Elon Musk's OpenAI, the best DOTA 2 player in the world

The world’s best Dota 2 players just got destroyed by a killer AI from Elon Musk’s startup.

The Dota 2 esports tournament in Seattle, known as The International, demonstrates how video games have become hugely popular team sports — and today alpha geek Elon Musk took the occasion to tout a different kind of team effort.

Musk, the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, is also a big supporter of OpenAI, a nonprofit research company aimed at boosting artificial intelligence architectures and applications that benefit humanity.

Today, OpenAI showed off an AI bot that vanquished Danylo “Dendi” Ishutin, one of the world’s top Dota 2 players, in a one-vs.-one demonstration match.

“OK, this guy is scary,” Ishutin said as he battled the bot’s minions. The crowd at KeyArena groaned when the bot crushed Ishutin’s game avatars.

Ishutin was beaten badly in the first match, forfeited a second match, and refused to play a third.

According to @elonmusk the whole thing runs on a giant Azure cloud.

Would like to express our appreciation to Microsoft for use of their Azure cloud computing platform. This required massive processing power.

Does this feel like the beginning of Terminator to anyone else?

EDIT: Also this is an interesting watch

Source:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/elon-musk-dota-2-ai-international-microsoft/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/11/16137388/dota-2-dendi-open-ai-elon-musk

Edited by NZLaurence
Linking VOD's

If this surprises anyone, you need to take a new look at AI

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

oh god

whats next, beating people at minecraft? hardest game ever

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

forfeited a second match, and refused to play a third.

what a child. did he not know he was playing against an AI? it's an exhibition match, play along.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, JDE said:

oh god

whats next, beating people at minecraft? hardest game ever

No, beating them at deciding how to perform a surgery, or design a chemical plant, or a bridge, or fight a lawsuit

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

This required massive processing power

that's pretty much the only good thing about it. but that will change and in a few years time your dog's apple watch will beat us in DOTA2.. just saying

Dota isnt really a 1v1 game.  Some heroes have clear advatange over others.

If the human player was "Tiny" and the computer was phantom lancer, the human could probably win.

Some of you guys miss the point of OPs post, it's not about the game, it's about the fact that it was possible for the AI to beat the human player at something this complex and fast moving as DOTA, chess supercomputers are still in kindergarden compared to this beast. (well not really but you got the point).

I still wait for my toaster to decide what newspaper I should read in the morning, while "he" talks to my blender and decides that I am fat enough already, so "no extra sugar for you human!". Skynet is next then...

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

I always name the AI modules I design skynet.

as you should!

hmm actually, some of my code snippets are commented with "toaster" - indicating that some dumb shitty workaround needs fixing or sth. like that .. :-)

I would love to know how much resources are required to run one game AI. If they are thanking Microsoft for use of the Azure Cloud, then it would suggest that its quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

I would love to know how much resources are required to run one game AI. If they are thanking Microsoft for use of the Azure Cloud, then it would suggest that its quite a bit.

I assume that my house wouldn't be able to "host" the CPUs/GPUs necessary required for it, yet....

10 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

I always like to give the next guy who comes along reading my code a slight pause when he sees the name and then panic when he sees it's actually using AI libraries.

Next guy: Oh god dammit, another Terminator reference. I swear, these programmer guys love using the same bloody jokes, and they obviously don't realize its been done to death.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Wasn't Elon against AI not that long ago?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, beating them at deciding how to perform a surgery, or design a chemical plant, or a bridge, or fight a lawsuit

no wait no

roblox will be ten times harder then Minecraft, get them to play that

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Wasn't Elon against AI not that long ago?

I don't think he's against it, he was just warning everyone about the inevitable AI apocalypse.

That sounds like a cliche but I'm being literal and serious.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

no wait no

roblox will be ten times harder then Minecraft, get them to play that

what are you talking about? obviously minesweeper is the hardest of them all. get the AI to play that, no way it's gonna win.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

what are you talking about? obviously minesweeper is the hardest of them all. get the AI to play that, no way it's gonna win.

OH GOD

WE ALL FORGOT ABOUT 3D SPACE CADET PINBALL

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

WE ALL FORGOT ABOUT 3D SPACE CADET PINBALL

Raisins_Face.jpg.b16b5ad614a539218111b9d46bfe1856.jpg

the nostalgia when you boot up space cadet pinball though, fun times :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

EVERYONE

WHAT ABOUT AGAR.IO

OR DIEP.IO

OR EVEN PROGRAMMING IN SCRATCH SO HARD

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, JDE said:

EVERYONE

WHAT ABOUT AGAR.IO

OR DIEP.IO

OR EVEN PROGRAMMING IN SCRATCH SO HARD

pls... you know these are literally child's play

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

pls... you know these are literally child's play

shhhhh im being sarcastic

have a sense of humor

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

11 minutes ago, JDE said:

shhhhh im being sarcastic

have a sense of humor

angry-no-l.png

But really, if you haven't already, go watch AlphaGo beat Lee Sedol, and some of the new "CAD" tools that generate a completely "organic" ideal design, or anything else amazing that you can find, which shouldn't be in short supply.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now realize that if and when the super advanced AI comes into existence, the bulk of the population it will be up against thinks this is how computers work:

It will be a swift victory for the computers lol

15 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Wonder how it would do at csgo... Maybe not well.

nah you have to wonder if it can beat the glory of 3d pinball :S

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop