Experiences with non-techies

Once again, not completely non-techie (reread what you type, people!) but still come on.

Capture.PNG

EDIT: This was for my health class.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

This guy has 50,000 subscribers? I can't even...

This guy is Arabic, and is 13+, yet uploads Paw Patrol portuguese videos.

dafuq

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On October 24, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)

keep-calm-and-burn-the-witch-11.png

On October 24, 2016 at 2:19 PM, BingoFishy said:

Facebook-Internet-Explorer-too-slow-11d2

Ummm..  Not to make myself the next dead "witch" but why does everyone hate internet explorer so much?  

I mean people seem seem to like chrome so much better despite it being famous form being a very bad RAM hog.  

I think Firefox does that too doesn't it?  But people think it's so great.  I've used it once or twice and it seems ok but no better than IE unless I'm missing something.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ummm..  Not to make myself the next dead "witch" but why does everyone hate internet explorer so much?  

I mean people seem seem to like chrome so much better despite it being famous form being a very bad RAM hog.  

I think Firefox does that too doesn't it?  But people think it's so great.  I've used it once or twice and it seems ok but no better than IE unless I'm missing something.

You're missing the constant crashes and security vulnerabilities in IE I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And frankly with 32 GB of RAM I don't give a **** how much Chrome needs :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm missing something.

Add-ons like ad-block, stop autoplay, shutdown Flash etc...

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, forgot about that, when I ask someone to restart their PC I always instruct them to do it through the menu, "because sometimes the buttons don't work correctly" (had too many instances of people turning their screen off/on).

One time the power and reset button didn't work on my secondary desktop.  But that was just because I'd connected the motherboard connectors wrong...  ?

Wait..  Does that count as an experience with a non-techie if the experience was with myself?  ?

2 hours ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Used to me as heck.

I thought computers had a OS drive. Like a filter or something.

I told my family that the Wifi card in my laptop was the CPU.

Thought CPU Ghz affected HDD speeds and told my brother that mine would transfer faster bc of it.

My brother thought the more cores you have, the more RAM you had. So if you had a quad core laptop with 4GB of ram, you would have 16GBs of ram. 

My grandma thought it took a while for an email to get delivered.

I thought 4k Builds costed $4000

I was lucky as HECK. I got my original PC build:

AMD 6350

MSI 970A-G43

8GB ram

750TI

Corsair 300R

CX430m

1TB HDD

It actually wasn't that bad. Guess where I got it from! PLANETMINECRAFT.com. I went to planetminecraft to put together a computer. I owe that man everything. 

My younger brother thought it was good that a $750 alienware was able to hold up 60fps while blowing up 20TNt and recording at the same time. LUCKILY He didn't purchase one.

One of the funniest experience with nontechie was this: Walmart was selling Alienwares that were no where near worth as much as they wanted. I was playing around with one of them when the worker guy came over and asked me if I would be excited to get one. I replied in a straight face, "no."

I almost convinced my grandma to get a mac on accident. 

I knew a girl that told me that she wanted a new computer. for $300. I tried my best to find the best possible computer for $300. It was crap, but I told her about it. Next week she told me that she asked her friends and parents and they ended up giving her $800! SO she bought an i5 Macbook air. I was so confused. 

Yuck!  For $800 you could build a respectable deaktop that could outclass pretty much ANY Mac.  Especially in terms of gaming performance.  

Today I got a question on my work, a customer had too high expenses on her phone for this month (talking about services), and after doing a factory reset they were still there, how is that possible? :|

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yuck!  For $800 you could build a respectable deaktop that could outclass pretty much ANY Mac.  Especially in terms of gaming performance.  

Yep, anything but the highest end desktop macs.

Specs:

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

A AMD 6300 is 75$ where you live? Do people still use Celerons for extensive gaming there?

What i mean is something like

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 5150 1.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($32.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ECS KAM1-I(1.0) Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.56 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Logisys 480W ATX Power Supply  ($12.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $115.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-25 16:07 EDT-0400

(115$ for a build which technically can run Crysis. Crysis's specifications are overrated, god you can run that thing with a 5150)

You're forgetting 3 rather important things at least:

-case

-HDD and/or SSD

-OS (And don't say that's only about $20.  Not for a 100% legal copy of Windows.)

and possibly might need:

-wifi card or PCIE adapter

-GPU (Idk exactly what Crysis wants but I highly doubt that any integrated graphics on a weak CPU will run it at decent settings.)

Sorry I don't mean to sound too harsh.  

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You're missing the constant crashes and security vulnerabilities in IE I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And frankly with 32 GB of RAM I don't give a **** how much Chrome needs :P

What crashes?  Aside from years ago when there was some major bug that MS had to release some hotfix thing to correct I've never had issues with IE crashing.

I've had issues with IE that I'm like 99% certain were caused by a crappy old wifi router, issues on our service provider's end of things, other crashes/issues with my computer.   But I'm fairly certain rarely if ever have I had a problem that I could for certain blame on IE.  That's my experience at least.

Also, those of us with 16GB like myself or other people with 8GB or 4GB might have a different opinion about Chrome and RAM.  ?

