My teacher is making me commit piracy....

So my teacher is trying to make us download videos from youtube with stuff like youtubetomp4.com or something like that. I looked into it and it is violating the TOS and I showed it to her and I was told to never use Youtube again if thats correct. Joke of a teacher.

I like pie.

My professor photocopied a text book's first 8 chapters including the page about copyright and handed out really nice bound copies. He's a savage.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Actually it depends on where you live. In the UK, if its for educational purposes, copyright laws may be mitigated and depending on the content, you may be able to copy the whole/parts of it. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Everyone does this, why are you so concerned?

Nobody is going to come arrest you for that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why is she forcing you to do this? How does this fit in with your curriculum?

Her retort makes absolutely zero sense. She acts like somehow using YT is illegal. Maybe she assumes you just watch pirated videos on YT, idk.

10 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

As if a terms of service ever actually meant anything

What's the issue you have exactly?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

I wish the teacher would get arrested, all we do is Photoshop all day.

Do you visit a regular school or a university? Seems strange to me.

Yeah copyright isn't a simple cut and dry as people assume it is.

My understanding is that there are a number of factors that may or may not apply.

Fair Usage or fair dealing - for example copyright isn't infringed if its used in study or research, if you are using it in a insubstantial way, whether or not you make a gain out of its use whether this be financial or not, if it is for personal usage etc etc. 

There are also loads of examples of when copyright isn't eligible for example if you are stating known facts, such as heights, measures, concepts etc.

My guess is that you teacher is giving you this task as part of your studies, with that in mind it would seem there isn't any wrong doing.

To be fair though, I would be less worried about the copyright implications and more worried about my studies.  If I'm honest.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

To be updated... when I get time

7 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

I wish the teacher would get arrested, all we do is Photoshop all day.

Hate speech is not allowed here, and that way of thinking is very, very wrong.  

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Hate speech is not allowed here, and that way of thinking is very, very wrong.  

That's not hate speech.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

18 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

So my teacher is trying to make us download videos from youtube with stuff like youtubetomp4.com or something like that. I looked into it and it is violating the TOS and I showed it to her and I was told to never use Youtube again if thats correct. Joke of a teacher.

If your actually bothered by this, go to her boss and report her for copy right infringement. You might also contact the government as well. But Id go to her boss first and see what happens. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

Regular school

I fail to understand the issue here

I assume they want you to be able to view the video(s) offline? Which you can do if you pay for youtube Red, or you can just download them?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

That's not hate speech.

True, it's not, but I personally don't know how to classify it (I'm a non native english speaker), so this naturally is the first thing that came to mind. I'm (pretty) sure it is still against CS though. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

If your actually bothered by this, go to her boss and report her for copy right infringement. You might also contact the government as well. But Id go to her boss first and see what happens. 

And make the teacher potentially lose their job? That's just going wayyyyyyy too fucking far. 

I think OP should just stop whining about a minuscule piracy infringement (assuming that the country they are in doesn't have exceptions) and just grow up :P 

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I fail to understand the issue here

Well teachers should not be pointing students towards 3rd party sketchy sites to begin with. Secondly they should be getting the videos legitimately. There is no reason to download the videos as its always going to be there and accessible 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's just going wayyyyyyy too fucking far. 

The law is the law. Also, I said if the OP was bothered by this. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Assuming that there are no exceptions in that country. 

Both the UK and USA (at least in one of the states) have copyright exceptions for educational purposes. As they are complaining about their teacher, you can more or less safely assume its probably for an educational purpose meaning it just depends in which country/state he lives in. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well teachers should not be pointing students towards 3rd party sketchy sites to begin with. Secondly they should be getting the videos legitimately. There is no reason to download the videos as its always going to be there and accessible 

Unless you're offline?

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Unless you're offline?

If you are a student you are guaranteed to get an internet connection in some way or another seeing how much you need it for school to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

As far as I am aware downloading a Youtube videos isn't illegal if the video and your intentions falls under Fare Use.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

If you are a student you are guaranteed to get an internet connection in some way or another seeing how much you need it for school to begin with. 

But do you want every student streaming a video at the same time?

I will leave you with RMS

“Piracy”

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

But do you want every student streaming a video at the same time?

Why does that matter? University connections are usually multiple Gbps, telling them to download it through a sketchy 3rd party app instead just to stop them from streaming is stupid.