Why do people like Apple products?

S3_
8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

On the software side of things:

I prefer iOS to any version of Android I've extensively used (Kit Kat or earlier). I haven't really used anything as a daily phone since then unfortunately as there is no way of testing phones long term.

Backing up to and restoring from iCloud works seamlessly and consistently. AFAIK there is no equally good alternative on Android.

Years of iOS updates, my old 5s was still running iOS 11 quite well while any Android alternatives stopped receiving updates about two years ago. 

Strong ecosystem between Mac OS and iOS -- having messages and calls synced between the two is incredibly useful and is enough all on its own to get me to stick with Mac OS/iOS as long as there are no major drawbacks or compelling features on competing platforms. Again, afaik there is no option that's even remotely close to being as reliable. 

I prefer Mac OS to Windows as I tend to have fewer issues -- Windows likes to restart at inopportune times, the scaling is worse, the multi touch support is worse, and I just generally find Mac OS easier and faster to navigate/work with.

On the hardware side of things:

Until fairly recently (last few years), the trackpads on virtually all Windows laptops were garbage in comparison -- nowadays the trackpad on the Surface Book/XPS come close, but still aren't quite as good (but are certainly good enough). 

I want a 15" laptop with a quad core, 16gb of ram, a 250gb nvme ssd, high quality >=QHD display, and no dGPU. I also want something that has great battery life, is light weight, has a good build quality/design, and has an excellent trackpad/keyboard. Macs satisfy all those boxes (well until the Skylake/Kaby Lake Macs as there is no iGPU only 15"). The XPS 15 and Surface Book 2 also satisfy my requirements just as well as a Mac, but they're both lacking Mac OS.

From the phone side, I want a big screen in a relatively small body with good battery life, an excellent camera, and that feels snappy. I don't care too much about the SoC (other than as a tech enthusiast) as I don't do anything demanding, so that's not a big concern to me, nor is the aspect ratio as I mostly use my phone for internet, email, and texting. My options here basically end up being an iPhone X and a Samsung S8. If it wasn't for the list of software preferences, I'd seriously consider an S8, but the advantages for iOS (for me) are just too important. But, I'd still love to give an S8 a shot, but there's no way to test a phone without paying a 15% restocking fee and an activation fee if I decide I don't like it (which is the big reason I haven't really used Android in a few years now).

I can agree that the OS software is easy to use and nice; however, when trying to do more complex task or customizing your computer, I find Windows beats Apple when comparing the simplicity of it. To transfer, back up, and restore items, there are different programs which can be installed on a users mobile device and computer to make that just as easy as Apple's iCloud. Window's updates at inappropriate times are the one thing that Apple beats Windows in. Other than that, Windows allows for more task to be performed on the computer with a bigger variety of customizability in hardware and OEMs. In terms of the hardware points that you mentioned, Android/Windows products can offer the same thing for a more valuable price. 

4 hours ago, divito said:

Not sure I'd go so far as to call Apple users not irrational. 

I'm neither calling them rational nor irrational.  I am talking to the question, which by it's very existence insinuates a certain degree of irrationality in such a liking.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To be honest like A LOT of people has said it comes down to personal preference, I Would be tech savy, so for me an Android phone is more appealing as it isn't limited to basic functions but has advance ones for more tech capable people, I Can modify my OS if I wanted to (but I'm not that ballsy yet...) .

Majority of ones who buy Apple products buy it for simplicity which I can agree on they are simple to work and communicate with each other. Their security isn't bad but I swear to god people who say 'It's harder to hack because it's apple' is talking out there a** because that was only valid when they came back into the market. Maybe their security is slightly better than android (Because of AppleID) but that doesn't make it immune to hackers or virus's. 

A lot of people I know who have an Apple phone tend to use it for it's simplicity as stated above and just ease of use. I Know Android has an easy layout function but isn't as good as apple due to its appeal to people knowing how to work it off the bat. 

The Pricing IMO Apple products are at times Over priced for what's being offered. Perfect example would be the IPhone X. Has some Hardware improvements and new features/ iOS controls but still I wouldn't class it at that price range maybe 100-200 off it would be more acceptable... Maybe.

But this is similar to the Console war Shiz. People usually pick their product depending on reviews they have seen, Family influence and Friend Influence. I mainly have an Android because the Sony Xperia's where in where I went to school so I bought one of them and from there I have just swapped from android to android. While my sisters year was influenced with Apple phones so that what she ended up starting off with. 

She now uses an Android (Samsung S8) now due to influences when it came to changing phone.

Only very few people actually buy a phone depending on the better hardware and price range, If your friends has that brand you tend to follow :/ 

Just for your guys info This isn't written by a neutral party I actually Despise Apple products due to personal issue's. (I Know how to work them Well but just don't like them) :D Feel free to Bring the Hate if you're one of them xD 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

7 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Because I like my iPhone & MacBook. But the fact most of my friends use iOS it's great with iMessage across my laptop & phone, also my 6S+ is running the latest version of iOS & still runs like it was new, no battery issues & being slowed down here. Also the resale value is pretty decent. Though I picked both up second hand because the seller either didn't research their value on the secondhand market, or just wanted them gone quick, paid at least 50% less than what the value at the time was for both.

imessage is awesome. <3

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'm neither calling them rational nor irrational.  I am talking to the question, which by it's very existence insinuates a certain degree of irrationality in such a liking.

