Experiences with non-techies

A friend of me thought he could put a i7 4770K in a pretty cheap motherboard with a am3+ socket..had to explain real slow that he need to get a new motherboard with a socket for the i7, it till a white befor he got it xD

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

My school is running pirated versions of Windows 7 Professional

You sure?  The're not just a volume license?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

"how much RAM does your video card have?" 

my friend asked that when i brought my laptop to school.

i replied

"2GB but it's not all about RAM"

he replied

"it's all about RAM"

and he and some other people geeked out (not really) when they saw that my laptop has 8GB of RAM. yep.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

My school is running pirated versions of Windows 7 Ultimate on old P4's.. :(

oh dear,  I find it amazing how these schools can run pirated windows... how does Microsoft even let them?!? 

You sure?  The're not just a volume license?

yup sure. 

At my school at least.  

This is getting OT again :/

Anyways, I used to think that RAM was everything in a pc thus I persuaded 2 of my friends to get laptops and only look at RAM. Yeah, they both have shitty laptops.

ALSO, at my school people think I'm Einstein just becuase I know how to troubleshoot VERY BASIC problems. Every f***ing minute I hear "Myles, this isn't printing!" Turns out they have the wrong printer selected. Surprising how people can whiz their way around Facebook, but don't know how to use Word's printing UI

oh dear,  I find it amazing how these schools can run pirated windows... how does Microsoft even let them?!?

If Microsoft did know, they would sue their ass probably :P

Technically the entire tower's contents is a processing unit, though if it's central that would imply there are other units, and since a CPU is a part of the tower these people are just being stupid...

Not everything is processing information, far from that. The PSU? The fans? Storage? Buses? Etc.

The CPU is the heart of data processing in a pc. Therefore, only it can be referred to as central processing unit.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

My school is running pirated versions of Windows 7 Ultimate on old P4's.. :(

My school is running pirated versions of Windows 7 Professional on outdated computers, and I also have been like that. Depression is not fun. :(

My school pays for all their licences except on the library computers where they use pirates Microsoft office.

We have some HP workstations with xeons and big monitiors but the rest of the computers use pentiums.

My school pays for all their licences except on the library computers where they use pirates Microsoft office.

We have some HP workstations with xeons and big monitiors but the rest of the computers use pentiums.

*cough cough i5's in the ones that used to be in tech cough cough*

If Microsoft did know, they would sue their ass probably :P

yeah, and even worse.  Is they are a school?!?!  They are supposed to be showing examples!  And are supposed to be legit, because the school got new computers last year, but they still use pirated windows. 

yeah, and even worse.  Is they are a school?!?!  They are supposed to be showing examples!  And are supposed to be legit, because the school got new computers last year, but they still use pirated windows.

They should be saying not to pirate :P if I was at a school where they did pirate, I'd call the police.

OT IN THE EXTREME :- 

I am extremely dubious of all these pirated pieces of Micrsoft software being run by state schools.  I am not saying it can't/doesn't happen but to be as widespread as made out... I have seen Office 'blue' which installs without an activation number or password or any of that malarkey however it is V expensive, perhaps if you were installing office on >100 computers it would make financial sense.  Schools (especially state ones) are too open have too many people with access etc for MS not to find out and sue the living bejeesus out of them.  Private schools in developing countries may well be a different story.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

@Everyone on schools pirating windows

I started managing a computer laboratory at my university (in exchange for pizza and credit)...

They have a bunch of old P3/P4 systems 'upgraded' to single core Atoms...

They used to run pirated windows until we installed Linux Mint 14 (iirc. it was the previous one with LTS)...

The goal was to familiarize the students with the Linux shell commands while building confidence and competence in the use of other pieces of software...

It was a small success...

But for the 'experiences with non-techies part':

I redid the inventory of the computers and equipment (excluding furniture) for the lab... The admin gave me a copy of the original inventory...

They listed each PC (including all peripherals) as 'microcomputer, 1 set' or 'computer with DVD Drive, 1 set'...

I facepalmed internally...

Good god, I was gone for a week and I had 10 pages to read. I don't know what was up with @babbaj and others with the fighting. That seemed unnecessary.

Well, I got a story.

On Wednesday, I was over at my aunt's house trying to fix her computer. She says her cursor wasn't working. I said to try to move the mouse. What she did? She moved it, IN THE AIR. I told her to put the mouse on the desk. It still wouldn't move. Come to find out, it was unplugged, so I put it back in. She says it still doesn't work. I looked under the mouse to look for buildup. What I realized? IT WAS A BALL MOUSE. And the ball was gone. What a stupid move to come help.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

We just got my granny a samsung galaxy tab 3 7 inch and she is able to reply to emails and browse the internet with it. Next time we visit we will teach her to use the play store if she hasn't figured it out by then.

We just got my granny a samsung galaxy tab 3 7 inch and she is able to reply to emails and browse the internet with it. Next time we visit we will teach her to use the play store if she hasn't figured it out by then.

Just make sure to teach her about paid apps so she doesn't spend huge amounts of money on the accidentally ;)

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have the task of teaching my mom how to use an S4. I installed CyanogenMod on it so that it would be more simplistic and less cluttered than touchwiz but it's still completely different from what she is used to (iOS 3.something. Yeah neither me nor my brother really ever bothered to update her old phone...)

Okay I'm gonna do this differently and take some experiences from the time when I was a non-techie:

1- Goes to buy a laptop only comparing the weight and clock speed, in the end I got a piece of shit toshiba doesn't even list in their website that couldn't run for an 1:30 on battery saving even with intel 3000 graphics, and with a hinge that unlocks the laptop when held upside down.

2- During my look out I asked a lady in the store about battery life, she said all laptops have 3-4 hours standard (and I believed her)

And here is some stories about non techies too:

1- During a class the teacher asked me about open source and an example of it, I then explained it and gave android as an example and how custom ROM like cyanogenmod exist because of its open source aspect. Once I was done the teacher went on to ask a sleeping student near me to explain what I just said, and here literally what came out from her:

''Android is an app, you know like Apple''

Never ever laughed that bad :D  

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just make sure to teach her about paid apps so she doesn't spend huge amounts of money on the accidentally ;)

She hasn't put in any credit card details yet so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have the task of teaching my mom how to use an S4. I installed CyanogenMod on it so that it would be more simplistic and less cluttered than touchwiz but it's still completely different from what she is used to (iOS 3.something. Yeah neither me nor my brother really ever bothered to update her old phone...)

My Mum got an S3 a few months ago and it has always been bear-in-the-air that helped het because he has an S2 and I have an HTC One SV

My Mum got an S3 a few months ago and it has always been bear-in-the-air that helped het because he has an S2 and I have an HTC One SV

Touchwiz is quite hard to use sometimes, but has some good features. I should start a poll on peoples favorite phone / tablet OS / UI

my school in egypt uses pirated copies of windows xp and not just any pirated xp's no no no ones that come with bloatware and themes and viruses

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

How is anyone supposed to use them!?

they are only used in "computer class" which basically means how to open and close office 2003 and how to change text size also p3 and CRT

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hell, my school had ok PCs. They were Fujitsu-Siemens machines with Pentium Dual-Cores (like E2200), 2GB RAM and Windows 7 (upgraded from XP). Which ran fine. Then they bought like 5 new i3 HPs. Barely any faster in booting, that's all.

Also, I had a secondary school (which I had to visit 4h in the week), and they had Pentium D's, with extremely slow hard drives, and (usually) chewing gum stuck into the intake fans. And all of them were slow. Booting took at least 10 minutes. And you were supposed to use Google SketchUp on them.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti