Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

24 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Erm... Not quite lol.  It IS an I6, but:

xjs.thumb.jpg.840e55b563b124606d8c54b2e25384b1.jpg

LOVE the ol 2 door jags!  However, since I couldn't find one back in 90 when I was lookin for one w/ blown engine, found a 72 XJ6 w/ the frozen straight 6 in it, tore that junk outa there n slapped my 72 Buick Estate Wagon 455 and trans in it. 14.6 at 89 mph in the quarter 1st time out w/ no mods to stock grocery getter 455... Had 4 wheel disc brakes in 1972! and was definitely a posi rear-end... Tore up the Houston streets w/ that thing... Fun times!  Still like the looks of the 2-door WAY more!

1992-1972Jag-455.jpg

10 minutes ago, PCSolidcom said:

LOVE the ol 2 door jags!  However, since I couldn't find one back in 90 when I was lookin for one w/ blown engine, found a 72 XJ6 w/ the frozen straight 6 in it, tore that junk outa there n slapped my 72 Buick Estate Wagon 455 and trans in it. 14.6 at 89 mph in the quarter 1st time out w/ no mods to stock grocery getter 455... Had 4 wheel disc brakes in 1972! and was definitely a posi rear-end... Tore up the Houston streets w/ that thing... Fun times!  Still like the looks of the 2-door WAY more! K, I'm new here, no more car posts, sorry bout that... 

1992-1972Jag-455.jpg

1991-455jag-440bee.jpg

5 minutes ago, PCSolidcom said:

LOVE the ol 2 door jags!  However, since I couldn't find one back in 90 when I was lookin for one w/ blown engine, found a 72 XJ6 w/ the frozen straight 6 in it, tore that junk outa there n slapped my 72 Buick Estate Wagon 455 and trans in it. 14.6 at 89 mph in the quarter 1st time out w/ no mods to stock grocery getter 455... Had 4 wheel disc brakes in 1972! and was definitely a posi rear-end... Tore up the Houston streets w/ that thing... Fun times!  Still like the looks of the 2-door WAY more!

1992-1972Jag-455.jpg

My driver's license test car was a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon, you have no idea how bad I want a 6-speed LSX Roadmaster wagon.... MMMMMM

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

I still want your TVS, lol.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

well I'm back at home.

My civics dripped a little oil in the last 3 months so I'll check if anything is lose.

I got an airbag recall woot. I need to figure out what I'm going to do around my brakes.

I know I need new pads but I'd like to stop better so I'm thinking about swapping the front to something nicer as a rear drum swap to disk is a pain.

Honda why did you decide that based on what region you got 4 wheel disk included in the EX package, I get Canada has snow but so does most of the US.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I learned to drive on diesels.  The first vehicle I drove was a diesel rabbit.  Thing was so old the only color they came in was putty.  My dad bought it at a traveling car show.  One of the first diesel rabbits in the USA.  It had a 16:1 compression ratio or something crazy.  It flipped the odometer once and only died because my step brother wrapped it around a tree.  Diesels are totally different beasts.  They’re internally lubricated for one thing.  There’s a reason they call it diesel oil. No spark plugs, etc..  I’m talking gas.  12:1 is a lot for gas.  8:1 used to be common.  As for the diagnosis I’m just repeating what mechanics told me.  It’s a known problem with the vintage of 2.0l turbo I got.  It was one of the first production high compression gasoline turbo 4s made.  Back when 100hp/litre was unheard of.  The issue with the carbon has to do with the head and is somewhat complicated and struck me as a bit unlikely so I looked it up. apparently it’s a well known problem.

See the thing that does not make sense to me is the carbon build up is not a problem on diesel engines (pre EGR) and they are high compression direct injection engines just like the 2.0l VWAG engine.

I think that carbon build up on small DI engines is at least in part due to manufacturers recommending lighter and lighter oils that get sucked through the PCV system easily. Also PCV systems are under designed IMO to prevent this. They should be including an air oil separator in factory systems.

2 minutes ago, Victor Golf said:

See the thing that does not make sense to me is the carbon build up is not a problem on diesel engines (pre EGR) and they are high compression direct injection engines just like the 2.0l VWAG engine.

