Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Nothing does shine quite like a fresh coat of black paint.  This was my Buick right after it was repainted and the final buff/polish was done to it. 

IMG_20181016_150250098_HDR.jpg

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s a sports car.  The answer to “is a sports car reliable?” Is always no.  They get driven too hard.  All cars seem to have one failure point or other.  The trick is to find out where the failure points are.  With my golfGTI it’s carbon buildup in the heads and the turbo.  The hellcat will likely have something else.

This confuses me. So, sports cars aren't reliable because their drivers, drive them? That's one way to scare someone from getting a car...

Yes, all cars have their issues. And yes, it's not always the manufacturers fault, as they're supposed to provide the best products they can to their customers, and no, don't start pointing fingers at brands because one of their engines was a catastrophic failure, I'm not here for that. Just avoid those cars.

@GAME 55 As with all purchases, do your research before hand and try to figure out if you can afford to fix whatever goes wrong, that applies to everything. I honestly can't say a thing because I never looked those up, but I'm sure there's plenty of owners who will give you, or already have to others in forums, feedback on the car, issue related or not ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 hours ago, pred1tor83 said:

Very nice, grats on the purchase... time to work on the garage next?20200121_183244.thumb.jpg.eea554d2b6d31e063a170be4bb974167.jpg

Tell me about it. I need to build a shed to get the other stuff out then paint it and get some cabinets and counter tops in there.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Just a simple curious question, is there an engine that doesnt combust fuel and air until the piston is felt slowing down because lack of rotating energy?

or do they always intake those fuel and air every rotation cycle?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Just a simple curious question, is there an engine that doesnt combust fuel and air until the piston is felt slowing down because lack of rotating energy?

Dont think an engine would run very smoothly if it ran that way

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

There’s two cycle, 4 cycle (most engines), but there’s also diesel, turbines, rotary, and sterling.

if you are talking about two cycle it only takes in fuel on cycle 1 so every other cycle, and a four cycle engine only takes in fuel on cycle 3 or something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s two cycle, 4 cycle (most engines), but there’s also diesel, turbines, rotary, and sterling.

if you are talking about two cycle it only takes in fuel on cycle 1 so every other cycle, and a four cycle engine only takes in fuel on cycle 3 or something.

There's also Miller and Aktinson cycle as well, and there's also hit or miss engines but I don't think those are used much if at all anymore.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

There's also Miller and Aktinson cycle as well, and there's also hit or miss engines but I don't think those are used much if at all anymore.

Stirling isn’t either.  There are some two cycle diesels around.  They’re famously dangerous though, and quite rare.  They produce so much power per litre though that the temptation remains around.  Not sure there are any rotary engines at all currently being made.  A lot of old Mazda rx-7s still about though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There are some two cycle diesels around.  They’re famously dangerous though, and quite rare.  They produce so much power per litre though that the temptation remains around.

If you haven't already seen the truck named Piss'd off Pete.  v12 2-stroke Detroit diesel with twin superchargers.  Makes 1200ft. lbs. of torque and 474 hp. at 2150 rpm.

A little automotive trivia for the group of dedicated car enthusiasts we have here!

Name this engine. Hint: Either you've never heard of it or you love it. 

I have selected a picture of said engine with the intake manifold removed. Just to make this slightly more challenging.

enginework1-jpg-900x900-q100.jpg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

41 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

A little automotive trivia for the group of dedicated car enthusiasts we have here!

Name this engine. Hint: Either you've never heard of it or you love it. 

I have selected a picture of said engine with the intake manifold removed. Just to make this slightly more challenging.

enginework1-jpg-900x900-q100.jpg

All I can tell you is it’s a v6 with some sort of unusual double overhead cam system, probably Japanese, and it’s got pieces missing.  

2 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

If you haven't already seen the truck named Piss'd off Pete.  v12 2-stroke Detroit diesel with twin superchargers.  Makes 1200ft. lbs. of torque and 474 hp. at 2150 rpm.

And there’s the danger for all to see.  Those big scoop amifolds?  That’s the ONLY kind of manifold you can put on those things.  They work because they can completely cut off air to the engine.  The problem with two stroke diesel is they can burn their own oil, causing a phenomena called “thermal runaway” very very dangerous.  The only way to stop it is to cut off air to the engine.

56 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

2 ez taurus sho

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

hit or miss engines but I don't think those are used much if at all anymore.

Bare hit or miss engines are still sometimes seen in actual use as backup irrigation pumps on small farms.

Additionally, hit or miss engines are more common than people think, alot of old antique tractors actually run on hit or miss engines, the most famously known are the John Deere A and B models, part of an era called the Johnny Poppers.

However, hit or miss engine does not describe a cycle, it describes a governing technique. Most are just four strokes. They govern their speed by turning the ignition on or off instead of adjusting fuel flow. Hence, at any given power stroke the engine either hits or misses.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

36 minutes ago, vetali said:

2 ez taurus sho

Nice, have you ever owned one?

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All I can tell you is it’s a v6 with some sort of unusual double overhead cam system, probably Japanese, and it’s got pieces missing.  

Yes, those observations are more or less on the money. Here it is in all it's glory:

unnamed.jpg

Perhaps the best looking engine in automotive history? 

37 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Nice, have you ever owned one?

No, they are cool cars though

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Yes, those observations are more or less on the money. Here it is in all it's glory:

unnamed.jpg

Perhaps the best looking engine in automotive history? 

The IAC would have been a dead give away that it's a Ford.

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Additionally, hit or miss engines are more common than people think, alot of old antique tractors actually run on hit or miss engines, the most famously known are the John Deere A and B models, part of an era called the Johnny Poppers.

Technically the model A and B tractors were not hit miss engines.  The model B was 149ci or 2.4L large parallel twin, made roughly 16hp at the crank.  The Model A was larger.  They used a Wico brand magneto ignition with no cutout, they did have impulse couplings to help with hand starting though.  The throttle lever on the steering column attached to the governor with a large flat spring to tension against the flyweights.  The governor then attached to the carb with a solid rod.  Works very similar to a regular lawn mower engines throttle setup.  I rebuilt a model B from the crankshaft up back when I was in highschool.  Can tell you all kinds of cool things about those tractors.

What rims would look good on my car? I feel like some bronze ones could work. Want to be cheap...

20180711_134501.thumb.jpg.97a6a806440a30326ae57deb297cc66f.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

39 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Technically the model A and B tractors were not hit miss engines.  The model B was 149ci or 2.4L large parallel twin, made roughly 16hp at the crank.  The Model A was larger.  They used a Wico brand magneto ignition with no cutout, they did have impulse couplings to help with hand starting though.  The throttle lever on the steering column attached to the governor with a large flat spring to tension against the flyweights.  The governor then attached to the carb with a solid rod.  Works very similar to a regular lawn mower engines throttle setup.  I rebuilt a model B from the crankshaft up back when I was in highschool.  Can tell you all kinds of cool things about those tractors.

All of my experience is in 9000 series tractors, primarily scraper specials.

I was working in the small equipment portion of the dealership and one day the shop foreman put an injector replacement job for a 9520 in my work orders. After I did that job, I just kept getting 9000 series work orders. After a few months pretty much every 9000 series drive train job that wasn't a field job came to me. I hated those things, so eventually I started running them instead of fixing them. That was alot less stressful and surprisingly paid better too.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Thanks for the knowledgeful answers everyone, it soaked the curiosity out (I mean no joke, I was thinking to smooth out an engine that works like that by using a lighter piston.)

I was blown by how a GeMera could blink a Prius out with a 3 cyl, then it came to my mind... btw since there's no more GeMera info until writing this I could only learn those tech and imagine them

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

What i'm also thinking is if an Evo is getting a remake they should go away (sure) from being the normal new Lancer (the china version only)

if it still brings the 4B11T and those evo x exteriors which could be revamped and maybe 300Hrsprs threshold with the ol' SST 6 Spd, a 2020 version with factory led head lightings and some fresh character added to differ from the Final Edition (which isn't final anymore then, hmm)

then those upper class new JDM teens could be biting the bait, and cvt gangs wouldn't be bigger

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

What i'm also thinking is if an Evo is getting a remake they should go away (sure) from being the normal new Lancer (the china version only)

if it still brings the 4B11T and those evo x exteriors which could be revamped and maybe 300Hrsprs threshold with the ol' SST 6 Spd, a 2020 version with factory led head lightings and some fresh character added to differ from the Final Edition (which isn't final anymore then, hmm)

then those upper class new JDM teens could be biting the bait, and cvt gangs wouldn't be bigger

IIRC they are bringing back the evo name as another crossover like the new eclipse

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h