HTC's default( touchpal) Keyboard has started to show ads to users

The Sloth
10 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

...umm that's bad, update, your phone is at risk. 

I can't when there are no custom ROM and ZTE is in charge of it. I also can't as I haven't gotten it unlocked yet (the phone cost me $50 instead of $100 so I'll be unlocking it when the cost is low enough to not push the total cost up to $100)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The question I wanna ask is this: 

How much do those manufacturers get when they preinstall apps/ ads in their phone's OS? 

A lot of android phones come with preinstalled apps. How much do those companies pay them to do that? 

A dollar per phone? Or? 

The thing that makes me mad is that you are already spending a ton of money on their physical device (a.k.a the phone itself) and then they still sell you out? 

The logic is something like this: I am Samsung/HTC/.. I sell you a phone for $600. My profit is $200. Then those preinstalled apps/ads can make me $50 a year when you are using the device. 

Wow. Truly wow. Bash on apple all you want, afaik, they haven't done anything like this yet,. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

That's completely unacceptable. Why can't companies get it through their heads that if they put ads in places like this (I mean, come on, a KEYBOARD???) the user will choose a different product?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I thought I installed some really annoying ass malware and none of the security apps I ran found it. Factory reset my phone, (Google didnt back up shit even though everything was checked mark and I had some space left). Found a support ticket 15th and pretty pissed at Touchpal.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

19 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

This is just the beginning. Wait until everything you buy will start to show ads. Can't wait for the MBP touch bar to show ads!

We are already there sadly.

Windows 10 shows ads in the start menu.

Keyboard ads on the phone

You can buy a cheaper version of the Moto G5 plus on Amazon with ads on the lockscreen.

etc. etc.

It is horrible. at least Amazon gives you a discount on the product. Where is my free version of Windows 10 for those f'ing ads? ??

Pretty sure smart fridges and stuff will start showing you ads before you get your milk for your cereal at breakfast pretty soon.

It was an error that happened.

People are way too quick to get their pitchforks out to start a riot. Pretty much everyone in this thread is what's wrong with consumers in 2017. Instead of giving companies time to fix problems because it takes some fucking time, you expect the fix to happen yesterday and now you're all gung-ho over some stupid shit.

Calm your shit people.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

8 minutes ago, ttam said:

It was an error that happened.

People are way too quick to get their pitchforks out to start a riot. Pretty much everyone in this thread is what's wrong with consumers in 2017. Instead of giving companies time to fix problems because it takes some fucking time, you expect the fix to happen yesterday and now you're all gung-ho over some stupid shit.

Calm your shit people.

No the problem is that these kinds of 'accidents' happen way too often.

Sometimes benign, resulting in some ads. Sometimes not so benign, as in the case of vulnerabilities in the OS not getting patched timely because of a messed up update policy, or updates bricking the device completely.

This is a symptom of a larger problem with messed up update policies across the whole smartphone and PC industry.

Companies need to get way better about testing updates to their products, and actually having an update policy in their devices that puts the users first, not profit or shady deals or bloatware or "if you want new software just buy a new phone already after 12 months!!".

That is bad but funny. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

We are already there sadly.

Windows 10 shows ads in the start menu.

Keyboard ads on the phone

You can buy a cheaper version of the Moto G5 plus on Amazon with ads on the lockscreen.

etc. etc.

It is horrible. at least Amazon gives you a discount on the product. Where is my free version of Windows 10 for those f'ing ads? ??

Pretty sure smart fridges and stuff will start showing you ads before you get your milk for your cereal at breakfast pretty soon.

There was the free upgrade for windows.

Did you pay for windows 10?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

There was the free upgrade for windows.

Did you pay for windows 10?

That was only for the first year after release. Now they charge full price for it.

Also if you had a PC with certain license types tied to the hardware, there was no free upgrade.

Also, if you buy a laptop with Windows 10 already on it, you are paying for it, because the manufacturer pays the license to Microsoft and passes that cost onto the price of the product.

So Windows 10 is not really any more 'free' than previous versions of Windows. They just allowed a specific subset of existing customers to upgrade for free.

35 minutes ago, maartendc said:

That was only for the first year after release. Now they charge full price for it.

Actually, even though you're "technically" correct (officially they've declared it over), it is still possible to active Windows 10 with a Windows 7/8/8.1 license key.  We do it all the time here for our customers.

This is why I use Google keyboard (Gboard) on every android phone I have ever used.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:16 PM, Djole123 said:

Mine was unlocked and still got the Facebook app o.O

But yeah, having ads on a keyboard on a 600$ flagship is definitely not OK.

i would say having ads on any keyboard is not OK 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´