Firefox 57 (aka Quantum) out now. Huge performance improvements.

pyrojoe34

@ScratchCat Might go and look into it. But I really like my current version of FF, and I therefor don't really see a reason to upgrade. Did try the 56 64 bit version, but it consumed 3+ gb of memory and multiple processes. My version 43 of firefox "only uses" ~1 gb of ram, and a single process. Easy to terminate in task manager.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Great now all thats left is to make it even faster and more resource efficient by integrating DNS based ad blocking.

If you haven't, read up on modifying your hosts file. (on windows at least) Works really well.

54 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

The fact that some of my fav add ons no longer, and will never, work anymore makes me use WaterFox instead. Until they re-allow creators to make UI changes and better customizability I wont be using FF:Q.

I can't predict the future, but I think the add-ons will updated shortly.. it is not the first time that Firefox had a change to the add-on system that required updated. And if it doesn't, you'll have some alternative that will show up that is equal or better.

I'm currently on 59, hi from the future. FF now uses only 1mb of ram and can run on 100K monitors no problem.

On a serious note. It totally got faster in 59. I feel it a lot as my PC is basically a garbage can.

My only problem with it so far is that the tabs are square instead of rounded. The fact that that's my only complaint tells me that this is a fantastic update when you also take into consideration all of the significant performance update, which I noticed about 10 seconds into using this new version. Once I removed the pointless spaces in the address bar, the change in design stopped bothering me, since it's basically the same as before, which I liked.

Also, YouTube Subscription Checker by XrXr still works, and since that's the main reason I use Firefox over chrome, that's great, too.

EDIT: So, Twitch on Firefox uses about 30% more of my CPU than Chrome, so that sucks. Then again, before the update, Twitch wouldn't work at all for me on FF, so that's an improvement I guess?

For those who don't know, in Firefox, under customization, you can set the theme to:

- Light

- Dark

- or a pre-made custom theme, with suggestions given and "Get more theme" button which jumps you to the website to get more themes.

I use the dark one.

Then you can pick if you have a touch friendly extra large version of the interface, normal, or compact under the "Density" drop down menu list.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

For those who don't know, in Firefox, under cutsomization, you set the theme to:

- Light

- Dark

- or a pre-made custom theme, with suggestions given and "Get more theme" button which jumps you to the website to get more themes.

I use the dark one.

Oh my god thanks for letting us know, I just upgraded earlier today and was wondering about a dark theme. It's SOOOOOOOOOO nice.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

9 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

My only problem with it so far is that the tabs are square instead of rounded. The fact that that's my only complaint tells me that this is a fantastic update when you also take into consideration all of the significant performance update, which I noticed about 10 seconds into using this new version. Once I removed the pointless spaces in the address bar, the change in design stopped bothering me, since it's basically the same as before, which I liked. Oh, and I wish the pinned sites in the "New Tab" were as large as they used to be, but it's not that bad, and you can easily add more if you want. So, a pretty good update I'd say.

Also, YouTube Subscription Checker by XrXr still works, and since that's the main reason I use Firefox over chrome, that's great, too.

EDIT: So, Twitch on Firefox uses about 30% more of my CPU than Chrome, so that sucks. Then again, before the update, Twitch wouldn't work at all for me on FF, so that's an improvement I guess?

Twitch uses around 35% on my Atom Z3735, probably the hardware acceleration is still a bit unstable in Firefox.

Update: It seems to be twitch itself. Firefox uses the normal flash player, chrome uses its own version which probably fixes many things

I have really liked it, already used Firefox before now all more reason to use it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I have been using it for a while now (well beta version), and it is amazing!

I think Firefox is back on the map with this web browser.

Really ? i tought you only use Edge and internet explorer.

hmm might switch, if anyone has an easy way to transfer around 80 tabs from chrome to FF with less effort then just opening all the same tabs one by one lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I can't predict the future, but I think the add-ons will updated shortly.. it is not the first time that Firefox had a change to the add-on system that required updated. And if it doesn't, you'll have some alternative that will show up that is equal or better.

Nope Any Add-Ons that change the UI in any way are no longer allowed and to do most of what these add ons do you have to go and change the CSS yourself and even then there's limits.

Being that the new folder design for bookmarks looks really bad imo, here's a method of changing it for any curious(from various support/reddit posts):

1. Type about:support in address bar - 2: Click "Open Folder" - 3. Navigate to or create the "chrome" folder. 4. Open or create userChrome.css.

5. copy/past this into it:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

.bookmark-item[container]
    {
        list-style-image: url(' /* Base64 code goes here */ ') !important;

}

You can find the Base64 code for various folder icons here - https://www.iconfinder.com/ - I personally used https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/33890/folder_icon#size=128

Just click "Copy Base64 PNG" and paste it there; make sure to leave the ' and ' on either end and remove the /* and */.

Then just restart Firefox.

actually its quite amazing how good it got, if you use youtube with the New UI on chrome it lags severely it barely opens a new video takes 2-3 seconds, new firefox is instant so nice

All I need is an adblock and stability. Gonna install it as soon as I get home.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Been running the pre release for about a month now and haven't had a single complaint

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Is it a case of using less RAM...because its hitting the HDD/SSD its installed on harder?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Is it a case of using less RAM...because its hitting the HDD/SSD its installed on harder?

Good question. I don't know the answer but I don't think so. I have drive caching disabled on FF and still saw a decrease in RAM use. I think it's probably just better optimization and a reduction in redundant data caching.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

For those who don't know, in Firefox, under customization, you can set the theme to:

- Light

- Dark

I use the dark one.

Then you can pick if you have a touch friendly extra large version of the interface, normal, or compact under the "Density" drop down menu list.

I can't find that on the Android version.

5 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

I can't find that on the Android version.

I don't believe FF on Android is customization (Maybe there is a flag for it, don't know). It does support add-ons so *maybe* there is something out there but I doubt it.

Switching my shitty Surface 3 back to Firefox after using Edge. I'm so happy that it doesn't guzzle my RAM anymore!