What was your first computer?

xserd

The first household computer was a Commodore PET (CBM 8096) with floppy drive, tape drive and printer my parents got.

I still have them and they work like new. Occasionally I write a stupid BASIC programme on it to remind myself why I never became a programmer. But it's fun.

On 1/6/2013 at 1:25 PM, xserd said:

Hi guys! just wanna share. Mine was an Intel 486 with 4mb of ram, 100mb hdd, 5 1/4 floppy drive, I can't remember the graphics card and the power supply but it came with a mechanical keyboard that uses an AT connector and a serial mouse.

mine is an crappy intel core 2 duo E6300, 2gb ddr3 low density RAM, with random chinese G41 mobos

Mine was an eMachines EL1852g-50w or something like that

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

Commodore 128 with tape deck no floppy drive. I didn't have a monitor so I ran it connected to a TV with the RF adapter.  

I learned to type on that computer, I learned basic Basic programming on it and I played a lot of games on it. 

Still have it stoved away in the attic. 

52 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Commodore 128 with tape deck no floppy drive. I didn't have a monitor so I ran it connected to a TV with the RF adapter.  

I learned to type on that computer, I learned basic Basic programming on it and I played a lot of games on it. 

Still have it stoved away in the attic. 

Awesome.  In some ways they were more user friendly in those days. 

Have you heard someone is trying to recreate it using modern off the shelf components.  The commander 64   Though... it would be even cooler if an official "mini C64" or C128 was made.  I'd wager almost all of it's circuits could be implemented in a single chip these days.  actually I just did the search... that was done twice.  

4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Awesome.  In some ways they were more user friendly in those days. 

Have you heard someone is trying to recreate it using modern off the shelf components.  The commander 64   Though... it would be even cooler if an official "mini C64" or C128 was made.  I'd wager almost all of it's circuits could be implemented in a single chip these days.  actually I just did the search... that was done twice.  

Coolest thing is some one (might be 8-bit guy) made a MOS-6502 table size from discrete components. 

My first computer was a Pismo PowerBook G3, handed down from my father. 

It was really old by the time I got it, so I typically just tried to get on one of my parent's laptops. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

286 6/12MHz, with 1MB RAM and a 20MB HDD

5.25 and 3.5" FDD Drives

My first computer was an old Being Compaq that handled RuneScape pretty well lol. Later on my grandmothers IT guy sold me his custome built computer and that's how I started my journey. This got me into world of warcraft.

My first computer was some pre built with a socket 476 Celeron D with Intel GMA chipset graphics and like half a gig of ram. For some very basic early gaming (see edutainment stuff) or now some retro gaming after chucking in a Pentium 4 its pretty ok.

First one I ever used was an HP Compaq NC6400. I still have it to this day!

The first one I ever had as my own was some Dell Inspiron from 2007. It came with Vista but my Dad installed Lubuntu on it. I used it for a few years, I believe early 2010s, so 2011/2012. My family Desktop PC was a custom built on Win7.

• 1 month later...

I was born in 2004 so I got my first real PC later than most on here, in 2015. It was a P4 HT w/ 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Pro. It ran like crap but it helped get me into technology so will always be an awesome machine 🙂

ASUS V400C laptop. Core i3-2365M, 4GB LPDDR3-1333, 500GB HDD, 1366x768 60Hz screen, Linux Mint 17.3.

Ran any version of Minecraft all the way up to 1.11.2 (max it could run, it officially supported 1.12.2 but that didn't work) at 40-50 FPS. Adding mods brought it down to 30-35 FPS but it seemed the same to me.

It died last year. I dropped it.

elephants

First computer that was actually built/bought by myself was a AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition, 4GB RAM, XFX HD6850 and Windows XP because I couldn't afford legit Windows 7

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

I don't remember but I know it was old old windows XP computer probably 2 gb ram and an intel pentium 4 paired with some GPU that was 256mb video memory and had VGA

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Mine was an HP laptop with an Pentium M 1,73 Ghz 40 GB HDD and 512 Mb Ram. It ran Windows XP and also was the first pc I upgraded the RAM of to 1 GB in this case.

I have it stil lying around and it still works. Not getting rid of it because of sentimental value.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

I had an IBM PS/1 with an OLD Intel chip. It could run Reader Rabbit and Wolfenstein (sometimes).  Storage was in the Megabytes if I remember correctly (this was in the early 90s). Two floppy drives, the big wide one and the smaller hard 5KB ones, and an external CD Rom. And a CRT that you could drop through a car today.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

I was all Apple when I was younger because that's what our family had. I went to college with a Macbook Pro. Before that it was a Performa 550C, PowerMac G3, PowerMac G4, iMac G5 then an Intel Macbook, the first Intel model with the Core2Duo.

It wasn't until 2008 or so that I built my first pc:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600

Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

2x2GB G.Skill DDR2

Some random hard drive until I got the first Intel SSD, the X25-M 80GB.

8 minutes ago, Darkwing Drex said:

I had an IBM PS/1 with an OLD Intel chip. It could run Reader Rabbit and Wolfenstein (sometimes).  Storage was in the Megabytes if I remember correctly (this was in the early 90s). Two floppy drives, the big wide one and the smaller hard 5KB ones, and an external CD Rom. And a CRT that you could drop through a car today.

Ah, the PS/1. I've got a model 2011 with a 286, 1MB of RAM and a 30MB HDD. Those were nice machines. It's a shame mine doesn't work anymore, but oh well. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Some sager laptop. My first computer i used personally. I had some others i shared with my parents before this but those have been lost to time

6gb ddr3

GTX 280m gpu

Some first gen i7 cpu

1tb hdd 250gb ssd.

Got this around 2014-2016 i think? Used it until 2019. One of the coolerswent missing for some reason leading to average temps of 70 degrees and the pc would frequently thermal throttle due to this. Eventually got a weaker but usable laptop.

• Cyrix 486 dx2 66mhz
  • 8mb ram SDRAM
  • 2mb.... rando graphics card, can't remember which, wasn't that important
  • 800mb HDD
  • 2 speed cdrom
  • 14 inch crt monitor
  • not sure on the mobo, was a pre-built from a little computer store circa 1995
  • Windows 3.1

I was over the moon to get this for Christmas 1995. I also toasted it the same day and cried like a baby. There used to be a voltage switch on PSUs (for a while I think they put a blank plate over them and then just phased them out entirely for region specifc version), I was a very... trial and error kind of learner and I learned not to switch that again. Went up in a puff of electrical smelling smoke. My dad wasn't too pleased but he took it back, complained that they never mentioned anything about that switch and they replaced the PSU as a result.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

First computer that our family bought was an IBM Aptiva with (I think) an AMD K6 at about 350mhz. Not counting work laptops my dad had before that.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16