Personal opinions on RGB....

Fessas

I think it's been a progressive thing, PC lighting. I remember using stamdard LED fans, which had only 3 or 4 LEDs per fan, then you has cathodes and UV. But I'm not too sure when exactly RGB was first incorporated in widespread use. 

I built my system in 2012 and RGB lighting to my knowledge was either not around or not widespread in usage by manufacturers. I think single color LED light strips etc were however available.

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

I would say around four or so years ago, when peripherals first started incorporating RGB lighting in them.

The first keyboards I remember with it were Corsair's K70 RGB boards.

Some other manufacturer may have been earlier to the game, but those are the first I recall.

First they came for the keyboards...and we remained silent...

The modern rgb-craze started with the release of the Corsair K70 RGB in September or August 2014. Corsair had an exclusive deal for the cherry mx rgb switches for the first six months if I remember correctly. Corsair also released some other peripherals with rgb around this time, M65 RGB was one of them.

Around the same time razer started their chroma lineup with the blackwidow chroma, Kraken chroma and deathadder chroma. 

When corsair exclusivity deal with Cherry expired every manufacturer cherry-faithful released a keyboard with the new rgb switches. 

After that things have been ramping up every year, with more and more things getting rgb. Everything from sensible things like keyboard backlight to 24pin power-cables and logos on the back of monitors... 

RGB was as thing for years but only for holidays and parties.  But for us, it started with RGB keyboards when people got bored with single color lit keys (red, blue, yellow, green and white).  First clones and Cherry knockoffs and boards using large bulbs, then 3538 SMD's and Cherry MX RGB keyboards proper.  Then spread to mice, and then, computer cases.

Now we have RGB cables.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:00 AM, cartdog said:

I think it's been a progressive thing, PC lighting. I remember using stamdard LED fans, which had only 3 or 4 LEDs per fan, then you has cathodes and UV. But I'm not too sure when exactly RGB was first incorporated in widespread use. 

I built my system in 2012 and RGB lighting to my knowledge was either not around or not widespread in usage by manufacturers. I think single color LED light strips etc were however available.

LED fans have been around since 2002 at least.  I have built several PC's from around 2006 with windows and LED fans.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

When it started becoming affordable as with everything else. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Lol, I got RGB with my first build back in 2012 with the NZXT HUE RGB controller.

It's a "thing" or a fad?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

On 6/24/2018 at 3:31 AM, adamgasth said:

Im just curious

Around 4 or 5 years ago, manufacturers realized they could take the same white backlit keyboards they've been selling for years, replace the lights with colored lights, then double or triple the price because it "costs more" to manufacturer. (While this is partly true due to RGB vs white LED's, the difference is minuscule.) They then blasted their marketing departments with advertising, and (most) consumers opted to not fight back with requests for simple non-RGB versions of the same products at a reduced cost.

This seems to be the norm whenever manufacturers try to tell us what we want, rather than asking us what we want. For example: I'd gladly pay $1500 CAD for an iPhone XI or Samsung Note 9 "MEGA" that's a full 1cm thick if it meant I could have a real battery lasting 5-7 days for a full work week between charges. I'm essentially willing to do the whole "Shut up and take my money!" thing, but manufacturers aren't even willing to give consumers the choice to fork over gross amounts of cash for the features we might need or want.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for additional choice for the consumer, but what's happened here is that most manufacturers are only releasing RGB products at unjustifiable prices without providing a non-RGB equivalent for the entire lineup, leaving the consumer to either fork over big money to buy a product the advanced features they need and RGB lighting that they don't care about, or spend less money on a product that doesn't meet their needs because it is deemed "too simple" to include the features as it's not in the manufacturers' RGB lineup.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I think it peaked when Linus RGB a gaming chair. 

On 24/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, adamgasth said:

When did the RGB craze became a thing?

Waaaaaay too early

On 26/06/2018 at 6:27 AM, kirashi said:

Around 4 or 5 years ago, manufacturers realized they could take the same white backlit keyboards they've been selling for years, replace the lights with colored lights, then double or triple the price because it "costs more" to manufacturer. (While this is partly true due to RGB vs white LED's, the difference is minuscule.) They then blasted their marketing departments with advertising, and (most) consumers opted to not fight back with requests for simple non-RGB versions of the same products at a reduced cost.

This seems to be the norm whenever manufacturers try to tell us what we want, rather than asking us what we want. For example: I'd gladly pay $1500 CAD for an iPhone XI or Samsung Note 9 "MEGA" that's a full 1cm thick if it meant I could have a real battery lasting 5-7 days for a full work week between charges. I'm essentially willing to do the whole "Shut up and take my money!" thing, but manufacturers aren't even willing to give consumers the choice to fork over gross amounts of cash for the features we might need or want.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for additional choice for the consumer, but what's happened here is that most manufacturers are only releasing RGB products at unjustifiable prices without providing a non-RGB equivalent for the entire lineup, leaving the consumer to either fork over big money to buy a product the advanced features they need and RGB lighting that they don't care about, or spend less money on a product that doesn't meet their needs because it is deemed "too simple" to include the features as it's not in the manufacturers' RGB lineup.

Well I agree with the point where you say manufacturers should give moar choice..like my setup is black and blue and the only options I'd have when my corsair k90s die would either be a Chinese gamery Kb or an overpriced RGB monstrosity which I'd just assign constant blue color too (just like my mobo) also.. Motherboard manufacturers please stop the RGB madness like one of the msi z370 boards is marketed as made with rgbs in mind 

• 2 weeks later...

When will screens become RGB?

7 minutes ago, Lopiky said:

We all love RGB but how long until they turn everything RGB even GPU's and CPU's?

You can already get GPU's with rgb lighting on the cooler and backplates, and CPU coolers also have rgb options.

19 minutes ago, Lopiky said:

We all love RGB

hey speak for yourself

GPU's and CPU's

RGB GPUs already exist. CPUs wouldnt make sense since they are always covered, but you can get RGB Coolers

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They have always been?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, thedude4bides said:

You haven't lived until you've seen an RGB PSU, brah

Asus has got your back. 

1149108E-C4D5-444A-84B4-889D34037245.jpeg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I hate when I buy a monitor and it’s CYMK.... 

what’d be really cool is an RGB LED. 

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

When will RGB because RGB?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 hours ago, Lopiky said:

We all love RGB but how long until they turn everything RGB even GPU's and CPU's?

Just bought a rgb gpu today :) Its da Aorus gtx 1060 xtreme and iiiii love it xD

I have a serious problem with RGB! Black is a nice sleek color and looks really good in PC's, but no one seems to be making black RGB! That's the real crime here!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.