My teacher is making me commit piracy....

3 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

As far as I am aware downloading a Youtube videos isn't illegal if the video and your intentions falls under Fare Use.

https://www.youtube.com/t/terms

You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.

rip

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

But do you want every student streaming a video at the same time?

Do you want every student downloading a video at the same time?

It uses the same amount of bandwidth. This is why it doesn't make much sense. Honestly if this was about bandwidth, the teacher should have downloaded the video and stored it on a network share where all of the students could access it.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Assuming that there are no exceptions in that country. 

Both the UK and USA (at least in one of the states) have copyright exceptions for educational purposes. As they are complaining about their teacher, you can more or less safely assume its probably for an educational purpose meaning it just depends in which country/state he lives in. 

The issue definitely fails in the gray area.  Still, there probably ways to gain legal download of the videos.  Maybe emailing the makers of the videos in question and ask if they have no issue providing the videos to the school for educational purposes.  I would think the individuals making the videos would have no issue doing that since showing the videos give them kind of like free advertising and introduce students to their channel.

8 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

It uses the same amount of bandwidth. This is why it doesn't make much sense. Honestly if this was about bandwidth, the teacher should have downloaded the video and stored it on a network share where all of the students could access it.

Agree, when I was at college, the teachers would put the link to the video on Blackboard.  Or, ask the owner of the video if they could have a copy for class instruction.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

violating the TOS

I am no expert on things like this, but I am 98% sure if it is for education then it is allowed. Anyways if you are not making money or getting fame from it then why would it matter. 

Just now, DrowningFish said:

I am no expert on things like this, but I am 98% sure if it is for education then it is allowed. Anyways if you are not making money or getting fame from it then why would it matter. 

Yeah when they mean education they mean the teacher using it only for her to demonstrated or have a lecture around. I doubt telling kids to go download this falls under it the okie dokie for the law.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

telling kids to go download this falls under it the okie dokie for the law.

But what if they are using it for a communication technology project. I have used videos off youtube for stock footage and as references in my own class projects. I don't sell a large problem with this, if the students reference the creator and are not making money off of that video. Again I am no expert and I am sure this get way to complicated for me to understand. But this is school, not television or films. 

11 minutes ago, DrowningFish said:

But what if they are using it for a communication technology project. I have used videos off youtube for stock footage and as references in my own class projects. I don't sell a large problem with this, if the students reference the creator and are not making money off of that video. Again I am no expert and I am sure this get way to complicated for me to understand. But this is school, not television or films. 

There is copyright free content on youtube. Its def a grey subject but I still think, education or not, that you dont do this. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

def a grey subject but I still think, education or not, that you do this. 

Fair enough. I think it all comes down to who you are taking from. Something like CTV or BBC are major corporations that benefit from the use. But some creators like gamers might not get anything from it. But didn't Taran use something like this for his Barrier Skip video?

2 minutes ago, DrowningFish said:

Fair enough. I think it all comes down to who you are taking from. Something like CTV or BBC are major corporations that benefit from the use. But some creators like gamers might not get anything from it. But didn't Taran use something like this for his Barrier Skip video?

As long as the teach contacts the owners of the video and approve I am sure they can and would be fine with it. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

As long as the teach contacts the owners of the video and approve I am sure they can and would be fine with it. 

Cool, I know copyright has always been a little tricky depending on where you live. Thanks for your info!

I mean, once a student threatened suicide and she said she would be happier if he did, so getting fired isnt always a bad thing in this situation.

I like pie.

21 hours ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

So my teacher is trying to make us download videos from youtube with stuff like youtubetomp4.com or something like that. I looked into it and it is violating the TOS and I showed it to her and I was told to never use Youtube again if thats correct. Joke of a teacher.

I have a few questions:

1. What kind of videos are you downloading?

2. What is the purpose of downloading them? So you can watch them?

3. What class is this?

Honestly if you're just downloading the video to view "offline", to take the load off of the Schools internet connection, I wouldn't be too concerned - although it does rob the channel of all those ad views, so that's not good.

If the class is supposed to watch the video, the teacher should simply put the video up on a projector for everyone to see.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't see anything illegal here. I suggest paying more attention in school to make better statements in the future.

-KuJoe

21 hours ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

I wish the teacher would get arrested, all we do is Photoshop all day.

You shouldn't wish bad things on her just because you do not like her.  She will not get arrested for telling you guys to use youtube clips for your school projects.  

20 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why does that matter? University connections are usually multiple Gbps, telling them to download it through a sketchy 3rd party app instead just to stop them from streaming is stupid. 

First, the kid said this was "regular" school - so not University. Second, many schools have shit-tier internet, eg, sharing 100 Mbps (Or in some cases, far less) between 1500 students.

I think the teacher certainly could have done this better, if bandwidth management was their intention (Eg: Someone mentioned the teacher should have downloaded to a network share, then distributed to the kids).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, let's destroy the lively hood  of someone for a crappy copy of a YouTube video and making the class do Photoshop. /s

There's a reason one of my co-workers constantly bashes millennials.

20 hours ago, Catsrules said:

if you have everyone watch the video at the same time, it would cause bandwidth issues and cause buffering.  If you download the video before watching it you can watch it as many times as you need to and it would require no buffering.  

Just now, Mooshi said:

Yes, let's destroy the lively hood  of someone for a crappy copy of a YouTube video and making the class do Photoshop. /s

There's a reason one of my co-workers constantly bashes millennials.

Millennials aren't the issue.

This kind of attitude has been around forever. Millennials are just easy prey because they're outspoken (often for good reason), and they're the next "big" generation. 30 years ago, people were saying the same thing about Gen-X'ers.

Kids are young and allowed to be ignorant. Hence why they're in school. In this case the OP is learning (hopefully) that he has a lot to learn.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Millennials aren't the issue.

This kind of attitude has been around forever. Millennials are just easy prey because they're outspoken (often for good reason), and they're the next "big" generation. 30 years ago, people were saying the same thing about Gen-X'ers.

Just sharing and I technically fall into that generation although on the tail-end. This complaining attitude over non-issue blacken the term.

When I was still in school, we took notes and had to pay attention to boring projector slides. We didn't have Photoshop classes or YouTube downloaders loooool

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Just sharing and I technically fall into that generation although on the tail-end. This complaining attitude over non-issue blacken the term.

When I was still in school, we took notes and had to pay attention to boring projector slides. We didn't have Photoshop classes or YouTube downloaders loooool

The fact that you didn't have Photoshop classes are kind of irrelevant. School should change with the times and technology. The fact that kids can learn Photoshop in Elementary or High School is actually awesome. It can be a very valuable skill.

I'm sorry your teachers made you watch boring slides. Not all teachers are skilled in making lessons engaging and interesting. It's a shame, because that skill is incredibly useful and valuable to making learning more effective.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

The fact that you didn't have Photoshop classes are kind of irrelevant. School should change with the times and technology. The fact that kids can learn Photoshop in Elementary or High School is actually awesome. It can be a very valuable skill.

I'm sorry your teachers made you watch boring slides. Not all teachers are skilled in making lessons engaging and interesting. It's a shame, because that skill is incredibly useful and valuable to making learning more effective.

That wasn't the point.

The point is kids today complain too much without stopping to think how awesome their curriculum actually is.

10 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

if you have everyone watch the video at the same time, it would cause bandwidth issues and cause buffering.  If you download the video before watching it you can watch it as many times as you need to and it would require no buffering.  

Yeah I guess that it one way to do it but if they are all watching it at once why not just watch it on the projector via the Teacher's computer? So we are only downloading/streaming once not 20 times.