24 minutes ago, PLME888 said:

Add-ons like ad-block, stop autoplay, shutdown Flash etc...

Can't you get those for IE too?

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

price: $20

local used tech store has a wall of em , 40$ tags on em , didnt sell a single one in 5 years 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Also, those of us with 16GB like myself or other people with 8GB or 4GB might have a different opinion about Chrome and RAM.  ?

I mean, I've got 8GB of RAM and I've never had any issues with Chrome using up too much RAM even with more than 10 tabs open.

Specs:

Capture.PNG

And this is why you read what you type before you finish writing it.

Good job [my health teacher's name]

Specs:

22 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

I mean, I've got 8GB of RAM and I've never had any issues with Chrome using up too much RAM even with more than 10 tabs open.

Maybe what is being looked at affects how much RAM is used?  

Or some other reason idk.  But I assume the RAM hog reputation is because users with lower amounts of RAM like 4-8GB might notice Chrome was using too much to do other things at the time.  

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

Capture.PNG

And this is why you read what you type before you finish writing it.

Good job [my health teacher's name]

1. Yeah that's why proofreading is a thing.  lol

2. You posted this before I think?

Fucking Ltt didn't save my Fucking post with 7 quotes. Fucking hell

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

That download more ram post just reminded me of something that happened a week or two ago...

So we were at my school's engineering club, steam club, building club, whatever you want to call it. We're working on Arduinos, and there's this great tool called circuits.io (which you all should check out, btw) that lets you build and test a lot of stuff for Arduinos and other things too before actually physically building them. Naturally, we're all on our laptops, since we need to access the website. There's this one kid who, every single time, has just spent the 1 1/2-2 hrs we spend at the club playing video games. I'll just call him Bob (not really his name). There's this other kid there that also spends the whole time just watching e-sports videos, but he's not important. The reason they do this is since apparently their parents force them to come to the club, so they come and play/watch video games instead. Lol.

So I decide to pull a prank on Bob. This isn't the exact dialogue but it's pretty close and gives you the general idea of what happened:

Me: Hey, Bob, did you know that you can download more RAM onto your computer?

Bob: What?

Me: Yeah, you can download more RAM onto your computer to speed it up!

Bob: You're joking, aren't you...

Me: No! Just let me show you the website.

Bob: No, go on it on your computer first.

I go to downloadmoreram.com. It seems that's enough to convince him to go too.

Bob: This is so fake.

I had a feeling he might not fall for it at first, so I had something set up for him :D. To "prove" it was legit, I showed him on the Apple website that my Mac could only be shipped with 4 or 8gb of ram, but my Mac has 16gb! I must have downloaded the extra ram, right?

Basically, I got Bob to actually fall for it. He ended up going there and seriously thought he would download more ram onto his computer. When I revealed he was pranked, naturally he tried to say he knew all along, but it was pretty obvious I fooled him xD.

He's one of those guys that has ton of money. He has a MacBook Pro and iPhone, and recently was asking me about his new $2500 PC build he was gonna get. Yeah... And that's not to mention the $5000 build he said he was going to get last year. According to him, he traded that build with a friend for some expensive tickets to some game (I think it was basketball). According to him, he got the better end of the deal. I really don't know what happened... 

EDIT: For some reason whenever I have a small story to tell it ends up into a multi paragraph small story spread out into something huge xD 

Better be a 6s on 9.3.3..

6 hours ago, Pascal... said:

For example how Intelligent ( or smart ) I am for my age:   

So in my class I am simply calld " the Guy who knows every thing about Computer science " which is of course True but thats not the Point. So what I wanna say is that People ask me every Stupid thing that they otherwise can find out by there on. For example what People ask me all the Time is Like : How to Start this Computer... How do I safe this document.... Why do Notebooks need Power.. etc.. etc..            You se its some times hard to be a PC Entusiast.           And I am 14 so it even Starts there...

Me too.. But the basic white girl gene is slowly activating :( help

3 hours ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Used to me as heck.

I thought computers had a OS drive. Like a filter or something.

I told my family that the Wifi card in my laptop was the CPU.

Thought CPU Ghz affected HDD speeds and told my brother that mine would transfer faster bc of it.

My brother thought the more cores you have, the more RAM you had. So if you had a quad core laptop with 4GB of ram, you would have 16GBs of ram. 

My grandma thought it took a while for an email to get delivered.

I thought 4k Builds costed $4000

I was lucky as HECK. I got my original PC build:

AMD 6350

MSI 970A-G43

8GB ram

750TI

Corsair 300R

CX430m

1TB HDD

It actually wasn't that bad. Guess where I got it from! PLANETMINECRAFT.com. I went to planetminecraft to put together a computer. I owe that man everything. 

My younger brother thought it was good that a $750 alienware was able to hold up 60fps while blowing up 20TNt and recording at the same time. LUCKILY He didn't purchase one.

One of the funniest experience with nontechie was this: Walmart was selling Alienwares that were no where near worth as much as they wanted. I was playing around with one of them when the worker guy came over and asked me if I would be excited to get one. I replied in a straight face, "no."

I almost convinced my grandma to get a mac on accident. 

