Experiences with non-techies

When my friend got his new pc he had two options: a good monitor, and a lousy (actually horrible) tower, or a decent tower and a decent monitor. He picked the better monitor because OBVIOUSLY since the monitor shows the picture the better the monitor, the more frames in game... Wow, just wow.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

I'm sure this is fairly common with family members who don't have much of an interest or understanding in tech, but I was debating ordering the M95 I want and trialling Amazon Prime to get it here before we go on holiday (vacation for you North Americans) or to wait until we come back and order it then along with an ESO Time Card I need, and after checking to see if the price had been distorted, my mum goes "£64, that's a bit expensive for a mouse, isn't it?". Before I could explain she said "What's wrong with your other one?" referring to my temporary replacement mouse after I kinda broke my M310's scrollwheel. Luckily there are things wrong with my temporary mouse (it making my hand sweat, and being way to small to fit properly), but I also mentioned about how the M95 has a higher quality sensor and MOAR BUDDONS.

I think that non-techies don't realise is that having a computer as a hobby and investing in good parts is similar to having a classic car and investing time into tweaking and looking after it - it's expensive. However, she does kinda have a point with the mouse. Corsair's marketing don't seem to understand what an exchange rate is. The M95 retails for $79.99 and is listed at £65 on their site. That's about £10-15 above the exchange rate (blame shipping?) but they originally had it for £80, and on Amazon the mouse is listed as £80 cut down to £64 with Corsair as the seller. If it ever goes back up to that 'full price' I'm paying ~170% of the price of the mouse in USD.

Damn, that was longer than I expected. Must be in a typing mood :P

TL;DR was debating buying an M95 before I go on holiday and when my mum saw the price she said "that's expensive for a mouse, isn't it? What's wrong with the one you have?"

Got my M95 for $30 used. My friend still couldn't see why I spent that much when I had this $15 wireless mouse.

btw. That mouse is FLIPPIN AWESOME! Haven't been able to use it much but I love the high dpi and bud dons!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Wouldn't it be possible if you somehow get rid of the ocp?

No, what would be very possible if one attempted that would be fire.

Everyone like a nice fire.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

No, what would be very possible if one attempted that would be fire.

Everyone like a nice fire.

You're right, everyone needs a nice fire to cook food, keep warm and to burn down the houses of his/her enemies! (Not promoting arson, was just a joke)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yesterday the finder on the computer I was using at TAFE kept locking up when I tried to transfer files from a network drive to the local storage. 7 reboots later, we learn that some idiots have been trying to work on pro tools documents and stream video files over the network, and everyone else had to suffer. The solution was to reboot the entire network.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Yesterday the finder on the computer I was using at TAFE kept locking up when I tried to transfer files from a network drive to the local storage. 7 reboots later, we learn that some idiots have been trying to work on pro tools documents and stream video files over the network, and everyone else had to suffer. The solution was to reboot the entire network.

The solution was to find the guys and smack them with a big hammer. Or just reboot the entire network....

The solution was to find the guys and smack them with a big hammer. Or just reboot the entire network....

Better yet use a ban hammer and ensure he doesn't get on the network again.

Or use a DBAN Hammer and wipe their drives.

I can't. Everything stored locally is wiped when the machine turns off, so it's all put on the 'student share'.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

So this happened.. I've been trying for about five times now to get a legitimate rating on my specs..

3e2d06575c808f654dbad795212540ea.png-expensive cooler for locked cpu

-cheapish mobo, probably not the best choice

-good amount of ram

-good, standard hdd

-a radeon 7770 wut?

-iirc not a great psu

-lol wut

5.5/10

-expensive cooler for locked cpu

-cheapish mobo, probably not the best choice

-good amount of ram

-good, standard hdd

-a radeon 7770 wut?

-iirc not a great psu

-lol wut

5.5/10

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there. The cooler is there because I've had bad experiences with stock coolers, and I got it for $29..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This thread right here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/196669-very-high-latencyunreliable-internet-connection/#entry2675590

I was expecting a loose coax cable, a filter on the coax TAP, a bad grounding connection, maybe even a DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding issue, or maybe even TWC being retarded by messing up their CMTS headend.

NOPE, read the OP's last response. I figuratively facepalmed reading the reply. I mean Amazon's cloud hosting solution is dirt cheap, yet he does that on his home connection.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there. The cooler is there because I've had bad experiences with stock coolers, and I got it for $29..

I hate it when people review your system like your just made of money.  

I hate it when people review your system like your just made of money.  

Same, I'm not just throwing money like my trees are growing them.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Talking to this kid on Facebook as we speak:

"Dude I'm getting this new computer."

"Specs?"

"i7 4930k, 64GB RAM, GTX 780."

"What games do you expect to play?!"

"Minecraft."

#killmenow

i play minecraft at pretty good graphics atm and my pc is shit

u wot m7+1

i play minecraft at pretty good graphics atm and my pc is shit

That game's badly optimised and everything, but I'd never recommend more than a low-end i5 (in case they wanted to do anything that eats CPU time), 4-8GB ram and a 750Ti. That sort of system would play MC and all source games on good settings, and maybe manage something like Skyrim or Thief or whatever on medium.

A lot of MC YouTubers I watch have high spec systems (680/690/780 and 4670k/4770k/4790k) but they do play other games and need to be able to render videos whilst recording and playing to keep up with their schedule

Talking to this kid on Facebook as we speak:

"Dude I'm getting this new computer."

"Specs?"

"i7 4930k, 64GB RAM, GTX 780."

"What games do you expect to play?!"

"Minecraft."

#killmenow

That's what happenes if your parents are drowning in money...

CPU: I7 4790 @ 4GHz /w Cooler Master Hyper 412S | MOBO: ASUS Z97 PRO | GPU: Gigabyte gtx 780 OC | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB @ 1866MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850 | SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7000rpm | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | MONITOR: Samsung S24D300 | KEYBOARD: CMStorm Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G500s | MOUSE#2: Logitech M500| HEADSET: Logitech G230 | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z313 2.1  | Phone: Galaxy Note II

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there

A xeon and a 7770? I would have gone with a cx and source 210

His current CPU sucks, the graphics card is okay. It isn't the best, but it gets the job done.

But then again, it isn't your rig, so you can pretty much fuck off. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I just found out something today. My friends system has an SSD. The only issue is that he didn't know what an SSD is until now, so he have EVERYTHING (OS, games etc) stored on his 2TB HDD, because the other drive is "small and bad". I doubt he even read the spec sheets when he bought this overpriced pre built PC...

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Well, I did upgrade over a year ago, needed a better GPU to actually let me do what I wanted, and the case was onsale for $25, the PSU was cheap and I know people who have had good experiences with it. When someone upgrades, it doesn't mean they'll basically rebuild a computer again.

Spoiler

Spoiler