AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

CommandMan7

A company we were all worried about failing leaving the industry without much needed competition just had its biggest stock jump in its history,  but we're all arguing over the graph an article about it chose to use to represent the change. ..

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

7 minutes ago, cesrai said:

What I understand and from reading the wiki article is that the increase doesn't represent a 50% increase.

$2.62 on Thursday the 21st of April 4PM to $3.99 on Friday 22nd of April 4PM. that is an increase of $1.37

Ok this is how you calculate 50% or half: 2.62/2=1.31.

Adding that 50% is this: 2.62+1.31=$3.93

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

The calculation you did is wrong, and Google's graph checks out. AMD's stock price did go up by just over 50% in that 24 hour period.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you know that thousands of people read threads on LTT right? even though they dont comment or arent registered users

I bet at least some people will learn something about biased graphs :) 

the point of graphs is to make data digestible to people like that who arent very intelligent

or maybe LTT should just always post benchmarks like this

humEcjs.png It's a linearly scaled and accurate graph RIGHT??

LOL you're hilarious xD

Let's test this graph to see if it's linearly scaled and accurate:

Test one: X axis goes in increments of 0.2 FPS. That's linear. Pass.

Test two: Numbers on bars match the X axis. That's accurate. Pass.

So technically, this is linearly scaled and accurate.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

No one said it was good or accurate. Everyone is just extremely puzzled by how you could interpreted the graph to be "bias". 

Uh, that's what a " biased graph " means

one that doesn't show a visual image that corresponds to the real values

If you look at this image there is no way in hell that you will guess this is "52% increase"

CgrGDHXW4AAKHuU_zpsbfjfz38l.jpg

now think about the fact that nearly 75% of people (eg. your parents) will look at a graph without reading the scale, because they assume that it is a correctly made graph that starts at 0

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

$2.62 on Thursday the 21st of April 4PM to $3.99 on Friday 22nd of April 4PM. that is an increase of $1.37

Well you missed the whole point. When you look at graph does it look like a 50% increase ? not it doesn't not even close at all.

1 minute ago, CommandMan7 said:

Let's test this graph to see if it's linearly scaled and accurate:

Test one: X axis goes in increments of 0.2 FPS. That's linear. Pass.

Test two: Numbers on bars match the X axis. That's accurate. Pass.

So technically, this is linearly scaled and accurate.

He said it's biased please read ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The calculation you did is wrong, and Google's graph checks out. AMD's stock price did go up by just over 50% in that 24 hour period.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

If you look at this image there is no way in hell that you will guess this is "52% increase"

now think about the fact that nearly 75% of people (eg. your parents) will look at a graph without reading the scale, because they assume that it is a correctly made graph that starts at 0

The graph is still correct no matter what you think. And it is not biased at all as when you check the 5 day graph, and get a 50% increase between 4PM on the 21st to 4PM on the 22nd. Just like you do with the more in depth graphs.

PMSL

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

Well you missed the whole point. When you look at graph does it look like a 50% increase ? not it doesn't not even close at all.

He said it's biased please read ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph 

Fine then. Would the 5 year graph be good enough? It is a clear indicator that AMD's stock price recently jumped up 50% of what it was:

clap 5.png

Still not biased.

PMSL

@Enderman

@cesrai

At this point I'm just repeating myself, if you don't understand now then I may as well give up. I'm just saying that a person's laziness is not a determining factor in whether or not a graph is bias. If they don't read the numbers, they'll get a wrong answer. It's not the graph's fault. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you know that thousands of people read threads on LTT right? even though they dont comment or arent registered users

I bet at least some people will learn something about biased graphs :) 

the point of graphs is to make data digestible to people like that who arent very intelligent

or maybe LTT should just always post benchmarks like this

humEcjs.png It's a linearly scaled and accurate graph RIGHT??

LOL you're hilarious xD

Then its the time to start a thread titled "Education time: graphs!"

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

maybe Intel announcement had something to do with it also ? Intel going out of PC market and shifting into internet of things, could mean AMD is going to be the major player for desktop CPU from ZEN and forward.

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The part that's pretty exaggerated here is this. No one(other than us) will see the graph like this. Now anyone who is literate will be able to see the y and x axis. So it doesn't  make sense to think that 100% of the 75% who is looking at the graph will see what you think they will see. 

One important thing that you missed out on is the big freaking green text that shows 52.29%. 

That is the text that get's everyone's attention. Not only the graph itself. 

The text does show 52.29% not 500%.

The graph only turns into a bias graph when you show it how you want people to see it. The actual graph by itself is just an estimated visual representation.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

@Enderman

@cesrai

At this point I'm just repeating myself, if you don't understand now then I may as well give up. I'm just saying that a person's laziness is not a determining factor in whether or not a graph is bias. If they don't read the numbers, they'll get a wrong answer. It's not the graph's fault. 

My point is the scale exaggerates the difference. 

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Fine then. Would the 5 year graph be good enough? It is a clear indicator that AMD's stock price recently jumped up 50% of what it was:

clap 5.png

Still not biased.

My point is about the scale it exaggerates the increase, and yes that looks better.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

11 minutes ago, cesrai said:

My point is the scale exaggerates the difference. 

My point is about the scale it exaggerates the increase, and yes that looks better.

No it doesn't, 50% is 50%. And think about this, its still the same data as the 1 month graph.

PMSL

Talking about graphs, here's another one.tmp_21678-Screenshot_2016-04-23-09-56-45-439751555.png

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Actually finding this very difficult to believe but I'm so excited nonetheless. AMD is finally making its big come back :D. I'd love nothing more than to switch away from Intel and Nvidia.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

You. Have. Got. To be kidding me.

2 days ago I was talking to my friend about investing a couple $k into amd. After a few long, drawn out conversations he convinced me to not invest. 

I could be rich right now. 

I think I should just kill myself now. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

To be honest this is probably just a reaction by clever investors who understand that if Intel are going to focus more on mobile computing then someone else is going to have to take up the slack..

c85aa0d9e8.png

This graph shows a 100% increase if you just take a glance and ignore the numbers. If you added the 1.5 to the vertical, the part that isn't show, the graph would be absolutely correct even without the numbers.

325ead1f4f.png

This logarithmic graph shows roughly a 50% height increase, this is approximately what the above graph would ideally look like.

Yes, OP gave all the necessary data, but @Enderman's argument about the graph itself (just the graph, not the numbers associated with it) being misleading is correct. Might not be as relevant considering how the numbers are stated separately, namely the ~52% increase, but it is still a correct statement about the graph itself.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Hopefully AMD will do something meaningful with this, and not just piss it away on technology that nobody cares about (like APU's and HSA).

Catch up with Intel, then use money from that to make an ENTIRELY NEW LINEUP OF GPU's, using HBM with overclocking for all. And watch Nvidia scramble to catch up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hey if I have 2 apples and then get another one, my apple stock just raised 50% as well: it's just not impressive when it's basically worthless.

-------

Current Rig

-------

YES

CMON AMD YOU CAN DO IT

I hope their stocks are not going to fall on monday as steeply as they increased... It happens quite often

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

And so began the story of The Little Tech Company That Could.

C'mon AMD, I'm rooting for you.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

6 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

Damn... 52% in a single day. AMD's market capitalization has gained $190,000,000. What could possibly cause such an event?

How can market cap only have increased by $190 million, when it had a 52% jump to $3.17 billion? The increase should be just over a billion dollars.