That's fair.

People like Macs because they can't get virus's and never break due to impeccable build quality :)

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

because people have preferences? 

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

I buy Apple because it’s very reliable and robust. 

- Components are very high-grade.

- Succulent build quality and design (no other company has a better form factor, which counts for a lot really)

- High performance in many applications

- iPhones are great, no lag at all! Excellent memory management and power management. Great camera and default applications.

- MacBooks are very sleek and look great. MacOS is far superior than Windows 10. You get those annoying Windows Updates and can’t do anything? Thing of the past!

- Convenience is huge. I download a song off iTunes, it’s now also on all of my devices. I place any document in my iCloud folders (I have my documents, desktop, pictures.) and bam, all on my devices. It’s all first party too.

- Longevity. These things run for ages. You can still use an iPhone 3GS nowadays with a custom firmware. Smooth and good. MacBooks from 2009 are still supported. That’s 8 years ago now. 

Just to add, these threads are really baity. 90% of the people who argue haven’t used a Mac or iPhone before and simply say they read it online. I don’t get people who judge before they really try the product. 

21 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I don’t get people who judge before they really try the product. 

Because confirmation bias (and stupid).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I like IOS as it has all my old music.

i've been using an SE since it came out and it does everything I want it to.

Don't know why I chose it but hey

it's a phone and does the whole spotify thing

On 22/01/2018 at 1:34 AM, TheSLSAMG said:

Honestly, this is a tired topic that is asked on a weekly basis. If you use the search function, I'm sure you'll find hundreds, if not thousands of threads going into this very question.

Could say the same about this post but I would say the exact same thing.

Many people have similar if not the same thoughts on why people like Apple which are what they post and only once in a while does someone actually say something more detailed, instead of just, "It works". So these posts are quite annoying. 

23 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I buy Apple because it’s very reliable and robust. 

- Components are very high-grade.

- Succulent build quality and design (no other company has a better form factor, which counts for a lot really)

- High performance in many applications

- iPhones are great, no lag at all! Excellent memory management and power management. Great camera and default applications.

- MacBooks are very sleek and look great. MacOS is far superior than Windows 10. You get those annoying Windows Updates and can’t do anything? Thing of the past!

- Convenience is huge. I download a song off iTunes, it’s now also on all of my devices. I place any document in my iCloud folders (I have my documents, desktop, pictures.) and bam, all on my devices. It’s all first party too.

- Longevity. These things run for ages. You can still use an iPhone 3GS nowadays with a custom firmware. Smooth and good. MacBooks from 2009 are still supported. That’s 8 years ago now. 

Just to add, these threads are really baity. 90% of the people who argue haven’t used a Mac or iPhone before and simply say they read it online. I don’t get people who judge before they really try the product. 

Your last point is definitely true. 

I come across gamers who have never used an Apple device before or not used it enough.

I don't think Apple is a bad company because their products were 'easier' and 'faster' and Android and Windows, I don't imagine myself buying a Mac over a Pc, But at least I'm ready to acknowledge that Apple is not bad, rubbish, whatever. 

It's annoying having to be asked this question so much mainly because of the people saying the company is bad while not having any experience with it, or even worse, Having one bad experience. 

7 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

Your last point is definitely true. 

I come across gamers who have never used an Apple device before or not used it enough.

I don't think Apple is a bad company because their products were 'easier' and 'faster' and Android and Windows, I don't imagine myself buying a Mac over a Pc, But at least I'm ready to acknowledge that Apple is not bad, rubbish, whatever. 

It's annoying having to be asked this question so much mainly because of the people saying the company is bad while not having any experience with it, or even worse, Having one bad experience. 

Realisticially its just different. I think we should have a sticky of actual facts and let people base their opinions off that. This thread comes up about once a month I feel :/
I'm all for discussion but these threads get repetetive and never seem to go away!

Windows is good for what it does, provide functionality. MacOS is great for productivity, Linux is great for programming or a free option. I think we can all suggest that all of them can do the same thing at any reasonable speed. There just isn't any real win when we discuss this.

I have an iPhone 6s and have had it for 2 years, and it doesn't feel any slower tbh. My reasons for liking it are the ease of use, the nice UI, the better public image (in a third world country, there actually is better public image due to a phone), and also the fact that they last you a LONG time without actually needing a change.

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

i've used Mac osx for a few years, from 2014 until 2016. 

i like the UI, and the simplicity. and the delivery of updates in Macos as well. 

i don't like Apple as a company however. my early 2009 macbook was deemed "not supported" when macos sierra came out. 

thing is, i can grab a macbook as old as 2006 and install Windows 10 just fine. 

planned obsolescence is a thing with apple products. 

