My teacher is making me commit piracy....

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

I love that a post about piracy, has lead to a conversation about what generation will lead the human species to extinction. :)

Cause and effect, my good man.

51 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Everyone complains to too much, (period not comma) You just complained about how boring your classes were are. How is that any different then was than what the OP said about "doing Photoshop all day".  Maybe the OP doesn't like doing using Photoshop? That isn't a bad thing, (make a new sentence here) now they know they probably shouldn't get a job doing Photoshop.

Complaining is one this trying to get someone fired is another. I get the feeling that OP is just trying to get their teacher in trouble because they don't like the teacher for one reason or another. If that is the case I will have to disagree with OP, We have all been there we have all had teachers we don't get along with. That is part of School and it is also part of real life. You have already talked with the teacher and they have hear your complaints, they apparently didn't agree with you. If you don't want to download YouTube videos give the teacher an alternative and ask if it is ok to use that or just use the alternative and ask for forgiveness later :).

I could be completely wrong after all it is hard to tell the situation from a few sentences on a forum. This teacher could be the scum of the earth for all I know.

I don't know the whole story and honestly I don't really care to know.

As for the Downloading Youtube video.

Your breaking TOS with Youtube. I agree it isn't the best thing for a teacher to be asking their class to do. But that alone isn't piracy or against the law. Now depending on what video your downloading and the purpose your might be crossing into piracy issues.

I don't want to be "that guy" but your grammar really weakens your argument.  I am only going to correct your first paragraph because I don't have the patience to fix the whole thing.  

Aside from that, my point is: "Fair Use" is protected under the TOS.  This allows all material on the website to be used for education, parody, or commentary.  Look at my above posts and educate yourself.  I provided two sources proving this.  First a Stanford paper, and second a word from Youtube themselves.  

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎06 at 9:41 AM, Windows Server 2003 said:

So my teacher is trying to make us download videos from youtube with stuff like youtubetomp4.com or something like that. I looked into it and it is violating the TOS and I showed it to her and I was told to never use Youtube again if thats correct. Joke of a teacher.

Really depends on context. If it's educational, then it's typically fine. Anything else is a grey area. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 11/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, mynameisjuan said:
On 11/6/2017 at 1:21 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Why does that matter? University connections are usually multiple Gbps, telling them to download it through a sketchy 3rd party app instead just to stop them from streaming is stupid. 

We've already established this is not a University.  We have also not established whether all use of these 'downloaded' videos is intended for on school grounds use.  If its for some kind of homework at all, then offline needs to be addressed.  Schools do not guarantee you have internet at home - shit doesn't work like that. 

28 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but your grammar really weakens your argument.  I am only going to correct your first paragraph because I don't have the patience to fix the whole thing.  

Aside from that, my point is: "Fair Use" is protected under the TOS.  This allows all material on the website to be used for education, parody, or commentary.  Look at my above posts and educate yourself.  I provided two sources proving this.  First a Stanford paper, and second a word from Youtube themselves.  

Yeah I am retarded when it comes to the English language. I got my point across so that is a win in my book!!   

I only skimmed the two sources you posted, but from what I could tell everything you posted only talked about what you can and can't do with the content and what you can and can't upload to Youtube. Your are correct "Fair Use" is protected under the TOS. But it said nothing about how your acquired that content in the first place. You could have downloaded it off another website or screen captured it, or the creators could have handed you a copy. But downloading content off Youtube is technically against the TOS. Doesn't matter what license it has or if the creators gave you permission Youtube strait up said. 

You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content.

..........so?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

That wasn't the point.

The point is kids today complain too much without stopping to think how awesome their curriculum actually is.

Hey can you not make generalizations? Yea we don't always have the right attitude, but A neither do older people and B you did it too in the past, just maybe not with school, and that is a fact. Just because one kid does something means you say it for the whole generation? ANd only for that generation as well?

2 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Everyone complains to much, You just complained about how boring your classes were. How is that any different then was the OP said about "doing Photoshop all day".  Maybe the OP doesn't like doing Photoshop? That isn't a bad thing, now they know they probably shouldn't get a job doing Photoshop.

Complaining is one this trying to get someone fired is another. I get the feeling that OP is just trying to get their teacher in trouble because they don't like the teacher for one reason or another. If that is the case I will have to disagree with OP, We have all been there we have all had teachers we don't get along with. That is part of School and it is also part of real life. You have already talked with the teacher and they have hear your complaints, they apparently didn't agree with you. If you don't want to download YouTube videos give the teacher an alternative and ask if it is ok to use that or just use the alternative and ask for forgiveness later :).

I could be completely wrong after all it is hard to tell the situation from a few sentences on a forum. This teacher could be the scum of the earth for all I know.

I don't know the whole story and honestly I don't really care to know.

As for the Downloading Youtube video.

Your breaking TOS with Youtube. I agree it isn't the best thing for a teacher to be asking their class to do. But that alone isn't piracy or against the law. Now depending on what video your downloading and the purpose your might be crossing into piracy issues.

I wouldn't want her fired because of the piracy but because she has said she would be happy if multiple students were to kill themselves.

I like pie.

7 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

I wouldn't want her fired because of the piracy but because she has said she would be happy if multiple students were to kill themselves.

IF this is true, then you should have already brought this up with the Principal of the school. If they refused to act, you should have went to the Superintendent (or other regional supervisor).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah, it's common.

I had to download a video from youtube and embed it into a website as a task for a final exam (well it was basically blind picking a task and that's the one i got).

And we had to bring an empty CD to school once so they could put a cracked version of robodraw on it so we could make tasks at home.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Of I were OP's teacher, A) I would provide the videos on the class pc for the students to put on their flash drives. 

B) Anyone complaining of copyright infringement gets to write an essay on the topic for their learning benefit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

IF this is true, then you should have already brought this up with the Principal of the school. If they refused to act, you should have went to the Superintendent (or other regional supervisor).

Everything also depends on context.  It may have been a misinterpreted bad joke.  If she was serious then it would be a different story.  

However, this is a deviation from the intended argument of the student.  The purpose of this thread was to ask the question: "Can I put my teacher in prison for downloading videos for educational purposes?"  I believe he has already received a relatively solid answer.  Whether he chooses to accept the evidence of "Fair Use" is up to him.  

On 11/6/2017 at 1:07 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Well teachers should not be pointing students towards 3rd party sketchy sites to begin with. Secondly they should be getting the videos legitimately. There is no reason to download the videos as its always going to be there and accessible 

And then the Kid comes home Mom i need $75.00 to buy online videos for a school project.  Sounds like from another comment it for photshop and maybe video editing class. so doing this instead of stock images maybe? idk  but seems pretty harmless

4 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

And then the Kid comes home Mom i need $75.00 to buy online videos for a school project.  Sounds like from another comment it for photshop and maybe video editing class. so doing this instead of stock images maybe? idk  but seems pretty harmless

Exactly!  My school has film editing classes in which we use licensed copies of Final Cut Pro.  We don't use sketchy programs, but we still download videos from 2conv and other websites.  There is absolutely nothing illegal with this because we are using the material for education under "Fair Use."  

20 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Hey can you not make generalizations? Yea we don't always have the right attitude, but A neither do older people and B you did it too in the past, just maybe not with school, and that is a fact. Just because one kid does something means you say it for the whole generation? ANd only for that generation as well?

Do you not notice you're falling in line and acting like a millennial? You know you're perpetuating the butthurt whiny stereotype?

3 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

Do you not notice you're falling in line and acting like a millennial? You know you're perpetuating the butthurt whiny stereotype?

I'm not. Whiny would have been "STFU you retard stop assuming we're all the same because one person does something. Like you guys are so annoying now let me get my safe space". I purposely made it sound like it wasn't whiny, but obviously you were one of the people who couldn't tell...

6 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I'm not. Whiny would have been "STFU you retard stop assuming we're all the same because one person does something. Like you guys are so annoying now let me get my safe space". I purposely made it sound like it wasn't whiny, but obviously you were one of the people who couldn't tell...

Dude you gotta chill out. I feel the electricity.

2 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

Dude you gotta chill out. I feel the electricity.

I am chill though...... How did my reply imply that I'm not?

4 hours ago, RubSchneider said:

I'm definitely laughing at how you're acting exactly the way you claim someone else is. You seem really worked up about all of this. You should take a step back and relax. Though I feel this thread has run its course.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Shit in university all everyone does is piracy since the book and online material courses are $400+ per item... some professors even promote to rip it from a site or buy a single user code for the whole class... 

this is super funny thread to read btw person whining instead of studying xD