Kaspersky files an antitrust lawsuit to EU and Russia against Microsoft for keeping users safe with Windows Defender

GoodBytes

The free antivirus from Microsoft introduced as Microsoft Security Essential for Windows XP, Vista and 7 introduced in Windows 7 days, and later renamed as Windows Defender and included in Windows 8 and 10 is causing issues with Kaspersky the Russian anti-virus and security software maker.

The CEO of Kaspersky, Eugene Kaspersky, says that Microsoft of “fiercely” promoting Windows Defender using its “dominant position” in the PC market.

He says:

We see clearly – and are ready to prove – that Microsoft uses its dominant position in the computer operating system (OS) market to fiercely promote its own – inferior – security software (Windows Defender) at the expense of users’ previously self-chosen security solution. Such promotion is conducted using questionable methods, and we want to bring these methods to the attention of the anti-competition authorities.

More specifically, he complains that when Kaspersky trial or subscription ends, Windows turns on Windows Defender and notify the user that their anti-virus has expired, instead of keeping the user vulnerable. Yes you read this correctly:

kaspersky.png

More exactly, under Windows 10, when the anti-virus expires, they need to use a call in the Action Center to show the above pop-up, instead of being able to show its own pop-up.

for three days after the expiry of a license for our security solution and the turning off of protection, we are forbidden – through our own notification system – from informing the user that it might be a good idea to extend the license so that protection could get back up and running. Instead of that, we’re obliged to use Microsoft’s own notification system – now called ‘Action Center’ – to which many users pay little attention.

In addition, they accuse Microsoft of having its OS update system when a user upgrade from an old version of Windows to a new one, or a new large update of Windows 10 that if teh anti-virus has compatibility problem with the update, their anti-virus gets removed instead of failing or notifying the user.

What’s even more… interesting, is how after the independent protection is deleted, it stays in the list of installed programs! So, if users miss the fleeting ‘notification’ about Microsoft’s protection being turned on, and/or didn’t have time to work out that this means their existing self-chosen security solution has been deleted, they might not understand straight away what’s actually happened. That is, users think their chosen security solution is working (why wouldn’t they? It’s there in the list of installed programs; even the icon on the desktop’s still there) when in fact it’s been deleted.

Kaspersky says that they have these compatibility problems as they don't have RTM versions like previous version of Windows, and wants them. They complained about this in the past. They want RTM build of Windows 2 month in advance. (I guess no one told them about the Insider program).

Ideally, independent developers need two months after receiving the RTM to carry out all their fine-tuning before the release of the Windows update to the public. Earlier, Microsoft would give us the RTM version in good time, but of late this has been reduced to a couple of weeks before releasing to the public.

In Kaspersky own blog post, they include Microsoft response to their complaint about the lack of RTM, although this is not a direct quote from Microsoft, but rather the company paraphrasing Microsoft response with their own understanding:

Microsoft defends these new, shortened testing periods for independent developers by stating something like: ‘these aren’t the days of Windows XP, 7, 9… releases any more. No one has RTM versions these days; Apple hasn’t – either for macOS or iOS; and Google hasn’t for Android. We’ve simply got to keep up with the competition’. However, that’s not true: we still get finalized versions of operating systems that are ready for corresponding program development from both Apple and Google with plenty of time for adjustments. Moreover, their OSs aren’t as complex or multi-component as Windows.

Once again, other anti-virus and security software maker has 0 problem, and have adapted to the changes.

Source 1: https://mspoweruser.com/kaspersky-makes-good-microsoft-threat-antitrust-complaint-eu/

Source 2: https://blog.kaspersky.com/microsoft-european-trial/16976/

So, it looks like Kaspersky doesn't like that its users are able to keep their system fully updated and secured. And doesn't like the fact that they when they anti-virus expires that the user has some level of protection over nothing. Kaspersky forgot that if user bought Kaspersky A/V or security software it is because they want something superior over what is included in Windows. If it the user subscription expires, they'll renew if they are still interested.

What do you think? Do you think Kaspersky is right? Is this Windows 10 behavior unfair to the consumer?

To me, I think it is completely BS. No other anti-virus has any trouble (assuming the user has the latest version and keep things updated). Microsoft gains nothing from having people use Windows Defender over other solution. The A/V is free, they don't make money on it. It keep users secure, and allows Microsoft to push detection to block attacks like the WannaCry ransomware that happen that would have affected users who has expired anti-virus as Defender would remain disabled. If the user is interested in Kaspersky, they bought it in the past, they know that they want this proven superior security this better security software over Windows Defender. So, if it expires, and the user is still interested, they'll get re-subscribe in their own time, while still having some security (maybe they want to wait for the week-end, for example, if it expires during the week). As for the pop-up forced by Windows, well it is clean simple, convey full information. A/V loved th efact top put panicking alerts, and play with the fear of users, not to mention they are usually intrusive. So, I think it is better for Windows image, and user experience.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, is there a problem with MS covering you when your antivirus expires? And why is it only Kaspersky* that's complaining? And anyone who know how to install and use an antivirus probably know how to keep it up to date. 

*And they're Russian... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

The way I see it, antitrust can be bad for both consumers and competitors. Microsoft also ended up in an antitrust lawsuit when they released Internet explorer. "WHAT, THEY'RE GIVING AWAY A WEB BROWSER... FOR FREE??.. WITH THEIR SYSTEM??" At a time when free browsers were basically nonexistent, that was a big deal and shoved Netscape under a bus, arguably unfairly.

It's a difficult decision, because in cases where antitrust is good for the consumer but utterly destructive to ALL competition simply because one company is 50x larger than the other and can afford to give away things as freebies.

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

The way I see it, antitrust can be bad for both consumers and competitors. Microsoft also ended up in an antitrust lawsuit when they released Internet explorer. "WHAT, THEY'RE GIVING AWAY A WEB BROWSER... FOR FREE??.. WITH THEIR SYSTEM??" At a time when free browsers were basically nonexistent, that was a big deal and shoved Netscape under a bus, arguably unfairly.

Frankly, with the Internet Explorer precedent, it is surprising that they are not getting sued a lot more. And not just Microsoft: in the last 5 years or so the exact same bundling approach that triggered the IE lawsuit has been replicated to death by basically anyone with some sort of control over a platform.

ESET > Kaspersky :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

So an anti virus software making company is bitching about an Operating system making company for making its OS secure? fpppss but then again this is Russia Comrade!

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

4 minutes ago, pipnina said:

It's a difficult decision, because in cases where antitrust is good for the consumer but utterly destructive to ALL competition simply because one company is 50x larger than the other and can afford to give away things as freebies.

But I don't think IE turned out so well for MS (more like BS in this case), and judging by their pitiful ads (in their own OS) for Edge, basically begging you to use it, it isn't doing much better. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, is there a problem with MS covering you when your antivirus expires? And why is it only Kaspersky* that's complaining? And anyone who know how to install and use an antivirus probably know how to keep it up to date. 

*And they're Russian... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

we have been running KApsersky on several pcs for several years now and its been working fine. Windows defender is really fucked up. Some months ago it started just randomly using up to 100% cpu power, disabling kaspersky and causing windows to freeze. The only thing that could fix it was a group command via registry i think. Windows defender is just a Microsoft scam tbh

This really isn't an Onion article?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Frankly, with the Internet Explorer precedent, it is surprising that they are not getting sued a lot more. And not just Microsoft: in the last 5 years or so the exact same bundling approach that triggered the IE lawsuit has been replicated to death by basically anyone with some sort of control over a platform.

Well, yeah. Google pushes Chrome on Android, even though I think Opera and Firefox (Mozzarella Fire Doggo) have versions for Android, but basically no-one uses them because you have to SEARCH for it, and you can't uninstall Chrome.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

But I don't think IE turned out so well for MS (more like BS in this case), and judging by their pitiful ads (in their own OS) for Edge, basically begging you to use it, it isn't doing much better. 

Back when this was a thing, Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc didn't exist. It was basically just Netscape. IE was the most used browser for like 5 years or more AFAIK

4 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Back when this was a thing, Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc didn't exist. It was basically just Netscape. IE was the most used browser for like 5 years or more AFAIK

Wow. It's amazing humanity survived. But how many lives were lost during this dark time of web browsing? 

Main PC 

goodbytes shilling again .. who knew

MS keeping the users safe you say?

AV-Comparatives: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/avc_mpt_201703_en.pdf

AV-Test: https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/

Kaspersky says that they have these compatibility problems as they don't have RTM versions like previous version of Windows, and wants them. They complained about this in the past. They want RTM build of Windows 2 month in advance. (I guess no one told them about the Insider program).

except they are right, MS doesn't tell anyone when a particular build is the actual RTM build

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

goodbytes shilling again .. who knew

MS keeping the users safe you say?