She/Her

Longevity. These things run for ages. You can still use an iPhone 3GS nowadays with a custom firmware. Smooth and good. MacBooks from 2009 are still supported. That’s 8 years ago now. 

If we're talking about custom ROMs, Android has the same longevity. Similarly with laptops not made by Apple.

MacOS is far superior than Windows 10. You get those annoying Windows Updates and can’t do anything? Thing of the past!

OSX is far from superior. Auto updates are the smarter way of dealing with the idiots that make up the majority of the user bases of the two operating systems. Plus, Windows update can be set to hours outside of when you use the machine. Whereas OSX is either automatic update, annoying popups every boot and every day, or disabling it altogether.

High performance in many applications

Same with Windows and Linux machines of similar spec.

Components are very high-grade.

Workstation grade, which isn't really better than consumer grade across the board, it's a set of different compromises, and only for some of their desktops.

Succulent build quality and design (no other company has a better form factor, which counts for a lot really)

Build quality isn't exceptional, neither is the design. As for form factor, Apple's machines are nit that great, many of their machines thermal throttle under circumstances that wouldn't happen with equivalents from PC OEMs

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If we're talking about custom ROMs, Android has the same longevity. Similarly with laptops not made by Apple.

OSX is far from superior. Auto updates are the smarter way of dealing with the idiots that make up the majority of the user bases of the two operating systems. Plus, Windows update can be set to hours outside of when you use the machine. Whereas OSX is either automatic update, annoying popups every boot and every day, or disabling it altogether.

Same with Windows and Linux machines of similar spec.

Workstation grade, which isn't really better than consumer grade across the board, it's a set of different compromises, and only for some of their desktops.

Build quality isn't exceptional, neither is the design. As for form factor, Apple's machines are nit that great, many of their machines thermal throttle under circumstances that wouldn't happen with equivalents from PC OEMs

I mean I get your points but I've already probably responded to most of these in other threads, so i'll sit this one out. I'll just let the market decide and at the end of the day people buy what they buy and I hope they will be happy.

22 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I hope they will be happy.

Fuck that, let them suffer for their poor decisions. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:33 PM, S3_ said:

To transfer, back up, and restore items

This is one thing I found much easier on my mbpr then my W7 machine with a FreeNAS box I made. On MacOS I just point the computer at the NAS, log into the Apple partition and the computer automatically backs up effortlessly. I was unable to achieve that with W7 as it does't support network backups in the non pro version. I couldn't find a program to replicate MacOS's built in functionality.

I always found that funny that Apple made it so easy to backup to a non Apple networked computer despite how their users are viewed as less tech savy while windows basically puts that kind of functionality behind a paywall (or a 3rd party program that I never found).

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

41 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

This is one thing I found much easier on my mbpr then my W7 machine with a FreeNAS box I made. On MacOS I just point the computer at the NAS, log into the Apple partition and the computer automatically backs up effortlessly. I was unable to achieve that with W7 as it does't support network backups in the non pro version. I couldn't find a program to replicate MacOS's built in functionality.

I always found that funny that Apple made it so easy to backup to a non Apple networked computer despite how their users are viewed as less tech savy while windows basically puts that kind of functionality behind a paywall (or a 3rd party program that I never found).

What makes Windows great for me is the ability to have more 3rd party programs to achieve your needs. It might seem more complicated to the average user but it really isn't.

Well, I have just used the Mac for few days and I can't get used to the system(I have used Win system for 20 years), so I gave it to my son. For the mobile products, iPhone 7 works smoothly comparing with my old Android phone.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, Jbonn386 said:

People like Macs because they can't get virus's and never break due to impeccable build quality :)

both statements are false. i wouldnt argue if you said rarely, but never and cant should be used with discretion. 

Keyboard on an Apple Macbook (i dont know the model) that my brother owned where the keyboard disconnected and stopped working. He got it fixed, but it still broke.

People are materialistic.

EDIT: I guess that applies to other products as well.

I like Apple for the longevity, ease of use, quality and customer service. 

Every android phone I had either stopped getting updates or had some stupid software issue.

Every Microsoft product I bought into they  almost instantly stopped making;

Surface 2 - Abandoned 

Microsoft Windows Phones (Lumia) - Abandoned 

Microsoft Band - Abandoned and had major hardware failure in the band itself

needless to say this got annoying so I traded  in my broken Band 2 at Best Buy towards iPhone 7 and have not looked back. :) 

I now own MBP iPhone Apple Watch AirPods, and Apple TV and have successfully switched my wife, who always complained about every android phone and Windows pc she had, and guess what not one single complaint about her iPhone 7 Plus, iMac Apple Watch or her AirPods..fantastic!

My 9 year old son with ASD has no issues using MacOS or his iPad, but always would get frustrated with his old Windows PC.

Customer service has been great too, twice my son has broken iPads and they have replaced them without questions. 

Anyway I could go on, but these are some of the reasons why our family uses Apple products and will continue to. :)