Experiences with non-techies

22 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

correct , network is a network , internet is just a feature 

Exactly, took a while for my wife to understand the difference, she would tell me the internet is down and I would be like "wut?" ... Her laptop is connected through WiFi while my desktop is connected through Ethernet, so she would associate "WiFi down" with "internet down" ... between my ISP and my shitty DLink, I've had lots of network problems recently :( 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

34 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

correct , network is a network , internet is just a feature 

Thank you for clarifying that.

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Exactly, took a while for my wife to understand the difference, she would tell me the internet is down and I would be like "wut?" ... Her laptop is connected through WiFi while my desktop is connected through Ethernet, so she would associate "WiFi down" with "internet down" ... between my ISP and my shitty DLink, I've had lots of network problems recently :( 

That's annoying...  My iPad has been having issues on and off lately too.  Sometines it'll take forever to load web pages or won't load them at all.  Idk what the cause is. I've had to do a reset by holding the power + home buttons or simply closing the Safari app.  A few times I've tried clearing website data but that seemed to erase my open internet pages so I don't like doing that.

Have you considered getting new and better wifi router?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Have you considered getting new and better wifi router?

Yeah, I'm looking at replacements, my DLink router is slowly dying, it'll be on, WiFi will work, DHCP works too but none of the devices connected (wired or wireless) can connect to the Internet or see each other. Only solution is a off/on cycle, sometimes 2.

I'm looking to change ISP, so that implies changing everything since my current modem isn't compatible with FTTN fiber!

The fact this card is still being sold...

And the reviews :D  Some funny ones

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33912

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i can get 2 for 10€ here , i was tempted to get 4 of em :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Yeah that's a more reasonable price :D

Canada, eh?  Land of the $400 RX 480... :sobs:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

but they are useless , my sempron 2650 (the lowest end amd you can buy , a 15$ new chip , dual core . 1.5 ghz apu) has better graphics , by 50% (280 vs 180 pm scores)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's not much, but

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-480-ed-133915.htm

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131694

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

but they are useless , my sempron 2650 (the lowest end amd you can buy , a 15$ new chip , dual core . 1.5 ghz apu) has better graphics , by 50% (280 vs 180 pm scores)

yes, yes they are :P 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes, yes they are :P 

and the sempron has a lower TDP than the 210 , AND IT HAS A DUAL CORE CPU IN IT ASWELL AS BETTER GRAPHICS 25.gif

and it costs less .... 

i dont understand anymore , but i guess nvidia is selling old sillicon , i mean the GT line uses mostly the same stuff over the years 

the HD 5450 still exists aswell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PSU Tier list

43 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, I'm looking at replacements, my DLink router is slowly dying, it'll be on, WiFi will work, DHCP works too but none of the devices connected (wired or wireless) can connect to the Internet or see each other. Only solution is a off/on cycle, sometimes 2.

I'm looking to change ISP, so that implies changing everything since my current modem isn't compatible with FTTN fiber!

Idk what DHCP is...  ?

What's FTTN fiber?

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Dafuq?  lol

You can get a 700 series NIVIDIA card on Amazon for that much or less brand new.

Why these clowns are charging that much for a beyond obsolete GPU is disturbing to think about... ?

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Come to Wisconsin.  Our governor is satan but otherwise it's a fluffy nice place to live where shiny computer parts are more reasonably priced.  ? 

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk what DHCP is...  ?

What's FTTN fiber?

Double Hump Camel Pattern.  It refers to the CPU usage often seen on large servers, where there's a large amount in the morning and in the afternoon, and less during lunch and before/after work :D /s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

31 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

What would you do with 4 obsolete GPUs?

Integrated graphics on any Intel GPU in the handful of years is probably more powerful right?

22 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What would you do with 4 obsolete GPUs?

Integrated graphics on any Intel GPU in the handful of years is probably more powerful right?

good question...

and yes, I think so :P 

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

good question...

and yes, I think so :P 

would be fun to mess w/ gt210´s , voltmod and dryice anyone? :P 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

would be fun to mess w/ gt210´s , voltmod and dryice anyone? :P 

and 8 way SLI

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

and 8 way SLI

you can only SLI GT 545 and GT 555 Cards , those are the only GT Cards you can SLI in my experience

(outside the 6/7/8/9000 Cards)

edit , 5 Minute Research told me GT120 and GT 440 can also be sli´d

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

you can only SLI GT 545 and GT 555 Cards , those are the only GT Cards you can SLI in my experienc

(outside the 7/8/9000 Cards)

that's what they want you to think :P 

It could be a fun programming experiment... custom driver xD 

Well... "fun"... :D 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that's what they want you to think :P 

So we're in the matrix now? xD

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It could be a fun programming experiment... custom driver xD 

Fun for someone who programs drivers. Not fun for anybody else. :D

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

"program a custom driver"

putpixel(x, y)

takes 3 seconds to implement in C

oh my god i just implemented a C dri-

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

"program a custom driver"

putpixel(x, y)

takes 3 seconds to implement in C

oh my god i just implemented a C dri-

*flash followed by a faint rumble* 

PSU Tier list

A few pages back I mentioned how one of my friend has "negative deductive reasoning", and here is another example I forgot about;

Calls me because he's not getting any video output.

Goes on complaining about Windows and how he can't update drivers since he's not getting a video output.

After a few questions I realize he's not getting ANY video output.

So I point to the fact that Windows drivers had nothing to do with him not getting video out when in the BIOS ...

He didn't get it ...

I fixed it by telling him to reset the CMOS. Even after that he was still blaming Windows ...

*sigh*