I knew a girl that told me that she wanted a new computer. for $300. I tried my best to find the best possible computer for $300. It was crap, but I told her about it. Next week she told me that she asked her friends and parents and they ended up giving her $800! SO she bought an i5 Macbook air. I was so confused. 

I browsed planet Minecraft for like maps a long time ago.. Haha I exploded 200k tnt on an i5 760 with Mc 1.1..

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok so people have no clue what so ever what PCs are worth, like NO IDEA WHAT SO EVER, so you end up with people over and under pricing there stuff to crazy levels and as someone that knows the used market pretty well right now i thought id wright down some examples:

"budget gaming PC"

so i have this PC i got a while back, its not super great but here are the specs:

I5 4460

16GB RAM

GTX 980

1TB HDD

120GB Samsung SSD

price: $300

thats way under priced and that add was up for less then two minutes before someone got it, i didnt have $300 at the time otherwise thats just crazy

"late 2013 Imac"

i have an Imac thats gotten old, its 27" and in great condition

3.5GHz I7

8GB RAM

GTX 780

1TB "fusion drive"

price: $1500

who buys a used Imac for $1500? its just crazy IMO

"64GB crusial DDR4"

i bought some ram for my computer but it turns out it dosent fit so im selling it off

price: $1500

i am not even kidding about that price tag. its insanity. its gone down after 3 months of not getting sold to $500 tho which is more resonable but still some pricy AF RAM lol

"flat screen monitor"

i have some monitors i dont need

resolution is 1280x1024 and one is 19" and one 21"

price: $20

that price may not sound strange but those monitors are garbage, and REALLY not worth $20 oh also thats $20 EACH, $40 for 2 shitty 4:3 10 year old monitors....

thats all i could find and remember for now, also just saying the word SSD in your PC add jacks the price up another $100 or so usiually lol

GTX 970 $450

3 hours ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I spent 2 hours to help a friend run photoshop. (can't exactly say it was legal). After the 2-3 hours, I don't remember how long, I thought to myself, "why don't I just search up the error code?". It turned out, all I had to do was run it as Admin. We laughed so hard because of all the time we had wasted over it.

Also

People who think Intel is better than AMD. Believe it or not, there isn't a HUGE difference in a 4460 and a AMD 6300! People are seriously brainwashed. You can go on websites that show realistic comparisons of an i5 and a 6300 and the comments are always: "Its fake! AMd sucxxxx!" "Intel could easily beat thatt..sss!" "can't trust anyone1

!!!!!"

so freaking annoying.

So there's an amd FANBOY on the apple Discord 

For €300 she's gonna upgrade Her 6100 to an 83something and doesn't want to get Intel 

Why? Because Fuck intel

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

People that say their CPU reaches up to 13C.

While their ambient temperature is 28C.

It's just so LEGIT!

60c Idles 100c loads help

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

$1500 CAD

Dual core mac 

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You're forgetting 3 rather important things at least:

-case

-HDD and/or SSD

-OS (And don't say that's only about $20.  Not for a 100% legal copy of Windows.)

and possibly might need:

-wifi card or PCIE adapter

-GPU (Idk exactly what Crysis wants but I highly doubt that any integrated graphics on a weak CPU will run it at decent settings.)

Sorry I don't mean to sound too harsh.  

No case Jump the motherboard.

Find a used one for free or cheap.

Linux 

Ethernet 

Why a pcie adapter?

Igpu

32 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

12gb of ram usage, 47 tabs or so

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Better be a 6s on 9.3.3..

Me too.. But the basic white girl gene is slowly activating :( help

I browsed planet Minecraft for like maps a long time ago.. Haha I exploded 200k tnt on an i5 760 with Mc 1.1..

GTX 970 $450

So there's an amd FANBOY on the apple Discord 

For €300 she's gonna upgrade Her 6100 to an 83something and doesn't want to get Intel 

Why? Because Fuck intel

60c Idles 100c loads help

$1500 CAD

Dual core mac 

No case Jump the motherboard.

Find a used one for free or cheap.

Linux 

Ethernet 

Why a pcie adapter?

Igpu

12gb of ram usage, 47 tabs or so

Skyrim and Fallout 4 - 8GB of RAM usage because Windows 10 decides that it wants to use more RAM than Windows 7, while managing it more poorly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Pascal... said:

How do I safe this document.

Teach me please.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

Better be a 6s on 9.3.3...

I'm pretty sure it's a 6 :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Browser security is a nonissue for me. I just don't visit or download shady stuff. (Except for mp3s from a site called lookingforlyrics, it sometimes gives me .exes but IE 11 tells me "Do you want to download blabla.file?" And you can see if it's .exe or .mp3 but only if you disabled hiding extensiond for file types.

13 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

Browser security is a nonissue for me. I just don't visit or download shady stuff. (Except for mp3s from a site called lookingforlyrics, it sometimes gives me .exes but IE 11 tells me "Do you want to download blabla.file?" And you can see if it's .exe or .mp3 but only if you disabled hiding extensiond for file types.

As BingoFishy once said:

The best protection against malware is YOU!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb