LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Mystery Goo!

(bad KSP reference)

Glad you didn't grammar nazi that. I typed it right, went to edit, and somehow murdered that sentence like we've been murdering WUs!

Freaking F to C conversion, messing up my ability to type!

Also, LMFAO!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Putting Foldy Puff Sr to sleep in a couple hours to lap the CPU heat sink base for better IHS contact tomorrow, then I hope to have it up and running with OC Vega 56 and a stock 2700X at reasonable temps. We'll see...

Foldy Puff Jr will continue folding the whole time as long as it's getting WU's down and up.

Good luck with the lapping! I've thought of doing it to this CPU once I get my hands on a Ryzen based system just to see if I can get the thing up to 5GHz or higher. Would try it now but... I don't think I want to blow up my only working computer

Can I get some Fs in the chat... gtx 660 just blew up. Like sparks and the magic smoke.  RIPIP valiant knight. 2012-2020

20200322_003153.jpg

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

29 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Mystery Goo!

(bad KSP reference)

Just don't it escape into the water!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hello ALL

I have been a VIP member of another computer forum for over 12 years now, but unfortunately the community is very inactive these days. I have enjoyed watching LTT on youtube for many years now, so it made sense for me to come here to get my fix. My joining was hastened by last Fridays WAN show and my wish to help the LTT F@H team, I should be all signed up now and I've already started folding.

I have a few questions,

Is there a F@H benchmark which I can use to calculate my performance per watt, if not does F@H scale similarly to graphics benchmarks?

I have some old mining equipment, is F@H able to run over pciex1 risers?

Is F@H able to run on a IGP in an APU, and is it worth doing?

I have a HTPC that gets used for only a few hours a day (Ryzen 1200/ rx460), is it worth having this machine folding in the background while we are watching tv?

Thanks 👍

19 minutes ago, RankUpGamers said:

Can I get some Fs in the chat... gtx 660 just blew up. Like sparks and the magic smoke.  RIPIP valiant knight. 2012-2020

20200322_003153.jpg

At least you got 8 Years of valiant use out of the ole chap. 

F

Third update where we outperform PCMR! By a decent margin as well

image.thumb.png.727f06f97ccee593a01e710d60317008.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

And we beat them for the day too!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Does anyone know how to abandon a WU? My cpu isn't getting more WU because of the p[ending WU trying to be sent, the WU is 11758.

51 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I ran it for a while on the graphics side of the AMD 2400G APU.  It worked quite well, especially for the lack of wattage I had going through the system, though of course not the same kind of sheer numbers as the folks here on RTX cards.

16 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

And we beat them for the day too!

I bet we stay that way until this is all over.

I will not be taking F@H off of my computers when this is all done. Might turn them down a little though.

34 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I ran it for a while on the graphics side of the AMD 2400G APU.  It worked quite well, especially for the lack of wattage I had going through the system, though of course not the same kind of sheer numbers as the folks here on RTX cards.

I have the same cpu in another htpc and a file server, every little helps I guess.

48 minutes ago, Running Raptors said:

Does anyone know how to abandon a WU? My cpu isn't getting more WU because of the p[ending WU trying to be sent, the WU is 11758.

Have you tried pausing it and restarting?

Have you tried switching internet connections? Hook your phone up to computer with its charging cable and enable usb tethering on your phone. Note: This wont work with stock iPhone (unless they've changed this in the past however many years. I think I was on iOS 4.x.x when I ditched the platform for Android.) This does consume mobile data, though I suspect you will unplug your phone shortly after it's done sending the WU.

If neither of these work, pause all running WUs and end the F@H process in task manager. Then restart your F@H client.

NOTE: Doing these things re-pings the collection server in an attempt to connect. Please do not do these back to back as it can further slow down there systems. They've been having issues with bandwidth and server load due to the sheer amount of requests coming in to their servers.

If nothing else works, let me know. It's better to try these things first before killing the WU.

Edit: Also, patience helps as well. You should be able to work on a WU on the same slot that is trying to send as long as there are WUs available to grab off of there server at the time of uploading to the Collection server.

Finally registered to the forum for this.

First post and first time folding.

Super tired right now, been up all night. It's alright to run this on more than one computer right? Can't find any info on that.

Running 2 right now

Edit: 3

6 minutes ago, blodchoklad said:

Finally registered to the forum for this.

First post and first time folding.

Super tired right now, been up all night. It's alright to run this on more than one computer right? Can't find any info on that.

Running 2 right now

Edit: 3

welcome!

yes, running more than 1 pc is fine and mo powa mo betta!

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

New to folding I have 2 soon to be 3 computers running 

personal pc: ryzen 3 1200 rx 570

older laptop: Radeon HD 6250 ( unsure of cpu)

sibling’s laptop: (unsure of hardware at the moment)

I am happy to be contributing to this folding project.

2 hours ago, RankUpGamers said:

*Image removed due to length of post* 

Yo! Try to fix it! It might be worth a shot, there is a redditor who had a 660 fail around the same area! Those are ceramic capacitors, measure it (the ones directly next to it which are probably the same) with a multimeter and then simply replace it! 

Just have a look once you desolder the broken one, if the pcb was damaged beyond repair (broken traces or else can be a lot of work if you dont exactly know how to solder)

Yesterday sure was a slow day... Only managed to get around 500k points, and a large part of that was from one 200k WU 😩 Hopefully today will be better!

BTW. Is there a way to see how many points each slot has produced in total? I am kind of curious to see how much my little 2400G Unraid server has produced so far.

@RankUpGamers: F. Poor little GPU. Night gathers, and now your watch begins...

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, ShortRouter said:

Well 128.252.203.2 server won't accept finished WU. 11 attemps already.

