What was your first computer?

xserd

So yeah, as the title, what was your first PC that you remember owning?

For me, it was a HP Pavillion 4450 lol.  Got it on my 16th birthday as a gift from my parents.

Had the following, whopping specs:

CPU: 400MHz Intel Celeron

RAM: 64MB

GPU: ATI Rage Pro

Storage: 6.4Gb

Take a look at the beautiful beast lol

250px-HP_Pavilion_4450.PNG

So now that you are clearly all jealous, what systems started all of you off to PC building and what-not?

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

The very first computer I used that I distinctly remember being owned by my family was actually something custom that had an 866MHz Pentium III and an HP motherboard.

The first computer I owned was an HP laptop that had an AMD A6-5200 and 4GB of RAM.

The first desktop I owned was basically a rebuild of my older brother's former rig that had an AMD FX-4100, a Radeon HD 7850, 8GB of RAM and hard drives that I had lying around. I still have mostly everything from that rig.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

my first one was ~2001-2002 (i think? +- 1 year), some athlon (either 64 or XP), and an ATI r9600 pro 256MB. I think it either had 512MB or 1GB DDR1 ram. I upgraded it to 2GB DDR1 (2x1), and still have my ram sticks + gpu)

Hi,

My first pc was a no-name intel x386-dx-40, whopping 2mb of memory... before that it was allinones, amiga, c64 and the first first computer was a vic20 (with a gigantic just under 3.5 kilobytes (3400 or so bytes) free after start...

High-res mode on the vic was 160 x 100 pixels (text was 24x20 chars or so)

Yes, im probly as old as santa ?

My first pc had Core 2 Duo E8400 and Asus mobo, Rampage formula i guess? I could mess up the cpu. But i think it was it. 4 gigs of ram, GT 8800. I got it from my dad when he decided that he is buying himself a new pc

Quote me so I can reply <3

PowerMac G4

6B0B5B93-BACC-4453-8B40-D15BF60ADBF8.jpeg.3efe5b21d653e798c2d62f418f7cbee3.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well....... i dont remember what it was, but i can tell you that its CPU is on my keychain

That is possibly the nerdiest, yet coolest, thing I've never thought of...

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

My first ever PC was an IBM Aptiva running Windows 95.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My first family PC was a pre built from a company that doesn't exist anymore. 

I was too young to know the spec or anything about it. (milky white chassis and CRT era, running windows ME)

It all started when i was 3, I used my dad's old work pc. A dell with a pentium 3 and 256mb of ram. And some s3savage4 graphics card thing. It ran XP it's what i learned how to use computers on, and i actually still have the board, cpu, and ram. Then i got my moms old inspiron 6000 which is what i used for a while until i built the one i use now.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

6 minutes ago, Gareque said:

That is possibly the nerdiest, yet coolest, thing I've never thought of...

Spoiler

IMG_20190321_190306.thumb.jpg.bdec63b789babd0a411096a4a5dd55d1.jpg

Oh it gets nerdier. It is next to my Opteron 6178 delidded 12 core server CPU.

My parents had some clunker sitting in our living room for the longest time. I don't remember the specs... or anything about it really.

My uncle had a spare pc that he gave me when I was 13-14...but I can't recall the specs. That was about 15 years ago.  I don't even think it ran Diablo 2 well...if at all.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

Bondwell 286 laptop with 1MB ram and a 20MB hard drive.

Prior to that, an Atari 800XL

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Mine was a Sinclair ZX81. I even had the extra 16kb ram pack. 

Depends on what you consider a PC.

The first computer I owned was an IMSAI 8080 back in the late 1980's. Toggle switches and LED's for the win. Didn't have a monitor or keyboard.

My first DOS based PC was an Epson Equity II. Had a NEC V30 CPU which could run in either 8086 or 8080 modes. Also ran at a blazing 10MHz IIRC, faster than any of the Intel 8086 based machines. ?

It was some sort of custom machine we got from the farmers market.

No branding, dont remember the specs but I do remember it had windows 98 on it

3 hours ago, Gareque said:

So yeah, as the title, what was your first PC that you remember owning?

I guess that depends how you define "PC."

My first Windows box was a Gateway P5 90, got it in 1995. However, my first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. A ways after that but before the Gateway, I had an original 128K Mac.

-kp

Depends if you want to call the "Magnavox Odyssey²" a computer.

otherwise it was a VIC20

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

15 minutes ago, kpluck said:

I guess that depends how you define "PC."

Heh, this is exactly what I was about to say. My first "PC" per se, was a Commodore 64, but the younger folks nowadays wouldn't call it a "PC", I suppose. My first computer that people nowadays would call a "PC" was some random i8088 I got by going around the town and asking companies if they had any old tech that they didn't use anymore and if I could have it. I got lucky ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Slayerking92 said:

Depends if you want to call the "Magnavox Odyssey²" a computer.

I'd say that's more an early console lol.

I'd say in terms of defining PC, I'd say anything that wasn't all in one.  Something you could pull apart and change bits out on a consumer level.

My very first computer was an Acer laptop, no idea what the specs were. It was from the XP/Vista era, so not that good.

The first system I built was based around an AMD A6-5400K, 8GB of DDR3, and a 1TB Barracuda that lives on in my main rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Gareque said:

I'd say that's more an early console lol.

Well, I did some research, and the Magnavox Odyssey² did have a version of Microsoft Basic available,  I would then consider that a "Personal Computer".

it did also have an Intel CPU. (Intel 8048 8-bit microcontroller running at 1.79 MHz)

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 minute ago, Slayerking92 said:

Well, I did some research, and the Magnavox Odyssey² did have a version of Microsoft Basic available,  I would then consider that a "Personal Computer".

it did also have an Intel CPU. (Intel 8048 8-bit microcontroller running at 1.79 MHz)

A modern console has an OS and a CPU inside it :P.

Couldn't the odyssey only be used to play games?  Which would make it the antithesis to a PC ;)