AMD making money from ad revenue from installing drivers!?!?

zMeul
7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Is a shortcut not a piece of software?

It's not an executable, but not all software are executables.

Seems like you guys are splitting hairs here.

Didn't AMD roll back on the quake champions shortcut anyway?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

Seems like you guys are splitting hairs here.

Didn't AMD roll back on the quake champions shortcut anyway?

I don't think I am, but I agree that the others are. I just said that my opinion is that what AMD did was adware, according to my definition of adware. If people want to disagree with that then fine. Let's talk about it and how their definition differs from mine.

Saying that it's not adware because it's not software is silly and doesn't really change anything.

Yes they did go back on it.

9 hours ago, Tomsen said:

-snip-

Look, this is getting ridiculous. We're arguing semantics here and you seem to be very emotionally involved in this so I think it's best we quit.

You don't think this was adware, fine. I think it was. If not the icon itself was adware then the driver package was (which I think is even more serious than just calling the icon adware).

It's all based on opinions and our own definitions of what is and isn't adware. But to quote yourself:

19 hours ago, Tomsen said:

Yet, we have the same user who keeps making "opinion based facts" in nearly every topic regarding AMD (without consequences). The statement aren't laid out as opinions, they are laid out as ultimatums. Making the statement that AMD drivers install adware or malware is BS, not an opinion in any fashion.

Do you not see that you're doing the exact same thing except on the opposite spectrum? I have been very clear that I think this is a matter of opinion. What you think is and isn't adware is up for interpretation since there are no definitive rules you can point to and say "this is adware because it does exactly X, Y and Z but not A and B".

Unless you can link to a very specific definition which has a list of criteria you can compare this against, you are also guilty of making statements which are opinions, but laid out as ultimatums.

I am not the only one in this thread which says that you could at the very least classify the driver installer as adware, which you have denied. So it is very clear that this is a matter of what your personal definition, not some indisputable facts.

No one cares.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

I am now wondering how old a thread has to be before it is considered necro'd.  It appears 3 weeks is enough. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Topic has been discussed to death. Locking it down. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS