HTC's default( touchpal) Keyboard has started to show ads to users

The Sloth

what happened? 

There are a few places where advertising is acceptable. Your phone's keyboard is definitely not one of them. The TouchPal keyboard, which HTC ships as the default system keyboard on many of its phones, has been updated to display ads.

The fault lies in a recent update to 'TouchPal Keyboard for HTC,' also referred to as 'TouchPal Sense Edition,' which HTC has included as the default keyboard on a wide variety of phones. It's even bundled on the company's latest flagships, including the HTC 10 and U11. Understandably, people are not happy at all about ads on their keyboard.

ap_resize.png.152672cfdddbe4ffbd87ac7159089f46.png

for a flagship this is unacceptable   

HTC's response to all of this

596ba76aaaff2_ScreenShot2017-07-16at11_50_26AM.png.3a1881f54385c8e5638321f315d4d5bc.png

both company are at fault -Judging from HTC's response, it seems likely that TouchPal added advertisements to the keyboard without HTC's knowledge/approval. The app listing in question is published by TouchPad, after all. But both companies are definitely at fault here; HTC shouldn't let another company control such a vital component of its products.

-http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/16/htcs-touchpal-keyboard-started-show-ads-users/

-

htc_in_trouble.jpg.52a567e863b8f7c2505e18ece009f5e8.jpg

flagship phones should not have advert in the keyboard  

what do you guys think? 

Update 

596ceae49be8c_ScreenShot2017-07-17at10_50_33AM.png.eb8d1f0365390b8a9c482c53e64ed8c1.png

this guy puts it nicely 

596cebed9cbe3_ScreenShot2017-07-17at10_54_36AM.png.7466ec6489ca22958296d284a32032f1.png

giphy.gif.ca6774e4ad319108cfd827b373019508.gif

Edited by nerdslayer1
Update

I used touchpal on my Samsung for a while because the Neon Blie theme was simply amazing but now switched to SwiftKey because of freaking ads. There's TouchPal Pro that costs few bucks which has no ads but I guess that's too much for HTC. Why tf would they use a 3rd party app keyboard in the first place? 

It's total BS, but this isn't the first time a company has done this. Remember when Samsung was bundling Facebook when updating some of their phones?

I guess the reason for the ads on the keyboard is to get more money, HTC is probably not giving them enough and they have to find alternative sources for income.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 hours ago, Djole123 said:

It's total BS, but this isn't the first time a company has done this. Remember when Samsung was bundling Facebook when updating some of their phones?

so Samsung is doing this, so it should be ok for htc to do? carriers and samsung bundled that software on Samsung devices, not on the unlocked units -https://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-unlocked-vs-carrier 

-https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s8-guide,review-4330-3.html 

2 hours ago, Djole123 said:

I guess the reason for the ads on the keyboard is to get more money, HTC is probably not giving them enough and they have to find alternative sources for income.

it's still not ok, a flag ship should not have bloatware 

When the product is free, you are the product

kek 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's the funny thing, it costs 649 USD( flagship price)  

-https://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-u11/buy/#!color=red

That flew over your head.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

That flew over your head.

... yup, just got it. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

so Samsung is doing this, so it should be ok for htc to do? carriers and samsung bundled that software on Samsung devices, not on the unlocked units -https://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-unlocked-vs-carrier 

-https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s8-guide,review-4330-3.html

Mine was unlocked and still got the Facebook app o.O

But yeah, having ads on a keyboard on a 600$ flagship is definitely not OK.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

But yeah, having ads on a keyboard on a 600$ flagship is definitely not OK.

definitely not ok, at least you can hide/ ignore that, unlike an advert on your keyboard. 

28 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

The TouchPal keyboard, which HTC ships as the default system keyboard on many of its phones, has been updated to display ads.

ok ... can somebody please tell me why the fuck it is even necessary to pre-load phones with a 3rd party keyboard app ... a fucking keyboard app ... does android not come with a built in keyboard or what ? is there ANY benefit ?

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

ok ... can somebody please tell me why the fuck it is even necessary to pre-load phones with a 3rd party keyboard app ... a fucking keyboard app ... does android not come with a built in keyboard or what ? is there ANY benefit ?

Built in keyboard is poo. 

Swiftkey tho....

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Dear HTC,

Spoiler

wAmPLid.gif

This is not something you should do and is something that will push users away from your eco system.

This is why Android shouldn't have skins made by manufacturers, you get pre built system Windows adware stuff.. Tsk tsk.. Except worse, since you can't install a fresh version of Android, only one supplied by HTC (without rooting that is).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

I'm on contract and never got it :S

Why are they shipping with a 3rd party keyboard anyway? Should have google keyboard installed by default with the option on first boot to use 3rd party with a disclaimer.

I now see the return of the free animated emoji malware 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, HunterSkater429 said:

If my keyboard told me to drink bud light I wouldn't be happy either. 

If my keyboard told me to drink at all, I wouldn't be happy.  I've never understood how someone can stand to drink alcohol.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it's still not ok, a flash ship should not have bloatware 

One definitely doesn't want to see bloated flashers, not even on a ship.

One of my Twitter friends, who has an HTC 10, told me this pissed him off as well when I posted about it on Twitter last night. He uses Gboard now, per my suggestion, but this has turned him off from further HTC phones.

Funny that a keyboard from the world's largest ad broker is ad-free, innit? It's also probably the only good keyboard for Android tbh.

2 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

3rd party app pays for it. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

If my keyboard told me to drink at all, I wouldn't be happy.  I've never understood how someone can stand to drink alcohol.

One definitely doesn't want to see bloated flashers, not even on a ship.

Same reason people eat ass, they like it 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

My phone (ZTE Fit 4G Smart) uses it as well. Luckily I don't update it often since its running Android 4.4.4 (although its had security features found in newer versions added by ZTE)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Luckily I don't update it often since its running Android 4.4.4

...umm that's bad, update, your phone is at risk. 

This is just the beginning. Wait until everything you buy will start to show ads. Can't wait for the MBP touch bar to show ads!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list