AMD making money from ad revenue from installing drivers!?!?

zMeul
5 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Fairly sure you can choose not to install it though, also not sure who you're calling an AMD fanboy as if you haven't noticed my PC is Intel and Nvidia.

"Stealth-adds to your desktop" does not sound like it gives you a checkbox, does it? But on the fanboy note, my apologies, you were giving them a lot more leeway than most people do. Sprry for the accusation. 

Is this the worst thing any company has ever done? No. but that it is making changes to your desktop w/o is wrong of them, whether you mind it or not.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

"Stealth-adds to your desktop" does not sound like it gives you a checkbox, does it? But on the fanboy note, my apologies, you were giving them a lot more leeway than most people do. Sprry for the accusation. 

Is this the worst thing any company has ever done? No. but that it is making changes to your desktop w/o is wrong of them, whether you mind it or not.

Not saying its right of them to do it, but again it wouldn't really upset me. I'd just uninstall it or delete it but I guess if people make a big deal out of it AMD will silently remove it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

This website is the personal space of LTT, who are rightful to use it as they please, and it does not modify my system. This website is not analogous to a person's offline desktop environment, or to their owned software licenses. And my use of this website, and any interactions with it, are interactions that I invoke by choice and effort, and not ones imposed upon me and my desktop environment.

And your use of nvidia's or amd's software is not by your "choice and effort"?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

7 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

And your use of nvidia's or amd's software is not by your "choice and effort"?

Of course I don't install and enable corporations' data-collection by my own choice and effort. I rather choose to and make effort to avoid and remove those things. However, when those things are packaged alongside drivers they can be hard to detect or avoid the installation of - which is unjustified and wrong... and is also illegal, if normal property laws and rights are applied to people's PC hardware, software licenses, electricity, etc. Hence I'm pointing that out in this thread.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Considering it's just a shortcut, ie a web shortcut, it's not much worse than putting a txt file on desktop imo. 

Wouldn't affect me tbh. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Any of you in their seat will do the same thing.

Considering it's a horrible pr move, no most of us wouldn't

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

42 minutes ago, sof006 said:

And the big deal is? Its not hurting the consumer and AMD makes a little bit more money and the owners of the product get noticed better. I see nothing wrong with this, I assume Nvidia, Intel etc all do this as well.

The big deal is that the installer for software people need to use a piece of hardware they bought installs unwanted adware to their computer without warning. I haven't experienced this personally but if it's true, it's bad. Hopefully they'll get rid of it.

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Any of you in their seat will do the same thing.

Hmm... says you. And from where do you get this deep knowledge of "their seat"?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Considering it's a horrible pr move, no most of us wouldn't

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The big deal is that the installer for software people need to use a piece of hardware they bought installs unwanted adware to their computer without warning. I haven't experienced this personally but if it's true, it's bad. Hopefully they'll get rid of it.

Hmm... says you. And from where do you get this deep knowledge of "their seat"?

Both of you don't understand it from a business pov. It's the same reason some will never get why LTT uses goofy thumbnails in their video.

Every dollar earned, means employees will be getting their pay check they rightfully earned. So you think bosses pull money out of their asses to give to their employees. They need to get it from some where else first, by selling a product or service and if that won't cover it, they will try to find some other ways to earn more.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Annoying as fuck, but not harmful. Not a big deal to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Blasphemy!

What about those websites when they ask you if you want to receive newstlers on your mail and you click no, yet they will send it to you anyway?

What about all these applications that install Google Chrome or McAfee without your consent?

No, I don't defend them, but this is really not a big deal. NVIDIA is doing a ton of shady things as well, like any other major brand.

Have you ever bough notebook from the likes of MSI for example? You paid so much for your new nice toy, yet it is full of installed crap you will never use.

It's not a big deal IMO , a simple shit+delete can do wonders in a blink of an eye like nothing happened.

Carry on

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

oh right, so it's not enough they make money from selling the products; they also want to make money on the back of the consumer for installing the drivers ... just in case

jeez!

While this is very awful and despicable, it's also regrettably the norm now. All major tech companies do it. This is, sadly, unsurprising, and arguably a less atrocious way of doing it than Nvidia, Microsoft, Google, etc. do it.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

13 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

While this is very awful and despicable, it's also regrettably the norm now. All major tech companies do it. This is, sadly, unsurprising, and arguably a less atrocious way of doing it than Nvidia, Microsoft, Google, etc. do it.

so, I should be OK with all of it?! I'm not -_-

56 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Of course I don't install and enable corporations' data-collection by my own choice and effort. I rather choose to and make effort to avoid and remove those things. However, when those things are packaged alongside drivers they can be hard to detect or avoid the installation of - which is unjustified and wrong... and is also illegal, if normal property laws and rights are applied to people's PC hardware, software licenses, electricity, etc. Hence I'm pointing that out in this thread.

So we are in agreement, but you're overly argumentative.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

34 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Both of you don't understand it from a business pov. It's the same reason some will never get why LTT uses goofy thumbnails in their video.

Every dollar earned, means employees will be getting their pay check they rightfully earned. So you think bosses pull money out of their asses to give to their employees. They need to get it from some where else first, by selling a product or service and if that won't cover it, they will try to find some other ways to earn more.

That doesn't make it any better, and it's not harmless like the thumbnails.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Oh I understand it from a business pov. Bad pr equals bad news reporting equals more people see negative news about your product equals less people buying your product equals less money. Opportunity cost are a thing in business as well.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

i haven't installed the new driver's but i heard about this and signed up for the beta, i didn't even know quake champions had a beta. guys it's your choice if you click on the link or not, it's not like they are automatically opening the website for you. also whats with the click bait title?

6 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

i haven't installed the new driver's but i heard about this and signed up for the beta, i didn't even know quake champions had a beta. guys it's your choice if you click on the link or not, it's not like they are automatically opening the website for you. also whats with the click bait title?

It's not clickbait when it's literally what is going on.

My Build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That doesn't make it any better, and it's not harmless like the thumbnails.

Have you think maybe publisher of quake made a deal with amd on it.

2 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Oh I understand it from a business pov. Bad pr equals bad news reporting equals more people see negative news about your product equals less people buying your product equals less money. Opportunity cost are a thing in business as well.

So a link to help them get earn a little bit more is bad pr. Then it's bad pr to every youtube video who has ads and the amazon affiliate link ltt needs to earn that bit of extra cash. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Centurius said:

It's not clickbait when it's literally what is going on.

if you open the shortcut, then they make money. amd gets no money from you installing the driver.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

So a link to help them get earn a little bit more is bad pr. Then it's bad pr to every youtube video who has ads and the amazon affiliate link ltt needs to earn that bit of extra cash. 

YouTube is content you consume for free and where you go into the product expecting advertisements to go along with it. When you buy a product and gain ownership over it, you do not expect the manufacturer to then push additional advertisements. That's the difference.

My Build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

...so what? Bethesda can't force amd to do anything... I don't mind the ads in the installer, but installing things I don't want on my system is off limits.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*