Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I can’t fit in a fiat or I would have bought an arabath.  I can’t fit in a tesla 3 either.  I can fit in a mini and I can fit in a golf 2 door.  I cannot fit in a golf 4 door.  Ibought a used 2008 golf GTI autobahn. (Their last 2 door)  My advice with any small engine big turbo car (which the GTI is) is look hard at the long term reliability.  Golfs of the era I bought them burn oil after 30,000 miles and have to have the turbo replaced (very expensive) at 80k.  Running a car at 12/1 compression has consequences.

It's not the compression, it's the Direct Injection.  Without the port injectors to clean the intake tract, the valves get coked up and the PCV makes everything disgusting.  One of my college friends had a Mk7 GTi, he loved it but it had issues with sludging from the DI.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a modern DI car, but the only ones I'm actually interested in aren't things I want to spend the money on them they want.  I'm saving for a 1st gen Viper right now....  I should probably sell a few of my cars to make it feasible, but I'm waiting for the economy to be a bit more stable.  I have a refi to close on right now.

Sorry for dragging this off topic lol, I'm a gearhead much more than a techie anymore.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

1 minute ago, pred1tor83 said:

I see a lot of talk about cars w/ half a motor...

Hide contents

20170122_001729.thumb.jpg.df2474274e1182650bfb666e1834c4cf.jpg

I feel out of place... 

Hey now, if I add up all my displacements, I have a 13.4L!

2.2, 4.0, 1.3, 1.6, 4.3...  But damn that TVS unit is sexy sounding even in an image lol.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Is the 4.0 a Jeep?  I'd argue that a AMC/Jeep 4.0 I6 is a whole engine haha.

3 minutes ago, greblos said:

Is the 4.0 a Jeep?  I'd argue that a AMC/Jeep 4.0 I6 is a whole engine haha.

Erm... Not quite lol.  It IS an I6, but:

xjs.thumb.jpg.840e55b563b124606d8c54b2e25384b1.jpg

4 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Hey now, if I add up all my displacements, I have a 817 CI!

134, 244, 79, 98, 262...  But damn that TVS unit is sexy sounding even in an image lol.

We are in 'Merica son, Freedom units only, 

3 minutes ago, pred1tor83 said:

We are in 'Merica son, Freedom units only, 

Fair enough, but only the 262 is an American engine...  If you can figure out what it is (without looking at my post history) I'll buy you a drink!

Edit:  Like I'll actually Venmo you $10 lol.

4 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Fair enough, but only the 262 is an American engine...  If you can figure out what it is (without looking at my post history) I'll buy you a drink!

Monza?  Pretty Jag, you should go full roadkill on it.

Spoiler

Draguar-screen-cap-1.jpg.5b59e63898da04099b6d1a1d186725fb.jpg

That car was one of my fav of theirs.  Especially cause just like my computer, it overheated, so their answer was to remove the hood!

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Running a car at 12/1 compression has consequences

Mines NA 11:1, but it's Jap so I don't expect it to go all Euro car on me 🤷‍♂️

Biggest downside is no cheap(er) fuel.

On the other hand I don't drive it 'nicely' lol. 

Just now, pred1tor83 said:

Monza?  Pretty Jag, you should go full roadkill on it.

Reveal hidden contents

Draguar-screen-cap-1.jpg.5b59e63898da04099b6d1a1d186725fb.jpg

Ooh, good try!  Not quite though.  It's a 1950 Hudson Commodore 6:

https://i.imgur.com/kjaAbZR.jpg

Thanks, I almost bought an XJ12 to do the Gambler 500 with, but my XJS has a full service history from purchase, it's basically numbers matching and is near perfect, so I'm not messing with it at all.

I'll grant the Jag 4.0 full-engine status.  Those are the best XJ-S wheels and colour too.  Nice!  I didn't even think of a Monza.  My guess would be S10/S15/Blazer/Jimmy.

Just now, hydrochloric said:

Ooh, good try!  Not quite though.  It's a 1950 Hudson Commodore 6:

Thanks, I almost bought an XJ12 to do the Gambler 500 with, but my XJS has a full service history from purchase, it's basically numbers matching and is near perfect, so I'm not messing with it at all.

Yeah, butchering it the way they did you would only do that to a junkyard find. Yours is way to nice.

I find the fact that you're in Michigan and your only American vehicle is a 1950 Hudson very amusing.

13 minutes ago, greblos said:

I'll grant the Jag 4.0 full-engine status.  Those are the best XJ-S wheels and colour too.  Nice!  I didn't even think of a Monza.  My guess would be S10/S15/Blazer/Jimmy.

Lol, thanks!  It handles much better than the V12 variant, much less weight on the nose.  "Kingfisher Blue" Jag called it, and trust me, I would never go for the obvious.  😉  My dad and I both have this issue where we buy what we like, not what makes sense...  He has at least one car from every decade 1900-2020, and none of them are what you'd expect.  It's a net loss game, but honestly it's hard to measure the fun over that time.

13 minutes ago, pred1tor83 said:

Yeah, butchering it the way they did you would only do that to a junkyard find. Yours is way to nice.

Thanks, I keep the thing covered any time I'm not driving it even.  It's one of my few real prides, though I don't drive it nearly as often as I should.  I still have a tank of gas from 2018 in it...  Thank god for stabil.

EDIT: Those wheels are factory, but they're not chrome-plated from factory.  That was a PO choice, and I love it.

10 minutes ago, greblos said:

I find the fact that you're in Michigan and your only American vehicle is a 1950 Hudson very amusing.