AV-Comparatives: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/avc_mpt_201703_en.pdf

AV-Test: https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/

You're more secure than having no protection at all :) (which is what Kaspersky is complaining about).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Fetzie said:

You're more secure than having no protection at all :)

sure, whatever you say

Windows Defender is like a perforated condom

23 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

ESET > Kaspersky :P

ESET > everything

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, zMeul said:

sure, whatever you say

Windows Defender is like a perforated condom

I don't see how you can say it is better for Defender to remain inactive and there to be zero protection for the computer until you reactivate your AV (which automatically deactivates Defender)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

28 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Under that logic, MS should be getting lawsuits over Paint because it hurts Adobe, and the same for windows media player, calculator, or any software they include in the system. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

ESET > everything

Have been using ESET Nod32 all my life, it has served brilliantly by today, it annoys me people who say common sense is all you need, it is not like we don't have it, we just enjoy having one last line of defense that doesn't suck for those nights we're drunk wasted trying to torrent rather edgy stuff xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Fetzie said:

I don't see how you can say it is better for Defender to remain inactive and there to be zero protection for the computer until you reactivate your AV (which automatically deactivates Defender)

you are twisting my words

my problem is with goodbytes shilling and saying Windows Defender keeps users safe

whatever Kaspersky says is only PR to advance their suit and market position

44 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

We see clearly – and are ready to prove – that Microsoft uses its dominant position in the computer operating system (OS) market to fiercely promote its own – inferior – security software (Windows Defender) [emphasis is mine]

Yes it is inferior. 3rd party tests confirm that and a thread I made weeks ago how Windows Defender can be a conduit for malware execution because of its not so good sandbox when scanning a file. 

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/avc_factsheet2017_04.pdf

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/avc_mpt_201703_en.pdf

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2017/

What do you think? Do you think Kaspersky is right? Is this Windows 10 behavior unfair to the consumer?

I get why Microsoft is doing this because they have the right to cover the people who don't have a third party AV. Back in pre-Windows 8 days, a newly bough PC is often bundled with an anti-virus like Norton or that awful McAfee and they're protected depending how long the trial period lasts. Once trial period is up, people will forget that an AV is expired and it stops working, thus making them vulnerable so during the release of Windows 7, they bundled Windows Defender. 

But I think Eugene Kaspersky is doing this because many people think Windows Defender is good enough and they've stopped paying for AVs. But I agree with Kaspersky on this one:

Besides, we want fair and healthy competition, which has always given excellent results everywhere – no matter in which industry or market. And btw, we invite all our competitors/colleagues to join us: as we’ve already shown, turning to antitrust bodies does bring positive change.

And remember: the only folks who gain unequivocally if there is a monopoly in the security products market are cybercriminals. They’d love nothing more than to be able to concentrate on trying to out-smart the single security solution of a monopolist. (emphasis is mine)

they don't make money on it. It keep users secure, and allows Microsoft to push detection to block attacks like the WannaCry ransomware that happen that would have affected users who has expired anti-virus as Defender would remain disabled.

Windows Defender unfortunately is way too basic for both home users and small/medium businesses and it lacks anti-ransomware features paid AVs have that works even with a lot (not all) zero-day malware [Here, Here]. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

For some reason...as soon as something has "Russian" in it...I'm immediately dissuaded from using it.

I'll stick with Windows Defender thank you very much.

Better the devil you know and all that.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

12 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yes it is inferior. 3rd party tests confirm that and a thread I made weeks ago how Windows Defender can be a conduit for malware execution because of its not so good sandbox when scanning a file. 

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/avc_factsheet2017_04.pdf

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/avc_mpt_201703_en.pdf

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2017/

I get why Microsoft is doing this because they have the right to cover the people who don't have a third party AV. Back in pre-Windows 8 days, a newly bough PC is often bundled with an anti-virus like Norton or that awful McAfee and they're protected depending how long the trial period lasts. Once trial period is up, people will forget that an AV is expired and it stops working, thus making them vulnerable so during the release of Windows 7, they bundled Windows Defender. 

But I think Eugene Kaspersky is doing this because many people think Windows Defender is good enough and they've stopped paying for AVs. But I agree with Kaspersky on this one:

Windows Defender unfortunately is way too basic for both home users and small/medium businesses and it lacks anti-ransomware features paid AVs have that works even with a lot (not all) zero-day malware [Here, Here]. 

Yup, and no doubt about it. But some protection is always better than none. At least it gives users, as mentioned, time to, when they have free time, to renew their subscription or look for a different solution. In the mean time they are not vulnerable completely, and not hold to a ransomed if they do get a popular virus in the mean time ("Pay for us to remove it" type of thing)

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Have been using ESET Nod32 all my life, it has served brilliantly by today, it annoys me people who say common sense is all you need, it is not like we don't have it, we just enjoy having one last line of defense that doesn't suck for those nights we're drunk wasted trying to torrent rather edgy stuff xD

Been using it since No32 ver. 3, never looked back. That + MBAM pretty much counters everything.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.