The Phonebloks Upgradeable Modular Smartphone Concept Is As Awesome As It Is Unlikely

This is a really cool idea!

But I think I would get tired of the same shape and style/look of the phone after maybe like 2-3 years.

This type of phone could become everyone's best phone if the right people are making parts for it.

Though I'm a little skeptical that big companies would want to support it. They make a lot of money selling you stuff that hasn't changed, or making you buy a whole new phone if one part breaks.

this is really really cool

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I imagine that someone would have swapped out all the pieces in the same time that we go through phones today.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

It's all very well simply saying "if you want more speed, just replace with a faster CPU"...is that really possible though? Obviously you could do it; however, not like the video is implying. You can't just swap out a CPU for a faster one and everything work fine such as the CPU needs to communicate with every other part and if you break that line of communication, problems arise. It's a neat idea but from an engineering point of view, it seems very difficult to manufacture as per the video specs. 

its interesting. how does it connect everything? replacing storage with a bigger battery, how would that affect the internal wiring in base? 

Really interesting concept, I mean it may or may not work but I think the concept is worth supporting at least

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

So the creator of this video talks about being able to swap pieces of your phone in order to keep it up to date (tech wise) and keep it customized for every user.

This is a far fetched idea from what is visible, the video creator is using Thunderclap in order to send a massive social media blast on the 29th of October.

The idea is laughable in the way he presents the swapable feature and how the technology will be working. Check out the video and write your comments down below. 

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I don't know how they could do the wiring for the base because in a traditional phone you can't swap out a RAM chip with a CPU even if it had the same pin in and outs, as well as the dimensions.

Back from the dead....

Interesting concept, sadly won't come though.  Also it would be quite difficult to implement.  You can't just swap components in and out like the CPU without software changes etc

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

So if I understood it right the idea is to get the big companies behind this, which will never ever happen unfortunately. this has to be the effort of a single, brand new company, which would make it a niche product and it would just go bust and the parts couldn't be kept up to date.

I think it would be awesome, but it's highly unlikely it will work. 

Bitfenix Shinobi Window, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Intel i5 3570k Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, msi GTX 660 (non-ti) 2GB, Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 8GBCorsair CX600, Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, ASUS Xonar DGX, Windows 7 Home Premium, 1995 IBM Model M2 (buckling springs), SteelSeries Sensei RAW, Sennheiser HD 518, A 22" 1680x1050 LG TV, Samsung S27D390H 27" PLS HD Monitor, Crucial MX-100 256GB SSD, RGB Case LEDs from IKEA(no kidding)

As standardized and customizable as PC gets, there are still limitations of the interface that different manufacturers use. New CPU comes out and the old chipset might not support it and many other problems. Neat idea but I don't think it'll really be as good as it sounds. 

It could work as a premium product first.  Swap parts depending on what you're doing.  Better camera when on vacation,  Bigger or smaller screen when doing different tasks.  Manufactures can make the "accessories" a mix of proprietary (processor, camera) and open (bluetooth, speakers) at first to reduce compatibility issues.  Push for standardized display connection and i/o.  

I also think it will have to wait till the boards and chips can be reduced in size first... otherwise it the modular parts will be too bulky.

If it ever happens, it's going to be a while.

Personally, I hate having multiple devices because of sync issues.  Either modular or something like a portable FULL profile/settings on a stick (with security of course).

My Rigs (past and present)

its an interesting idea but you will need more than 4 or 8 pins on each "block" as it wont have enough connectivity and the connecters will have to last.

it dose take alot of the idea of computers today and throws it into a phone and partnerships could be made as diffrent companys could make diffrent blocks

This is definitely an extremely interesting idea. I would definitely buy it. But...

Is this even possible? If it is possible, which I imagine it is, is it going to be cheap enough to be viable? Is it going to be small enough to not be stupidly bulky? Is it going to come in different sizes? IE, will you have a 3" screen version, a 4" screen version, a 5" screen version and maybe even up to tablet sizes? I can't see this being that simple to do, even though it's such a simple idea! (and amazing!)

I do not see how this would be possible

1. You can't just connect all those "blocks" to the "base" through a couple of pins...

2. All those "right people" and companies will never work together to do this.

As some other people have said, something that may work is having a base phone with expandable storage and battery kits (which basically already exists).

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

cool idea. I know that it is just a concept but they should try and make the device thinner.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

http://kotaku.com/forget-the-iphone-lets-support-this-thing-1294869191?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Uh...yes...take my money right now. Just load up Android onto this thing (if it isn't already) and I think we have the what could possibly the best phone ever, and you would only need to buy 1 and then by the upgradable blocks. Hopefully this company gets enough money and whatnot to mass produce this phone, because I know I'm not the only one who's saying this right now:

acb.jpg

COMIC SANS

This keeps getting posted! Lovely, though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This keeps getting posted! Lovely, though.

Didn't see the thread the thread until you pointed this out.

>.>

Everybody just uh...move along to that thread...this is not the thread you're looking for. 

COMIC SANS

no matter how many people want this it won't happen.

it would lower the amount of profit for companies since you only have to upgrade small parts of the phone.

also itd be very difficult to make all parts of the phone interchangeable.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552