Experiences with non-techies

These quotes belong here:

Humans are stupid, selish and horny. - Scott Adams

Humans are the souce of all unhappiness. - Wally from Dilbert

Also my sisters are bad with computers. Not spectacularly so, but if I flip the switch on my sister's PSU then she is absolutely dumbfounded and cannot fathom why it won't work or how to fix it even if I tell her. (Which I have a few dozen times)

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Impossible; they can generate infinite stupidity :P 

they can, at a slow pace.

:(

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 8/18/2016 at 9:18 PM, DeezNoNos said:

i want to see that happen LOLOL. IDIOTS. Any someone know the reason behind it explodes tho?

http://www.livescience.com/50643-watch-lithium-battery-explode.html

it's a really good read

------------------------------------- Break

my friend is a dumbass when it comes to tech, she asked me the fundamental way a PCB works (she's still in univeristy doing a report for English and she had to pick a topic of her choosing), i told her and this was the final product

____

my explanation

PCB is an acronym for printed circuit board. It is a board that has lines and pads that connect various points together.on it there are traces that electrically connect the various connectors and components to each other. A PCB allows signals and power to be routed between physical devices. Solder is the metal that makes the electrical connections between the surface of the PCB and the electronic components. Being metal, solder also serves as a strong mechanical adhesive.

______

her explanation (simplified)

it stands for printed circuit board, it's something that has lines that power conections and componets, it's filled with metal called solder, that holds the board together.

some of it is wrong but given her limited attention span, she probely can't do better than this

she failed enlish because the teacher she had was on Holiday and they got a substitute to fill in, he worked as a electrician before this and failed her because what she said was wrong

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I actually have a great story about this. So some background, I work with a couple of Psychologists. And I got a call to come in one day, as one of the Psychologists was having trouble with her computer.  After driving about 30 minutes to get there I walk into the room. The Doctor was giving a lecture to about 20 interns. and after walking over to the computer, I looked at it for about 3 seconds I bent over and turn the mouse 180 degrees. Her mouse was upside down. This is a lady that has a PHD from Harvard, I couldn't imagine any of her interns taking her seriously after that. 

2 minutes ago, jcarter1105 said:

I actually have a great story about this. So some background, I work with a couple of Psychologists. And I got a call to come in one day, as one of the Psychologists was having trouble with her computer.  After driving about 30 minutes to get there I walk into the room. The Doctor was giving a lecture to about 20 interns. and after walking over to the computer, I looked at it for about 3 seconds I bent over and turn the mouse 180 degrees. Her mouse was upside down. This is a lady that has a PHD from Harvard, I couldn't imagine any of her interns taking her seriously after that. 

I worked device support. I had a PHD call and couldn't figure out how to use a Nexus phone. It was like, I aint trusting you to operate on me. He was a medical doctor. I would not let him do any type of operating on me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

ho Boy more IT course stuff

[teach] DVD is 720p

[me] no its 480/576p (qouting Wikipedia) "720*567pal or 720*480 ntsc"

[teach] yea see? 720

[me] no that is not the one you use for res , you use the vertical one , 480/576 in this case , 1280*720 is 720p

(this went back and forth for 5 minutes)

pain... im in pain

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

[teach] DVD is 720p

[teach] yea see? 720

[me] no that is not the one you use for res , you use the vertical one , 480/576 in this case , 1280*720 is 720p

pain... im in pain

Did you or the teacher end up winning?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

[teach] DVD is 720p

[teach] yea see? 720

pain... im in pain

Does your teacher have a beef with you? or does you teacher have so much faith in their knowledge that they can't believe anybody else is correct?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

41 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Does your teacher have a beef with you? or does you teacher have so much faith in their knowledge that they can't believe anybody else is correct?

And how are they allowed to teach if they know so little themselves?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Does your teacher have a beef with you? 

nah im just a smartass who has like 12 years of pc bulding experience who also likes to learn alot and thus have a massive amount of useless knowlege 

(ie in class im the only one who actually knows tech , i think the teach does not like that ) 

he also wants to upgrade these machines (celeron G530,4gb ram , thats it) to windows 10 , i told him that be a bad idea (these mashines struggle in coreldraw) 

oh and also he only lets us use IE10/11 , but says w7 is outdated 

ಠ_ಠ

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

nah im just a smartass who has like 12 years of pc bulding experience who also likes to learn alot and thus have a massive amount of useless knowlege 

(ie in class im the only one who actually knows tech , i think the teach does not like that ) 

he also wants to upgrade these machines (celeron G530,4gb ram , thats it) to windows 10 , i told him that be a bad idea (these mashines struggle in coreldraw) 

ಠ_ಠ

*Tries so hard not to facepalm*

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

*Tries so hard not to facepalm*

wich point , w10 on trash hardware or IE10/11 

PSU Tier list

oh and also he only lets us use IE10/11 

( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)

keep-calm-and-burn-the-witch-11.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

oh and also he only lets us use IE10/11

Facebook-Internet-Explorer-too-slow-11d2

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

So, I have a friend that IS into PC's (all be it less than me) and he is pretty knowledge bout it.

Then I have my other friend. She is like "OH IF YOU HAVE A TERAHERTZ PROCESSOR UNICORE AND 512 MB OF RAM YOU CAN DEMOLISH ANY GAME" which is stupid. 

Then I have my other friend who thinks that you NEED to spend $2000 dollars to be able to play DOOM, GTA, or even Skyrim.........

17 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

So, I have a friend that IS into PC's (all be it less than me) and he is pretty knowledge bout it.

Then I have my other friend. She is like "OH IF YOU HAVE A TERAHERTZ PROCESSOR UNICORE AND 512 MB OF RAM YOU CAN DEMOLISH ANY GAME" which is stupid. 

Then I have my other friend who thinks that you NEED to spend $2000 dollars to be able to play DOOM, GTA, or even Skyrim.........

We all have 'em and we all hate 'em.

Maybe not hate.

Hate is a strong word

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

12 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

ಠ_ಠ

>12 years

>am 13

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

>12 years

>am 13

Yes we've all used operating systems that were around before you were :P 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes we've all used operating systems that were around before you were :P 

To think that I frequently used a Windows 3.1 desktop until 2003, until its 5.25" FDD started acting funny and I could no longer get ribbons for its printer (or foolscap paper either for that matter).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

We all have 'em and we all hate 'em.

Maybe not hate.

Hate is a strong word

Can I hate someone because he banned us from eating Nutella for a whole week?

5 minutes ago, Principis said:

Can I hate someone because he banned us from eating Nutella for a whole week?

yes , that is a felony

PSU Tier list

IE 11 is actually good. Having used Mozilla, Chrome and IE 11 they are pretty much all the same thing with small differences... I tested them in speed (100Mb/s internet so browser lag only) and it was in the margin of error for all of the tests. I use IE 11 becuase you have IE installed anyway, might as well use it and not have a second browser using disk space too.

With IE 11 I have no compatability issues. (In fact I found a game that does not work on Chrome but does on IE: Drunken Wrestlers)