Hah, you have no idea!  I drive Manufacturer-plated vehicles 90% of the time, I had a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk in my driveway but swapped for my Audi because of the shutdown.  Even worse, the Hudson and VW are still in NY with my parents because I don't have anywhere except my driveway to park them, and neither has seen a winter.  I planned on breaking ground on a small garage/shop behind my garage this summer, we'll see what COVID-19 does to that.

DSCN0739[1].JPG

30 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Sorry for dragging this off topic lol, I'm a gearhead much more than a techie anymore.

Same here. It's why I work on big stuff. Still lots of computers and tech involved. Especially with auto guidance systems.

Spoiler

1680134944_DSCN07391.thumb.JPG.1d560b19cc3348b09aaa3ba426bb80f1.JPG

3 minutes ago, Victor Golf said:

Same here. It's why I work on big stuff. Still lots of computers and tech involved. Especially with auto guidance systems.

Hide contents

1680134944_DSCN07391.thumb.JPG.1d560b19cc3348b09aaa3ba426bb80f1.JPG

That looks like a Cummins 12V?  Possibly?  I'm not a great diesel guy.  I've only had my old Subaru and RX7 apart.

https://i.imgur.com/rMLEq1k.jpg

1 minute ago, hydrochloric said:

That looks like a Cummins?  Possibly?  I'm not a great diesel guy.  I've only had my old Subaru and RX7 apart.

https://i.imgur.com/rMLEq1k.jpg

Thats a superchargered Subaru.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

11 minutes ago, Victor Golf said:

Is that a 6-71 Detroit?

1 minute ago, hydrochloric said:

That looks like a Cummins 12V?  Possibly?  I'm not a great diesel guy.  I've only had my old Subaru and RX7 apart.

I am assuming you fabricobiled that super charger on there???  Very neat, I had an 86 Fiero w/ a 3800 Sc from a 2002 Bonneville...

I got bit by all the expensive hobby bugs, computers, cars, guns, cigars, liquor. 

Thankfully I met my wife and she is happy doing that extreme couponing thing, we couldn't afford both of us.  

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Mines NA 11:1, but it's Jap so I don't expect it to go all Euro car on me 🤷‍♂️

Biggest downside is no cheap(er) fuel.

On the other hand I don't drive it 'nicely' lol. 

Such things have gotten better since 2008.  Keeps an eye though.  High compression is hard on things like rings.  Tolerances are tight and things like carbon buildup cause problems fast.  That one is the source of my oil burning issue.  I could stop the oil burning instantly by removing the head and cleaning out the carbon.  The job is so expensive though it’s not worth doing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, pred1tor83 said:

I am assuming you fabricobiled that super charger on there???  Very neat, I had an 86 Fiero w/ a 3800 Sc from a 2002 Bonneville...

I got bit by all the expensive hobby bugs, computers, cars, guns, cigars, liquor. 

Thankfully I met my wife and she is happy doing that extreme couponing thing, we couldn't afford both of us.  

2 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Thats a superchargered Subaru.

Yeah, that whole setup was DIY.  It used a 2004 WRX ecu, I self-tuned it (then used that to tune our Lemons Ford Ranger & my own RX7 track car, MS3X), I LOVED that car.  It was faster than ALL 2.0 WRXs, I have literal proof from dynos and drives.  I can't tell you how much I loved that noise:

Just now, hydrochloric said:

That looks like a Cummins?  Possibly?  I'm not a great diesel guy.  I've only had my old Subaru and RX7 apart.

Its a FPT (Fiat Power Train) Cursor 13.

Top trim of this engine is 16L displacement, 700+ hp and 2400+ft-lbs of torque.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Such things have gotten better since 2008.  Keeps an eye though.  High compression is hard on things like rings.  Tolerances are tight and things like carbon buildup cause problems fast.  That one is the source of my oil burning issue.  I could stop the oil burning instantly by removing the head and cleaning out the carbon.  The job is so expensive though it’s not worth doing.

I'd beg to differ on your compression ratio causing faster wear.

It's the way the engines are used. Diesels commonly have compression ratios of 16/1 and can so for a few million miles between overhauls.

Car engines would last longer with less heat cycles due to (relatively) short trips.

33 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Erm... Not quite lol.  It IS an I6, but:

xjs.thumb.jpg.840e55b563b124606d8c54b2e25384b1.jpg

Its a jaaaaaaaag

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

Just now, Victor Golf said:

Its a FPT (Fiat Power Train) Cursor 13.

Top trim of this engine is 16L displacement, 700+ hp and 2400+ft-lbs of torque.

I'd beg to differ on your compression ratio causing faster wear.

It's the way the engines are used. Diesels commonly have compression ratios of 16/1 and can so for a few million miles between overhauls.

Car engines would last longer with less heat cycles due to (relatively) short trips.

I learned to drive on diesels.  The first vehicle I drove was a diesel rabbit.  Thing was so old the only color they came in was putty.  My dad bought it at a traveling car show.  One of the first diesel rabbits in the USA.  It had a 16:1 compression ratio or something crazy.  It flipped the odometer once and only died because my step brother wrapped it around a tree.  Diesels are totally different beasts.  They’re internally lubricated for one thing.  There’s a reason they call it diesel oil. No spark plugs, etc..  I’m talking gas.  12:1 is a lot for gas.  8:1 used to be common.  As for the diagnosis I’m just repeating what mechanics told me.  It’s a known problem with the vintage of 2.0l turbo I got.  It was one of the first production high compression gasoline turbo 4s made.  Back when 100hp/litre was unheard of.  The issue with the carbon has to do with the head and is somewhat complicated and struck me as a bit unlikely so I looked it up. apparently it’s a well known problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, HaRdLy007 said:

No, I have always given my computers car names and I just so happen to own a 2013 Turbo, but am looking at a 2020 VelosterN

Are you thinking of selling that 2013 Turbo then?

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1