[updated] Asetek demands Gigabyte and AMD to cease sales of the 980 Water Force and Fury X on infringement claims

zMeul

source: http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2217-asetek-demands-cessation-of-fury-x-and-waterforce-sales

do you recall the Asetek suit against CoolerMaster? do you also recall Asetek commenting on the Fury X cooling solution being similar to Seidon 120V? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/455172-fury-x-price-might-be-affected-by-a-cooler-master-suit-vs-asetek/
well, Asetek went full berserk and now they're demanding AMD to stop selling of their Radeon R9 Fury X and GigaByte for their GTX 980 Water Force

post-96912-0-90567000-1449527386.gif

Asetek’s attorneys have recently sent cease and desist letters to Gigabyte, demanding that it cease selling Giga-Byte’s GEFORCE GTX 980 Water Force (sold under at least model number GV-N980WAOC-4GD) because it contains the Seidon 120M found by the court to infringe Asetek’s patents. 

Asetek’s attorneys have also written a cease and desist letter to AMD, demanding that it stop selling its Radeon R9 Fury X product, because it infringes Asetek’s patents.  Our attorneys have had some difficulty obtaining a Gigabyte GV-N98TXTREME W-6GD, but we expect to receive and analyze one very soon for infringement.

Asetek wrote to GamersNexus:

There is no licensing agreement in place with Cooler Master, nor do we plan to offer any in the foreseeable future.  Asetek sued Cooler Master and CMI USA, Inc. (Cooler Master’s US affiliate) for infringement of Asetek’s US Patent Nos. 8,240,362 and 8,245,764, and the jury found that the Cooler Master products at issue infringe Asetek’s patents and awarded damages to Asetek.  The judge also entered an injunction prohibiting Cooler Master and CMI USA from importing or selling the accused products in the US, and the judge awarded enhanced damages because of continued sales after the jury’s verdict.  The injunction states ‘[a]s used herein, Infringing Products shall mean the following Cooler Master products: Seidon 120M, Seidon 120XL, Seidon 240M, Seidon 120V, Seidon 120V Plus, Nepton 140XL, [Nepton 280L], Glacer 240L, and products not more than colorably different from them.

why is this happening? apparently, CM did not comply with the court's decision and Asetek demand stop of all sales and seeking double royalties pay for non-compliance
initially, Asetek was granted by court's decision 14.5% royalties for all infringing products

---

holy shit batman! I totally saw this coming  ^_^
if AMD will stop selling their Fury X it will a major blow to their income; and the possibly bad part ... their upcoming "Gemini" dual-Fury X card, if used with the same CLC might not even make it to market until they redesign the CLC

---

update Dec 7th: http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2220-amd-response-to-asetek-cnd-on-fury-x
AMD responds to Asetek cease and desist letter:

We are aware that Asetek has sued Cooler Master. While we defer to Cooler Master regarding the details of the litigation, we understand that the jury in that case did not find that the Cooler Master heat sink currently used with the Radeon Fury X infringed any of Asetek’s patents.

if AMD will stop selling their Fury X it will a major blow to their income;

I don't think that'll happen. But even if it did, I wouldn't say it would be a 'major' blow, most people buy a 980Ti within that budget anyway, if they stopped selling 380's/390's, THAT would be a major blow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Seriously though, it wont make much of a difference as most people buy a 980ti at that price point anyway

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Asetek staaaahp!

y u do dis 2 us, you aren't exactly contributing to anything by doing this!

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I don't think that'll happen. But even if it did, I wouldn't say it would be a 'major' blow, most people buy a 980Ti within that budget anyway, if they stopped selling 380's/390's, THAT would be a major blow.

I agree, the 380 and 390s are there most popular cards by far, though any potential loss in sales aren't good

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

instead of buying 390, you could buy a 290/X, it's cheaper  ^_^

also, AMD's shipments dropped 10% year-to-year: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/484409-jon-peddie-research-q3-pc-graphics-add-in-board-aib-market/

what happened? 3xx series launched - people are still buying 2xx series

You know that includes the GTX 980 Water Force, so why not include it in the title?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Well I gotta hand it to zMeul, I did not think Asetek would do this. That said, I understand Asetek doing so. After all CM outright stole AMD from them (Asetek in 295x2, CM in Fury X and FuryX2). This complicates things for AMD, but I doubt it will be a huge issue. They are selling everything they can make as it is.

I have a Seidon 120V2 and I gotta say, I much prefer Asetek units as they aren't as damn noisy (running the pump at 30% solves the noise though). So I get the noise part in the FuryX. Wish AMD would return to Asetek and get a better deal.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This is a biased title. I want the title to mention the 980 Water Force, otherwise it's one-sided.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I bought the 290X cause it indeed is cheaper than a 390 here in Poland, it's also faster ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

dont think that this will hurt amd.... they barely sell fury x cards ..... there is still the r9 nano which almost the same performance as the X for cheaper... the have still many cards to choose from... amd should  allow AIBs to make air cooled versions of the fury x.... problem solved ....980ti is the better option at the high end anyway... 

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Really hope asetek just reworks a deal with AMD and hope this doesn't impact Gemini much I was thinking of upgrading to one from my Fury X in the future

Also is warmer and performs worst, 
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1438?vs=1594

@Morgan MLGman I bought the 290X cause it indeed is cheaper than a 390 here in Poland, it's also faster ^^

^^

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Really hope asetek just reworks a deal with AMD and hope this doesn't impact Gemini much I was thinking of upgrading to one from my Fury X in the future

Also is warmer and performs worst, 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1438?vs=1594

mate, you're comparing a reference 290X with a custom 390 ..  <_<

and ignoring the fact that 290/390, 290X/390X are identical ASIC

Jay managed to get his matrix R9 290x beaten by the MSI r9 390 in some games

Pascal laptops guide

and ignoring the fact that 290/390, 290X/390X are identical ASIC

There's no reference 390  so I figured I'd compare the best 290x anandtech has benched which is 290x Uber vs 390 but yes that is something valid to point out... and ^ look at the post above me even some aftermarket 290s/290xs are still losing to some 390s

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

This is a biased title. I want the title to mention the 980 Water Force, otherwise it's one-sided.

980 Water Force - how many people actually bought that?! that monstrosity is irrelevant and GigaByte won't lose a dime discontinuing it

Our attorneys have had some difficulty obtaining a Gigabyte GV-N98TXTREME W-6GD, but we expect to receive and analyze one very soon for infringement.

11495_big.png

980 Water Force - how many people actually bought that?! that monstrosity is irrelevant and GigaByte won't lose a dime discontinuing it

Still involved in this and a relevant piece of info.

Does that change the fact that Asetek asked both companies to pull it......no.

Pascal laptops guide

Does it matter? The article contains information about the 980 Water Force that Gigabyte sells. It may not affect them but it is relevant. By not putting that in the title, it makes Asetek look biased towards Gigabyte. "Oh, don't worry about it. We're just going after AMD." Except they're going after both companies - I do not want Tech News posts filled with biased information. The OP's are reporting information. That's it. You are to have at least some original input, which also includes opinion, but the information present should be dealing with what the articles are reporting. Not just one side, and that includes the title.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Does it matter? The article contains information about the 980 Water Force that Gigabyte sells. It may not affect them but it is relevant. By not putting that in the title, it makes Asetek look biased towards Gigabyte. "Oh, don't worry about it. We're just going after AMD." Except they're going after both companies - I do not want Tech News posts filled with biased information. The OP's are reporting information. That's it. You are to have at least some original input, which also includes opinion, but the information present should be dealing with what the articles are reporting. Not just one side, and that includes the title.

the 980WF was mentioned in the body of the post I made - you haven't edited that, have you  ^_^

why i tried to keep the title short was because it was bought to my attention some time ago people have difficulty reading the title from a mobile platform

the 980WF was mentioned in the body of the post I made - you haven't edited that, have you  ^_^

why i tried to keep the title short was because it was bought to my attention some time ago people have difficulty reading the title from a mobile platform

I did not edit the body of the post, that is correct. The title matters though - that is what is capturing your audience's attention. One-sided titles are not okay.

I did not edit the body of the post, that is correct. The title matters though - that is what is capturing your audience's attention. One-sided titles are not okay.

one sided title was not my intention - if I would've done that, I would've intentionally removed any mention of GigaByte and their 980WF  ;) I did not

one sided title was not my intention - if I would've done that, I would've intentionally removed any mention of GigaByte and their 980WF  ;) I did not

You did. In the title.