AMD making money from ad revenue from installing drivers!?!?

zMeul

2017 and gamers are having a hissy fit over a shortcut that can easily be deleted (that leads to free beta of a  game)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Eh if this was getting them money which then allows AMD to give me a product that's 10% faster or cheaper then sign me up, more ads please. If I can remove them easily and with very little effort or if I have to watch 15 second ad during a driver install that is something I am willing to put up with. Money makes products.

Just now, leadeater said:

Eh if this was getting them money which then allows AMD to give me a product that's 10% faster or cheaper then sign me up, more ads please. If I can remove them easily and with very little effort or if I have to watch 15 second ad during a driver install that is something I am willing to put up with. Money makes products.

Everyone wants better products, no one wants to support the manufacturer to get said better products.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Snip

49 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Snip

Well then, better becareful about that future install your doing for your friend, like preinstalling Steam for them, cause you're being nice, where they get pissed off at you for installing something without their permission. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Jesus Christ they already said they removed the ads hours ago...

oh WAHHH I can't be bothered to look at an ad while installing drivers... Ya. Like you'll be doing anything else, your PC will be reset in 5 mins and it'll all be over.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

10 hours ago, Notional said:

Seriously, it's a link shortcut. People completely accept telemetry, vendor lock in, forced log ins, and several anti consumer behaviours, plus overpricing.

No, they don't. They complain about it in threads when those issues are applicable. This thread is about AMD, and about a specific thing the company did that people have a problem with. When there's a thread about something NVIDIA does wrong, everyone rushes to say, "Oh thank goodness AMD doesn't do this thing! You're such an evil company, NVIDIA. AMD would never screw over its customers like that!" But when there's something that AMD does wrong, it goes like this: "Oh, this is alright and not a big deal because NVIDIA and other companies do it too. They can screw us over all they like and I can't be bothered to hold them to the same standard as other companies because of my bias towards them. Go AMD!"

I would love to see how different the reactions in this thread would be if NVIDIA did the same thing. 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Well then, better becareful about that future install your doing for your friend, like preinstalling Steam for them, cause you're being nice, where they get pissed off at you for installing something without their permission. 

That's not even the same thing.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Jesus Christ they already said they removed the ads hours ago...

oh WAHHH I can't be bothered to look at an ad while installing drivers... Ya. Like you'll be doing anything else, your PC will be reset in 5 mins and it'll all be over.

It wasn't an ad during install.   You should probably read the article and comments before posting like that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why not?

Your friend say to reinstall windows for them and never asked for Steam.

Same thing here. User asked for newest amd drivers and never a link to a beta game. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

It's literally just a web shortcut on your desktop. Takes no space at all on your system. Doesn't slow it down, in fact doesn't even affect it at all since it's a web shortcut and not an actual application that was installed without your permission. (PUP/Bloatware).

No one is forcing you to click the shortcut. No one is forcing you to keep it on your desktop. It can be deleted just as easily. As far as "Ads" goes, this is very benign and quite frankly doesn't even constitute an ad to me.

It's certainly not worse than your browser putting their affiliated google/bing/yahoo/etc search as default, which you're probably not even aware of. Or Microsoft shoving apps like Candy Crush on you.

Reading this thread, you'd think AMD killed their first born.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It wasn't an ad during install.   You should probably read the article and comments before posting like that.

I did read the article, I know what it is. Boo fucking hoo people. Not a big deal

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Why not?

Your friend say to reinstall windows for them and never asked for Steam.

Same thing here. User asked for newest amd drivers and never a link to a beta game. 

You're only defense is to make up a situation that would not logically happen given the arguments I have made.    As you said, "User asked for newest amd drivers and never a link to a beta game."  but AMD installed the link anyway.  Your assumption that this is o.k because you think I would do that to someone else is preposterous.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I did read the article, I know what it is. Boo fucking hoo people. Not a big deal

if you read the article why did you call it an ad during install?  when clearly it wasn't.  There is a huge difference between an ad during install and placing tracked shortcuts on you desktop without your permission.

Again, just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.  Your derisory mostly petulant language insinuates you're more invested in this than you would like people to believe. 

32 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

2017 and gamers are having a hissy fit over a shortcut that can easily be deleted (that leads to free beta of a  game)

Strange...I could've sworn the issue here was over the principle of the thing AMD did and also convincing people to disregard their fanboyism and bias and hold AMD to the same standards as they would a company like NVIDIA, i.e. complain when they do something that's bad for consumers and view the issue completely independently of your preconceived notions of the morality of the company.

I strongly believe that a lot of people in this thread are letting their love of AMD paint their view of this issue into an "AMD can do no evil" sort of thing. It can be easy to slip into that mentality. They do good things that you pay attention to, and the brain tends to forget critical thinking for that situation and view the person or company as "good" or "trustworthy." It works pretty well for people (though not always), but companies are a different matter altogether, because ultimately they only care about the consumer to the extent that they make them money. The brain has already come to its conclusion, and it becomes hard to change that. But, what certain people in this thread are advocating for, namely @mr moose and @LAwLz, is that people should always continue that critical thinking and never draw conclusions about the company itself. Instead, examine their actions and draw conclusions about those actions each time. It takes more effort, yes, but you can more or less objectively determine how trustworthy the company is and if they continue to deserve your money and support. 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

1 minute ago, Shakaza said:

-snip-

I don't have a love for either AMD nor NVIDIA. I don't really see why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over an icon that you don't have to go to control panel to remove... It didn't install the game nor did it add any additional software to your system... Some applications add such icons when they're installed and 99% of users never see them because they don't go looking in appdata nor do they bother too look in the install directory for the application.

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

if you read the article why did you call it an ad during install?  when clearly it wasn't.  There is a huge difference between an ad during install and placing tracked shortcuts on you desktop without your permission.

Again, just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.  Your derisory mostly petulant language insinuates you're more invested in this than you would like people to believe. 

I'd rather not type "placing tracked shortcuts on you desktop without your permission". Much easier, you know what I meant.

My use of what you seem to call "childish" language is just how I like to talk/type. So what? I like to say the words Cunt, Fuck, or whatever. Adds some flavor, I do refrain myself from calling people cunts on these forums though I mean no harm.

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I'd rather not type "placing tracked shortcuts on you desktop without your permission". Much easier, you know what I meant.

My use of what you seem to call "childish" language is just how I like to talk/type. So what? I like to say the words Cunt, Fuck, or whatever. Adds some flavor, I do refrain myself from calling people cunts on these forums though I mean no harm.

Can you see why there might be a problem in interpretation if you aren't willing to be specific but are willing to use colorful if not somewhat derisory language? 

Edited by mr moose
speeeelings

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Can you see why there might be a problem in interpretation if you aren't willing to be specific but are willing to use colorful if not somewhat derisory language? 

It should be common sense for what I was to referring to. Typing on a little ass phone i'd rather not have to sit here and type out every minuscule detail

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

For the most part the hissy fit is fine, throwing shit on my desktop without saying anything isn't cool and is reason enough to vocalize the complaint.  The bigger beef with this thread is people adding their own flavour of complete bullshit trying to make it a bigger deal.  Pretending its a program thats been installed, or that AMD is getting paid for referral ads is just as idiotic a thing to do if not more so.  In doing so they lose credibility and get relegated valley girl drama queen status.

12 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Pretending its a program thats been installed, or that AMD is getting paid for referral ads is just as idiotic a thing to do if not more so.

Except that getting paid is what the original article claimed. So no one here is pretending, they are simply responding to the news.  If that is idiotic then that means everyone on this forum is an idiot for forming an opinion based on anything they have read.

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Except that getting paid is what the original article claimed. So no one here is pretending, they are simply responding to the news.  If that is idiotic then that means everyone on this forum is an idiot for forming an opinion based on anything they have read.

AMD responded that the link is just a link and no money is made out of it. True or now, we don't know, but OP saw a Bit.ly link and automatically assumed AMD is making money out of it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Is responding without thinking supposed to be a measure of intelligence?  How about if an article were proclamations of hollow earth "facts"?  Should I not call people parroting, or out of ass pulling, it idiotic?

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD responded that the link is just a link and no money is made out of it. True or now, we don't know, but OP saw a Bit.ly link and automatically assumed AMD is making money out of it.

That didn't come to light until well into the discussion.  And the original article made the claim they were being paid for it, it was not the OP's assumption based on a bit.ly link.

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Is responding without thinking supposed to be a measure of intelligence?  How about if an article were proclamations of hollow earth "facts"?  Should I not call people parroting, or out of ass pulling, it idiotic?

If you think people are responding without thinking then you haven't been too invested in what they are actually saying. 

32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you think people are responding without thinking then you haven't been too invested in what they are actually saying. 

Well I'd certainly feel better if that were the case, but it hasn't been.  No sir, I've been here wasting time observing the telephone game snowball from the start.  Though considering how it started it was undoubtedly always going to be a snowball started with rocks mixed in.

However since you clearly feel that I've not been an invested member of the community in this regard, feel free to enlighten me.  So long as you understand what it means if  someone was thinking while adding their own charges to the error AMD made. 

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That didn't come to light until well into the discussion.  And the original article made the claim they were being paid for it, it was not the OP's assumption based on a bit.ly link.

I think what was being pointed out is that people are not changing their argument in light of new information and making accusations that a company is doing something that they have already officially addressed.

Also some people are objecting to inflated comparisons that are being used to try and provide a descriptive measure to their point of view. We often need to give comparisons and examples when formulating our point of view but care needs to be take in how you do it otherwise it has the opposite intended effect and detracts the conversation away from the underlying point.

Nobody's view is greater or more important than anyone else's, we all have a right to our own opinions but as a forum of discussion everyone also has the right of reply.

This is also a forum for civil discussion so I would ask that everyone please tone it down and not make any accusations towards each other e.g.  Intelligence.