My teacher is making me commit piracy....

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

Yeah I guess that it one way to do it but if they are all watching it at once why not just watch it on the projector via the Teacher's computer? So we are only downloading/streaming once not 20 times.

Perhaps the teacher wants the kids to use the video to help them complete an assignment.  The assignment may require the kids to re-watch parts of the video.  

Additionally, my school has a film editing class.  In my school we are allowed to download music and short clips from youtube in order to form videos for our schools news-show.  It makes sense to download videos in order to edit them.  I don't understand why this kid is so against video downloading.  Perhaps he just hates his teacher and wants her "fired" because he doesn't like the way she teaches.  I think that this kid needs to grow up and not be so offended over everything.  

2 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

Perhaps the teacher wants the kids to use the video to help them complete an assignment.  The assignment may require the kids to re-watch parts of the video.  

Additionally, my school has a film editing class.  In my school we are allowed to download music and short clips from youtube in order to form videos for our schools news-show.  It makes sense to download videos in order to edit them.  I don't understand why this kid is so against video downloading.  Perhaps he just hates his teacher and wants her "fired" because he doesn't like the way she teaches.  I think that this kid needs to grow up and not be so offended over everything.  

It has nothing to do with he hates his teacher or not. This is literally a violation of copyright. Bitch and moan about millennials complaining all you want but its a violation whether you like it or not. 

Also in your school you probably have certain videos you can download and downloading short clips is not the same as the whole thing. 

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It has nothing to do with he hates his teacher or not. This is literally a violation of copyright. Bitch and moan about millennials complaining all you want but its a violation whether you like it or not. 

Also in your school you probably have certain videos you can download and downloading short clips is not the same as the whole thing. 

Its different for education.  If she was reposting videos, claiming they were her own, and making money from them then it would be in violation of copyright.  

Here is a quote from a Stanford article on this subject.  

"Unlike academic coursepacks, other copyrighted materials can be used without permission in certain educational circumstances under copyright law or as a fair use. “Fair use” is the right to use portions of copyrighted materials without permission for purposes of education, commentary, or parody."

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/academic-and-educational-permissions/non-coursepack/

Please take the time to educate yourself on the subject before you spread any more misinformation, or try to "get my teacher fired for it"

2 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

Its different for education.  If she was reposting videos, claiming they were her own, and making money from them then it would be in violation of copyright.  

https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. "

You dont have to sell or claim you own it to violate copyright. 

I hate to say it, but even though it technically violates the TOS, everyone and their mother seems to do it.

I mean, think about it. Where do you think your friends get their MP3s from? It's pretty likely that they got them off a YouTube downloader, at least in my circles. I'm the only one who streams over Spotify Premium and actually buys the songs. :/

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. "

"Fair Use" is protected under the TOS.  And even if it wasn't the worst thing that can happen in violating a TOS is to have your account terminated.  You can't be thrown in prison unless you break a US law.  

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Since you want to cherry pick the youtube TOS to make your point, I will also prove that it does not even come close to violating the TOS by using info gathered from Youtube.com.  

https://www.youtube.com/yt/about/copyright/fair-use/

"Different countries have different rules about when it’s okay to use material without the copyright owner’s permission. For example, in the United States, works of commentary, criticism, research, teaching, or news reporting might be considered fair use. Some other countries have a similar idea called fair dealing that may work differently."

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

TOS != Law, breaking the TOS does not mean you've broken any laws it simply means that YouTube can prevent you from using their services.

Finally someone with some sense of intelligence.  +1

i have had profs hand out printout of expensive ass literature, viewing youtube in public, even letting us stream full on movies ilegally in class during break, i have seen companies using cracked windows on all their systems. but as long as everyones cool with it i wouldnt say anything. dont be THAT guy. dont get me qrong im not saying you should violate copyright and do illegal stuff im saying no matter how you feel about it dont exile yourself from the group only to protect the copyright of some guy you dont know. a few weeks later nobody is gonna care about the movie/text or whatever but everyones gonna remember you were the party pooper. i think its more important to make friends then uphold the law 100% of the time to the last word.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

14 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Hold the presses it's the butterfly effect!! damn murderous piracy!

Why do you have a transparent background for your profile picture?

Anyone else think this is sorta like an over exaggerated pursuit of something that shouldn't matter , first off the title i though it was like making OP download cracked version of highly over priced software's or making Camed Movies from local theater  or rip blurays with OP as a middle man or something , that shit is legit "piracy" in it's full scale. for a youtube video?  If it's for educational purposes let alone for helping you gain info , addressing the issue is okay , but going overboard it's crazy.

but by this standard one probably should get written permission from a singer or a band each time just to convert your audio per device or per transfer of copyrighted material with owners consent.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

I mean, once a student threatened suicide and she said she would be happier if he did, so getting fired isnt always a bad thing in this situation.

this is relevant how?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Why do you have a transparent background for your profile picture?

Transparent??

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

That wasn't the point.

The point is kids today complain too much without stopping to think how awesome their curriculum actually is.

Some kids.

Just like back when I was a kid, some kids complained too much, without realizing how much better they had it than the Baby Boomers.

Just like back when the Baby Boomers were kids, some complained too much, without realizing how much better they had it over the generation before that, etc.

This whole "Millennials complain too much" meme is simply not true. They complain a lot about certain things, like how many of them will never be able to afford a house, despite making more (with inflation factored in) than their parents did, or how a University Degree really doesn't mean much anymore (certainly not a guaranteed well paying job like in times past), etc.

They're more visible because they have tools to make their voice heard more effectively. When I was a kid, the internet was in it's infancy still, and people that complained simply weren't heard. When my parents were kids, there was no internet or social media for them to have a voice on. So their complaints weren't heard either.

Do you understand the point I'm trying to make? The idea that Millennials are somehow whinier than kids from the past just isn't true. No more true than Baby Boomers complaining about Generation X kids.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Some kids.

Just like back when I was a kid, some kids complained too much, without realizing how much better they had it than the Baby Boomers.

Just like back when the Baby Boomers were kids, some complained too much, without realizing how much better they had it over the generation before that, etc.

This whole "Millennials complain too much" meme is simply not true. They complain a lot about certain things, like how many of them will never be able to afford a house, despite making more (with inflation factored in) than their parents did, or how a University Degree really doesn't mean much anymore (certainly not a guaranteed well paying job like in times past), etc.

They're more visible because they have tools to make their voice heard more effectively. When I was a kid, the internet was in it's infancy still, and people that complained simply weren't heard. When my parents were kids, there was no internet or social media for them to have a voice on. So their complaints weren't heard either.

Do you understand the point I'm trying to make? The idea that Millennials are somehow whinier than kids from the past just isn't true. No more true than Baby Boomers complaining about Generation X kids.

Millennials are going to be the downfall of modern civilization. I urge you to act in your local area and witch hunt.

It's more than prudent to download every video you watch.They could be gone tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Some kids.

Well this kid is a prime example of "some kids"  Although he is a minority, he shouldn't be "That guy"

53 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

Millennials are going to be the downfall of modern civilization. I urge you to act in your local area and witch hunt.

Nah. Baby Boomers and their economic policies have already started the downfall. The Generation X'ers and the Millennials are trying to fix the problems.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Nah. Baby Boomers and their economic policies have already started the downfall. The Generation X'ers and the Millennials are trying to fix the problems.

Their detrimental effect on society in everyday life will lead to the extinction of the human species as they will be exterminated when everyone else has enough of their hyper-sensitive BS.

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

That wasn't the point.

The point is kids today complain too much without stopping to think how awesome their curriculum actually is.

Everyone complains to much, You just complained about how boring your classes were. How is that any different then was the OP said about "doing Photoshop all day".  Maybe the OP doesn't like doing Photoshop? That isn't a bad thing, now they know they probably shouldn't get a job doing Photoshop.

Complaining is one this trying to get someone fired is another. I get the feeling that OP is just trying to get their teacher in trouble because they don't like the teacher for one reason or another. If that is the case I will have to disagree with OP, We have all been there we have all had teachers we don't get along with. That is part of School and it is also part of real life. You have already talked with the teacher and they have hear your complaints, they apparently didn't agree with you. If you don't want to download YouTube videos give the teacher an alternative and ask if it is ok to use that or just use the alternative and ask for forgiveness later :).

I could be completely wrong after all it is hard to tell the situation from a few sentences on a forum. This teacher could be the scum of the earth for all I know.

I don't know the whole story and honestly I don't really care to know.

As for the Downloading Youtube video.

Your breaking TOS with Youtube. I agree it isn't the best thing for a teacher to be asking their class to do. But that alone isn't piracy or against the law. Now depending on what video your downloading and the purpose your might be crossing into piracy issues.

7 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

Their detrimental effect on society in everyday life will lead to the extinction of the human species as they will be exterminated when everyone else has enough of their hyper-sensitive BS.

I love that a post about piracy, has lead to a conversation about what generation will lead the human species to extinction. :)