You're not the only one having these problems. Myself and several other people I've spoken to have had issues with the server in the past 24 hours or so.

I've added this to the list of Known Issues up the top in the notice.

Failure to upload completed WU 14533 or failing to receive credit. Work server 128.252.203.2 is currently down. Read more...

It appears that the 128.252.203.2 server started having issues yesterday some time. I was able to upload work units successfully to the server, however I was not being credited the points for the work units (rip 250k pts)

Sometime overnight (my time) the server went down completely and stopped accepting uploads. Looking at the F@H Server Status page it looks like it's trying to come back online, but it almost instantly goes down a few seconds later.

It appears from the project list that project 14533 is the only work unit connected to the 128.252.203.2 server, so it should be the only work unit affected by this, however if anyone else has any other work units that fail to upload to the 128.252.203.2 server please let me know!

I've made a post here with more info after I first noticed I wasn't being credited for the 14533 work units uploaded to that server.

5 hours ago, Favebook said:

We just got a shout-out from UFD Tech. Even tho they promoted their own team, they talked about our event and our AMAZING thread!

Our part is somewhere around 7th min.

Awesome! And it's a pretty simple and easy guide too!

If anyone here is folding for the UFDTech team then welcome! We're happy to help troubleshoot any issues you have and offer advice! :D

I think his goal of getting the UFD Tech team in to the top 100 teams is a little ambitious. They're currently ranked 3778th for teams overall. Teams need 3.2 Billion points to make it in to the top 100 teams. UFD Tech just needs about 3.195 Billion more points. Best of luck though!

2 hours ago, Shlouski said:

Hello ALL

I have been a VIP member of another computer forum for over 12 years now, but unfortunately the community is very inactive these days. I have enjoyed watching LTT on youtube for many years now, so it made sense for me to come here to get my fix. My joining was hastened by last Fridays WAN show and my wish to help the LTT F@H team, I should be all signed up now and I've already started folding.

I have a few questions,

Is there a F@H benchmark which I can use to calculate my performance per watt, if not does F@H scale similarly to graphics benchmarks?

I have a HTPC that gets used for only a few hours a day (Ryzen 1200/ rx460), is it worth having this machine folding in the background while we are watching tv?

Thanks 👍

When you run F@H it will give you an estimated PPD. Take that, divide by how much power your system uses in a day and it will give you a rough idea of performance/watt.

There's also a few guides and charts already made that show graphics card performance figures.

This has a bunch of cards including older stuff.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

@Gorgon has a good post with some PPD/W and PPD/$ charts for Pascal and Turing GPUs.

Unlike mining, Folding at home won't run well over PCIe x1. Not enough bandwidth to feed the card. PCIe 3.0 x8 lanes is recommended.

F@H won't run on intel iGPUs, but I believe it is possible to use it on AMD Vega 8/11 GPUs in the Ryzen 2200G/2400G/etc. Not sure how productive it is.

The system might get a little loud if it's folding while you're trying to watch TV. An RX460 according to the overclock.net chart linked to earlier will earn around 90K PPD. A Ryzen 1200 maybe 20-30k. Keep in mind you should leave 1 core available for the GPU, so you'd be folding on only 3 cores/threads.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

BTW. Is there a way to see how many points each slot has produced in total? I am kind of curious to see how much my little 2400G Unraid server has produced so far.

Unfortunately not. F@H just tracks the points for the user, not individual slots/hardware.

If you look at the estimated PPD it should give you a rough idea of how much it is producing each day.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Unfortunately not. F@H just tracks the points for the user, not individual slots/hardware.

If you look at the estimated PPD it should give you a rough idea of how much it is producing each day.

Ah, to bad... Could be interesting to log, with these spotty WU-distribution thats going on...

Maybe individual slot/PC logging will be added in a later update. I mean F@H is made by data scientist, and they really really like  to hoard different data.

2 hours ago, RankUpGamers said:

That seems to be a capacitor, if nothing else is wrong the card it should work again if you simply remove the capacitor. They may crack of age, thermal or mechanical stress and then become a short circuit.

2 hours ago, Shlouski said:

Hello ALL

I have a few questions,

Thanks 👍

Not sure personally.

I don't think FAH needs lots of bandwidth, but what GPU's do you have? You can try , and see if you get the PPD that is expected for your cards. Assuming you possibly jumped on some GTX 1070's when mining was "the cool thing to do", a 1070 should get about 600-700k PPD, so you can see if you are getting that, and if so, should be fine!

"Worth doing" is sorta up to you. As long as you finish the WU's in the time allotted, your helping the cause.

"Worth" folding on your HTPC, is again, up to you. I am currently running both my rigs (8700k @ 5 GHz/RTX 2080 and a 6700k @4.4 and a GTX 1080) at full bore 24/7 besides when I am using them to play games on, which is maybe 2-3 hours a day tops. But I personally chose to not team viewer in to my family's computers at my parents and install it on their machines even though I could.... It just wasn't "worth" it to me. Not because the cause isn't worth it, but the only machine that would do much is my brothers 2600k, and dealing with some of the admin-ing of it would be a bit of a pain. To counter that, I am trying to spread the word to as many folks as I can to get more gaming PC's dedicated to the cause.

So far, I have brought 7 or 8 other folks with actual GPU horsepower into the fold! If everyone can bring a handful of people in, we would be over a million strong in a matter of days! FAH currently has ~450k users, up from 30k a few weeks ago...

*EDIT* didn't see this info from @Spotty, I guess the x1 slot will not work so well:

Unlike mining, Folding at home won't run well over PCIe x1. Not enough bandwidth to feed the card. PCIe 3.0 x8 lanes is recommended.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air