AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

CommandMan7
3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Like seeing what everyone has installed on their phone?

When the FTC bans IBM, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel from selling their top tech to China, that's not an action that should be taken lightly.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would think that AMD's Lawyers have already looked into the matter to ensure that they aren't violating any US laws and/or trade deals. Especially if, as you say, the US already shot down a deal IBM tried to make. AMD would have already seen that and been given the heads up on what to look out for.

AMD can afford lawyers? And further, you vastly underestimate what lengths the FTC will go to when at the behest of the NSA.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

AMD can afford lawyers? And further, you vastly underestimate what lengths the FTC will go to when at the behest of the NSA.

With $300 Million USD at stake? I would damn well think AMD can afford lawyers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, Agent181 said:

and zen isnt even out yet so should be going up more

I sold.  I do feel like between now and July prices will steady out, or go down.  After July it will increase back up.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

6 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Within 2 months, this deal will be undone. It's a vital U.S. security interest.

You wanna make a bet?

If I was you, I would be looking into things to make sure I wasn't mixing up things..

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

On 4/23/2016 at 6:53 AM, Enderman said:

The y axis starts at 2.5 and ends at 4

How can you not see that...

A graph that omits the origin is not inherently misleading. It's pretty common, especially when dealing with mostly quite small changes as stock prices usually are.

Dang, should've invested in those stocks for real after all :D.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Within 2 months, this deal will be undone. It's a vital U.S. security interest.

I will mark this down in my calendar. Can't really argue for or against the deal getting undone since it's pure speculation at this point. See you in two months. 

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Being as they are a large company with millions at stake, I'd assume they'd have lawyers on retainer, or even in-house ones.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

With $300 Million USD at stake? I would damn well think AMD can afford lawyers.

dis ^

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

21 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The U.S. government would never allow it. AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are all legally barred from selling their high end stuff to China. If AMD tried to license Zen, the FTC would stomp on the deal with just as much force as when IBM tried to directly license Power 8 to (iirc) Huawei 2 years ago.

Could I see a source for the power8 deal? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's just a little hard to believe the Chinese company would want anything to do with a crappy bulldozer architecture. I just want to confirm the facts :)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 4/23/2016 at 1:35 AM, Enderman said:

You clearly have never seen how smart the average person on this planet is...

I never said this graph was misleading to me, I said the graph is misleading in itself

The point of a graph is to see data without something like this

Which the average person cannot understand

im confused so you think the graph is going to mislead people into thinking that amd's stock price increased 500% when the title clearly says 52%

22 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im confused so you think the graph is going to mislead people into thinking that amd's stock price increased 500% when the title clearly says 52%

People have a tendency to not read, and even if they do read the title, a person is far more likely to remember something they see (an image) rather than something they read. So when someone tries to recall the information in a week there is a very good chance they will have forgotten the exact number, but the graph will be more memorable and thus they will likely "remember" a larger increase as the graph shows a >50% increase. 

Edit: I worded that horribly, I apologize. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not sure why we're arguing about graphs but thought I'd chime in.

@Enderman is actually correct about misleading graphs. The raw data is indeed correct and the graph shown does show the raw data, how can that be biased? By using various techniques such as favorable labelings or even the spacing between data points. 

Why this matters or how it is related to the topic of AMD growth I'm not sure but misleading graphs do exist and can skew interpretations of data.

Finally, the AMD's master plan is becoming reality in the gaming industry - RIP nVIDIA and all the fanboys

1 hour ago, bigneo said:

Finally, the AMD's master plan is becoming reality in the gaming industry - RIP nVIDIA and all the fanboys

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, AMD's market value may have climbed to over $3 billion, but Nvidia is still at nearly $20 billion. 

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM, patrickjp93 said:

The U.S. government would never allow it. AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are all legally barred from selling their high end stuff to China. If AMD tried to license Zen, the FTC would stomp on the deal with just as much force as when IBM tried to directly license Power 8 to (iirc) Huawei 2 years ago.

US govt wouldn't unless they can get something else in return, like a backdoor on those chips. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock graph what so ever. You can change the time span on it, and it contains all the numbers you need, without even looking at the graph. If people are too dumb to understand such a simple graph, then I'm sure they have absolutely no use for the information it holds, as extremely dumb people shouldn't be in the stock trading market to begin with.

Page up and page down of graph nonsense. Graphs should always be made to suit the need of the user. In this case the smaller changes are the important ones. Not a 5 year span. Having it start on 0 would make the graph less detailed and/or much bigger. It makes no sense. Learn to read a graph. You should have it in math class in 4-5th grade in elementary school. I guess they are more qualified for stock trading than people whining about the graph in here :dry:

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The graph could go back a little further, but that's just to change the perspective, not the facts.

I root for the red team so this is good news to me.

On 4/23/2016 at 3:01 PM, Enderman said:

Yeah! :D You get it!

I know this whole graph thing is over but I just wanted to make sure you got this. You need to be aware that the people looking at stock charts are not necessarily concerned with what the price is. The graphs are designed to illustrate the PERCENTAGE change in price, not the actual price. If a stock jumped from $1 to $1.50 that's not much to you or me but to a stock trader that's tremendous and the graphs are created to illustrate the change in an exaggerated way. That way a move in the price of a stock that's trading at $100 will be interpreted similarly to a stock trading at $1... in terms of percentage change.

On 4/23/2016 at 5:03 AM, Fooshi said:

I desperately wanted to invest some cash in AMD when it was at its low point around 1.80-ish  earlier this year.

Someone please ELI5 how to stocks.

In stocks there is a primary market, and secondary market.  Primary market, you trade with the company directly.  Secondary market, you trade with a financial institution who owns the stock of a particular company.  In the primary market, there is a minimum purchase required (1 million dollars usually) and a minimum hold time.  In the secondary market, there is no limitations but the financial institution may charge fees.  For all of us (probably), we trade in the secondary market.

To trade in the secondary market, you have to get a brokerage account.  Not all brokerage accounts are the same, some are reputable, some flat out suck.  Reputable ones can fill your order instantly, but usually charge higher transaction fees.  Ones that suck might not have the stock available to you, place limitations, or cannot buyback your stock in time, but usually have smaller transaction fees.

Each brokerage account handles transactions differently.  I used Fidelity for a while.  You deposit money into the Fidelity account, type in the symbol you want to buy and *click*.  They charge 20 dollars per transaction and takes a total of about 1 week to "settle."

17 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

People have a tendency to not read, and even if they do read the title, a person is far more likely to remember something they see (an image) rather than something they read. So when someone tries to recall the information in a week there is a very good chance they will have forgotten the exact number, but the graph will be more memorable and thus they will likely "remember" a larger increase as the graph shows a >50% increase. 

Edit: I worded that horribly, I apologize. 

so instead of reading the numbers on the graph they are going to take a tape measure and be like the ratio between the axis and the bottom and the axis and the peak is 500 to 1 so this graph indicates 500% increase and I also covered my eyes when clicking on this post to not see the 52% in the title

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so instead of reading the numbers on the graph they are going to take a tape measure and be like the ratio between the axis and the bottom and the axis and the peak is 500 to 1 so this graph indicates 500% increase and I also covered my eyes when clicking on this post to not see the 52% in the title

No, they're going to take a look at the graph and when they try to recall the information they're going to remember what the graph looked like, which at a cursory glance indicates an increase FAR greater than just 50%. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.