Windows 10 color saturation problem dual screen

Go to solution Solved by Gekundamo,

So 1 problem down, and 1 new arose to the surface after fixing it, for which i will seek help in different thread.

The color shifting has been resolved by switching to HDMI 2.1 instead of DP 1.4a

The color shifting also stops when setting the monitors ICC profile as default for the whole windows under advanced tab in devices profile.

Hello,

For the last couple days i'm having an issue with oversaturated colors in windows 10 OS everywhere, and to sum up the steps.

2 weeks ago i've bought a new oled monitor, set it up and everything was perfect, i've swapped it on the monitor arm with my old one and jobs done, bliss of oled gaming.

I used to move the monitor from right to left for my sim racing / desk usage and i've decided to repurpose old screen for the sim rig alone when it was just sitting in the box for the past 10 days.

1st thing to notice, when i connected the old screen that was disconnected for 10 days the windows recognized it back as the main display 1, so yeah just changed the checkbox to treat display 2 as main one and good to go.

Out of nowhere on 3rd day of using this setup the colors on the screen 2 set as main suddenly became an oversaturated mess, nothing was changed in the setup, settings, nvidia control panel.
Shortcuts, start menu, taskbar  everything is oversaturated, even the X mark to close the window is an oversaturated eyesore.

My setup is 2 screens and both are connected via displayport cables

1: MSI MAG 341CQP for my desk [windows recognized as 2 - set as main display]

2: Gigabyte G34wqc for my sim racing rig

What is odd, i can take a screenshot of the screen, and on the screenshot the colors are normal while viewing this screenshot on the screen that is overblowing the colors within the OS itself...

However there is one very odd thing going on.

When i choose to exted the displays instead of just choosing the main monitor the colors go back to normal on the running apps like chrome/discord/spotify etc. but windows start menu/shortcuts are still overblown mess.

I have used the TFT Cental settings to tune the screen so nothing is oversaturated in the screen settings itself, night mode is disabled, it is purely some windows shenanigans that i am tired of right now.

I have deleted all ICC profiles and reinstalled them, removed the drivers with DDU to be sure its not suddenly some driver conflict but the problem remains.

Thus i am seeking for help and i'd be grateful for any suggestion how to fix it.

color wtf.jpg

CPU: 5800x3d + SPC HE 1425 v2 Fortis 3/noctua fans MB:MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX RAM: 32GB Crucial Balistix 3200 CL14 GPU:PNY XLR8 4070Ti

SDD: SN570 1TB OS / Micron 1000 1TB/ Micron 1100 2TB / Crucial MX500 2TB  PSU:BeQuiet Straight Power 11 650W Gold Case: Phanteks P400A Drgb

in windows video settings
check and see if the hdr toggle works
if so turn off on or on off
ive seen windows glitch out and switching that toggle fixes it (at least in my case)

only thing i can think of ive experienced besides a faulty cable

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

in windows video settings
check and see if the hdr toggle works
if so turn off on or on off
ive seen windows glitch out and switching that toggle fixes it (at least in my case)

only thing i can think of ive experienced besides a faulty cable

Toggle works, i kinda never had the case that it would not.
As per suggestion i've just done multiple windows+alt+b toggles along with the toggle in the settings with mouse. No change.

In the meantime i've also swapped multiple cables that i know that work, done it also through HDMI 2.1 cable which both GPU and the monitor have, same issue.

Also when just the OLED is plugged in the issue remains.

The only other thing that showed up when i tested different inputs/cables, is that through HDMI the screen was always oversaturated everywhere, even in the extend displays mode, and even the screenshots were overblown as well, that is something that does not happen with displayport.
8bit / 10bit / 12bit make no change as well to this, and i honestly have no freaking idea what that might be.
I am even considering installing windows 11 just to see if it would change anything...

CPU: 5800x3d + SPC HE 1425 v2 Fortis 3/noctua fans MB:MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX RAM: 32GB Crucial Balistix 3200 CL14 GPU:PNY XLR8 4070Ti

SDD: SN570 1TB OS / Micron 1000 1TB/ Micron 1100 2TB / Crucial MX500 2TB  PSU:BeQuiet Straight Power 11 650W Gold Case: Phanteks P400A Drgb

And as for further testing i've just now tested swapping cables between inputs in the GPU.

Swapping slots resulted in monitors recognized as i originally wanted, so screen 1 is screen 1 and screen 2 is screen 2.

And now everything has reversed.
So apps are overblown when using extend display and they are correct when only main display is selected.

Still in both cases everything in Windows 10 os taskbar/tray/start menu/shortcuts and any icons is pure oversaturated poo.

And another update.

Without changing anything from previous update, and a session of helldivers 2 for which i enabled HDR now colors are back to oversaturated mess everywhere again regardless of which display mode i use  "this pc / extend".....

i am so freaking lost wtf is windows doing and even where to fix that mess....

i do know win 11 does hdr way better then win 10. biggest reason i jumped to 11. 10's hdr just sucks

• 3 weeks later...

So 1 problem down, and 1 new arose to the surface after fixing it, for which i will seek help in different thread.

The color shifting has been resolved by switching to HDMI 2.1 instead of DP 1.4a

The color shifting also stops when setting the monitors ICC profile as default for the whole windows under advanced tab in devices profile.