The Phonebloks Upgradeable Modular Smartphone Concept Is As Awesome As It Is Unlikely

Your phone is old and you need a new one. You'd be happy as a clam if you could upgrade only one part, but to get the RAM/storage/processor you want, you have to pay for everything. This is why people still build desktop PCs. A concept called Phonebloks takes that modular PC goodness and applies it to smartphones. It's an interesting idea that will probably never, ever come to fruition.

Here's the gist: you buy a phone base that includes the motherboard and enough connective hardware to string all the parts together on one side and mount the screen on the other. The back is full of holes with electrical contacts, sort of like that big green LEGO baseboard you played with before the company turned into an alternate action figure line for superheroes and Harry Potter. Plug in the components you want on the back, grab a screen for the front, and turn it on. Wam bam, you've got a complete and working smartphone with components that can be upgraded by end users at any time.

nexusae0_phonebloks_thumb1.png

nexusae0_phonebloks2_thumb1.png

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/10/the-phonebloks-upgradeable-modular-smartphone-concept-is-as-awesome-as-it-is-unlikely/

Video: 

This is a pretty cool concept. If this becomes a reality, it would be pretty cool to remove some of the items that you don't need in order to make the phone lighter. :) But the first screen design looks really close to the iPhone so hope that they will change it to avoid getting sued for copying their design like Samsung. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Can I flash windows phone 8 and android kit kat to it

Back from the dead....

Note that the concept photo has a few different faceplates and screens, so this appears to have options to not only be a full touchscreen device. If it did actually happen, I see this becoming more of an educational tool rather than a daily use device. It certainly is an interesting concept, but as of now, has little real world purpose or use.

sysloc

what exactly is the "speed" cube? lol

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I think it seems like a really cool idea.

But maybe if some of the modularity was removed it would become more viable, kind of like a pc. Dedicated spots for certain components on a mainboard.

I think it seems like a really cool idea.

But maybe if some of the modularity was removed it would become more viable, kind of like a pc. Dedicated spots for certain components on a mainboard.

What I could see happening is you buy a base with a certain CPU, RAM, and GPU in it (non-modular componets)and then you would be given at the store certain blocks as you build the rest of your phone.

Back from the dead....

Pretty much a phone that is upgradeable like a computer!  I find it interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oDAw7vW7H0c#t=116

PHONEBLOKS.COM IS CURRENTLY OFFLINE, PLEASE VISIThttps://www.thunderclap.it/projects/2... TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!
(or come back tomorrow :)

A phone only lasts a couple of years before it breaks or becomes obsolete. Although it's often just one part which killed it we throw everything away since it's almost impossible to repair or upgrade. visit www.phonebloks.com to show your support and raise your voice.

http://www.facebook.com/davehakkens
http://www.twitter.com/davehakkens

phonebloks.jpg?1376855741

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

This is such a great idea, I wish my iPhone 4 had something like this. I just hope it a. Doesn't have square corners and b. isn't very thick

looks cool like the idea

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

first, i though watercooled phones. but then i watched the video

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I really really really really really really like this idea so much I will totally buy one.

Only thing I dont like about this is the name. @LinusTech get behind this please.

Will there be an OS block?

Also, I approve of this idea. It's a smart way of helping the environment.

This is the future!

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

It's a cool idea, I would only get one if it was Android however.

very cool. i want this to be a thing. a real thing

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

If this concept makes it then I can see it being a lot like custom PC where you can customize absolutely everything and cover it with an outer shell. It would be a better investment than most of the phones allowing you to upgrade a given part of the phone as soon as you thing that you need an upgrade for it instead of spending money every year on the new phone since the one you have now will not be supported soon and become slow compared to the new version. I'm really looking forward to this!

If this could work, It's amazing. Yes please.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.