I think that carbon build up on small DI engines is at least in part due to manufacturers recommending lighter and lighter oils that get sucked through the PCV system easily. Also PCV systems are under designed IMO to prevent this. They should be including an air oil separator in factory systems.

I think it's related to heat, more than anything else.  I know that DI engines of all types benefit from a monthly-or-so italian tuneup, to get them hot and burn off deposits before they stick.  The little old diesels were always worked so hard, they just ran hotter basically all the time.

12 hours ago, OU812 said:

Thats a superchargered Subaru.

Is that what that.. Thing is doing there?? 😳 I was wondering 😅

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

I think it's related to heat, more than anything else.  I know that DI engines of all types benefit from a monthly-or-so italian tuneup, to get them hot and burn off deposits before they stick.  The little old diesels were always worked so hard, they just ran hotter basically all the time.

Without oil in the intake though, there is no carbon coming into the intake. Engines that just vent the crankcase to atmosphere don't have carbon buildup problems at all. 

35 minutes ago, Victor Golf said:

The carbon build up wasn’t supposed to happen and there actually isn’t very much of it. The problem is it can plug tiny holes and change the shape of surfaces with only very small amounts.  That rabbit I drove spewed carbon everywhere.  You punched the gas and you couldn’t see out the back window because everything was black.  It was the 1970’s. Different type of engineering.  Displacement and engine layout were fairly similar.  It got 56hp vs 200hp

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Without oil in the intake though, there is no carbon coming into the intake. Engines that just vent the crankcase to atmosphere don't have carbon buildup problems at all. 

True, that's the perfect solution lol.  But it contributes to short oil change intervals since the whole crankcase is exposed to the air.  My Hudson is VTA, it actually doesn't even have an oil filter, and it's change interval is 1500 miles lol.

Also @hydrochloric I love your Subaru. That's an awesome mod.

Here's my main engine. 

20180114_010537.jpg

Thanks, though that hasn't been my Subaru for about 5 years now.  I actually sold it to a guy who drove it from NY to SC, then SC to CO, where it got handed around a bunch.  I got a few messages from various owners out there trying to figure out just what it was before it finally got sold to about the most Suba-bro guy I'd ever seen.  He drifted it into a curb before scrapping it (though it was rusty as hell before I sold it so that didn't help).  I think he said it was at near 400k.

It's been a while since I've been in the subaru game, but based on the AVCS, and the plastic manifold with DBW, that's a 255 from a....  2008ish?

...I have an Eaton M90 sitting in my garage...  What car needs a supercharger, hmm....

23 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

If it makes you feel any better, my car hasnt changed any.... (Appearance wise, though that will hopefully change soon with a rear bumper switch)

Hahhah well, that makes me feel a bit better. :P Speaking of change, is @iDeFecZx on his 10th car yet?

@hydrochloricOhh, is that an inline 5? What turbo are you running, and you got any more pics? ;) i've always wanted a c5, though preferably an S6 plus or maybe an i5 S6.

(granted the B5 S4 will always be closest to my heart ;))

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

6 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Hahhah well, that makes me feel a bit better. :P Speaking of change, is @iDeFecZx on his 10th car yet?

11th, actually

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

46 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

1.) True, that's the perfect solution lol.  But it contributes to short oil change intervals since the whole crankcase is exposed to the air.  My Hudson is VTA, it actually doesn't even have an oil filter, and it's change interval is 1500 miles lol.

Thanks, though that hasn't been my Subaru for about 5 years now.  I actually sold it to a guy who drove it from NY to SC, then SC to CO, where it got handed around a bunch.  I got a few messages from various owners out there trying to figure out just what it was before it finally got sold to about the most Suba-bro guy I'd ever seen.  He drifted it into a curb before scrapping it (though it was rusty as hell before I sold it so that didn't help).  I think he said it was at near 400k.

3.) It's been a while since I've been in the subaru game, but based on the AVCS, and the plastic manifold with DBW, that's a 255 from a....  2008ish?

4.) ...I have an Eaton M90 sitting in my garage...  What car needs a supercharger, hmm....

1.) That's sweet. Don't know what VTA stands for though. 

2.) my dream is to have a 2 door GC one day. I hate suba-bro's. They ruin everything.

3.) Close. It's out of my 09 Legacy GT Spec.B. Rebuilt with forged internals after detecting rod knock very early. 

4.) I've got a turbo off of a skid steer I might give to a buddy with a Nissan mini truck. 

Sorry for delayed replies, I am at work.

7 minutes ago, IKnight said:

@hydrochloricOhh, is that an inline 5? What turbo are you running, and you got any more pics? ;) i've always wanted a c5, though preferably an S6 plus or maybe an i5 S6.

Man, so many people love the B5, but I just can't get into it.  Something about it is too... I dunno, not boring, certainly, but maybe uninteresting?  To me, at least.

IMG_6414s.thumb.jpg.d8603dbcf21c40741aaa40840005bced.jpg

Sadly that front bumper crack has gotten worse, it's now stitched up with zip ties.  Getting a new S bumper is like $1200+ IF you can find one, and the 100/A6 bumper doesn't flare out to meet the S widebody.  I'll probably end up getting a 100 bumper and trying to add these flares onto it...  It's got a Volvo S60R turbo, which IIRC is an K24-7600 equivalent.  It gave me another 1000RPM of full boost, so where before the car petered out around 5500, now it holds 25PSI all the way to 6500, and I think I lost maybe 300 rpm of spool.  Modern turbos, man.  Somewhere I have an underhood shot...  I haven't had it on a dyno as is, the typical claim for this setup is 350HP.

I would honestly have preferred an Avant too, but the price they command is nuts.  It's like a 120% increase over the sedans.  We never did get the S6+ in the US though.  OBDII emissions regulations and all.

1 minute ago, Victor Golf said:

1.) That's sweet. Don't know what VTA stands for though. 

2.) my dream is to have a 2 door GC one day. I hate suba-bro's. They ruin everything.

3.) Close. It's out of my 09 Legacy GT Spec.B. Rebuilt with forged internals after detecting rod knock very early. 

4.) I've got a turbo off of a skid steer I might give to a buddy with a Nissan mini truck. 

Sorry for delayed replies, I am at work.

VTA is vent to atmosphere, I was thinking in blow off valve terms for some reason.

Mine was a 4-door, but with the 2-door wing because I was a poser lol.  It did have custom 2.5RS/C stickers though!  I had a vinyl place cut it using the Subaru font, so it looked like it was factory lol.

Ah damn, one year isn't too far off.  One of my subaru-lifer friends had a Spec B, he loved it (I admit it's probably the best legacy).

I have like three turbos laying around that I keep threatening to put on our lemons car, but blowy-uppy and endurance racing and all.

No worries, I should be, but the shutdown has me off this week.

Anyone in the Calgary area looking for a practically new Police Interceptor? Well it looks like this BMW dealership has got you covered. Not sure if it's the 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost though. Not shots of the engine bay and they didn't specify. 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Police Interceptor Utility/Calgary/AB/5_47277138_CT2004428112450956?loc=T2H3C1&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dsp&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DT-EN-PROSPECTING-COMPETITORS-INTENDER&utm_content=carousel&fbclid=IwAR1i7-SbnF7jELswAZmLF_C_0qfb02YM95QbfAxMlzQaDCcdbHTo9ZD1XH0

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

32 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Man, so many people love the B5, but I just can't get into it.  Something about it is too... I dunno, not boring, certainly, but maybe uninteresting?  To me, at least.

~snip~

Sadly that front bumper crack has gotten worse, it's now stitched up with zip ties.  Getting a new S bumper is like $1200+ IF you can find one, and the 100/A6 bumper doesn't flare out to meet the S widebody.  I'll probably end up getting a 100 bumper and trying to add these flares onto it...  It's got a Volvo S60R turbo, which IIRC is an K24-7600 equivalent.  It gave me another 1000RPM of full boost, so where before the car petered out around 5500, now it holds 25PSI all the way to 6500, and I think I lost maybe 300 rpm of spool.  Modern turbos, man.  Somewhere I have an underhood shot... I haven't had it on a dyno as is, the typical claim for this setup is 350HP.

I would honestly have preferred an Avant too, but the price they command is nuts.  It's like a 120% increase over the sedans.  We never did get the S6+ in the US though.  OBDII emissions regulations and all.

~snip~

Yeah dude, finding bumpers for older S/RS model cars is a pain, and barely anyone makes good quality "oem look" replicas (good buisness idea??). http://www.cool-wheels.com/shop/products-page/audi/a6-c4/audi-s6-c4-front-bumper/ <-- That one should also work on an s4, though you may need different mounts and it's euro-spec so its a bit shorter than the US ones. Otherwise you'll probs have to fiberglass repair yours hahah. 

That turbo upgrade sounds great man, even if its 'only' makign 300bhp that's more than enough for a daily. 

Over here in Europe the sedans command more of premium, though I must admit I generally prefer the look of sedans ;)

I get what you mean with the B5, it's not a car with a lot of "character" and "charisma" so to speak, it's a very 'no-nonsense *subtle* german car'. Honestly I couldn't even explain to you why I like them as much as I do hahah. :P

Edit: I think your pictures were borked ;)

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

4 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Yeah dude, finding bumpers for older S/RS model cars is a pain, and barely anyone makes good quality "oem look" replicas (good buisness idea??). http://www.cool-wheels.com/shop/products-page/audi/a6-c4/audi-s6-c4-front-bumper/ <-- That one should also work on an s4, though you may need different mounts and it's euro-spec so its a bit shorter than the US ones. Otherwise you'll probs have to fiberglass repair yours hahah. 

That turbo upgrade sounds great man, even if its 'only' makign 300bhp that's more than enough for a daily. 

Over here in Europe the sedans command more of premium, though I must admit I generally prefer the look of sedans ;)

I get what you mean with the B5, it's not a car with a lot of "character" and "charisma" so to speak, it's a very 'no-nonsense *subtle* german car'. Honestly I couldn't even explain to you why I like them as much as I do hahah. :P

Oh, now that is an interesting bumper, I hadn't seen that one yet.  RS2-esque.  I'm not sure it would look as good on an S4 though, since the S6 had the body-color rub rail and the 4's had the black ones, it wouldn't carry that line.

One thing that's not hard to find is a complete euro bumper setup.  I think 2Bennet even had a front and rear set, gets rid of the silly moustache bar too.  Downside is they want like 3k...  On the rare occasion private seller ones show up they're less.  There are other options, a Zender one for instance, but they all seem to be S6 design, and apparently they're all pretty low quality.

I can't complain about the power, but through work I've had the chance to drive the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, so at this point anything under 500 horses seems a little lackluster lol.

I have a few friends with B5 S4s, they love them and have each rebuilt the engines like 3 times for more and more power.  They're just very meh to me, I like the C4 because it's relatively uncommon and I'm a sucker for I5s.

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

11th, actually

Cheeky sods. Number 5 until October or potentially sooner 👀👀😂

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, hydrochloric said:

Ah-ha, I knew I had some photos of that wing somewhere:

IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.8e86b36c9991c2553a28b2db1feb0e02.JPG

And I think this is a photo from the 3rd time the headgaskets gave out!  Lol.tracks.thumb.jpg.27b720d8f7682e3f531fac7824835c39.jpg

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

5....x2 + 1 = 11 :^)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

30 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Oh, now that is an interesting bumper, I hadn't seen that one yet.  RS2-esque.  I'm not sure it would look as good on an S4 though, since the S6 had the body-color rub rail and the 4's had the black ones, it wouldn't carry that line.

One thing that's not hard to find is a complete euro bumper setup.  I think 2Bennet even had a front and rear set, gets rid of the silly moustache bar too.  Downside is they want like 3k...  On the rare occasion private seller ones show up they're less.  There are other options, a Zender one for instance, but they all seem to be S6 design, and apparently they're all pretty low quality.

I can't complain about the power, but through work I've had the chance to drive the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, so at this point anything under 500 horses seems a little lackluster lol.

I have a few friends with B5 S4s, they love them and have each rebuilt the engines like 3 times for more and more power.  They're just very meh to me, I like the C4 because it's relatively uncommon and I'm a sucker for I5s.

Ohh right, I forgot that the S6/s4 lines just wouldn't match cause of the plastics. Probably a good idea to get yours fixed then, would definitely end up cheaper. 

Are you sure your friends weren't rebuilding them cause they blew up? ;)

18 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Wait what's number 4 and 5? I remember the c2, then the clio, then the mini (or was there something before it?), then idk hahahha.