LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Core 2 Duo T7250 is on it. You're welcome

Is that with or without a folding passkey?

Only 17 WU's yesterday ... today since now is even worse ... its nice that we have the power combindes of Top 7 Supercomputer but we have nothing to calculate 🙂

7 minutes ago, Flatronic said:

Only 17 WU's yesterday ... today since now is even worse ... its nice that we have the power combindes of Top 7 Supercomputer but we have nothing to calculate 🙂

Yea, same here. Having to pause then fold just to get more WUs, though there is one guy flying up the leader board so may be they are getting all the WUs :( 24 avg = 11 mil points :o would love to know what they are running :D 

My Ryzen 1200 and rx460 get WU's, but my server with 3700x, 5700xt and rx470 gets no action 😢

mine is just sitting doing nothing tbh. ryzen 3600 and 5700 xt. not receiving any new packages

4 hours ago, Spotty said:
15 hours ago, ShortRouter said:

Well 128.252.203.2 server won't accept finished WU. 11 attemps already.

You're not the only one having these problems. Myself and several other people I've spoken to have had issues with the server in the past 24 hours or so.

It finally uploaded with success today morning. Albeit I only got half of the points I would normally get for the task.

7 minutes ago, zorkol said:

mine is just sitting doing nothing tbh. ryzen 3600 and 5700 xt. not receiving any new packages

AMD card users seem to get more idle, could have something to do with poor OpenCL driver implemetation and obv. no support for CUDA on AMD cards.

Great job everyone, lets keep this up and help these researchers find more possible treatments for this ailment. Is anyone proficient with setting up FAH on a headless ubuntu server? I tried and its giving me all kinds of heck. I at least got it on my old gaming rig running full time and my current rig running when im idle. Anywho, thank you all again! This is an amazing community that when put to a task can demolish it with zealous efficiency lol.

Current System:

Asus TUF B365; Intel Core i7 9700F;32GB DDR4 2666 (2x8GB); Nvidia Geforce RTX3060ti;WD SN750NVME 2TB

my system seems only to be gpu work while 2700x sat there idle any help would  be greatful 

2020-03-22.png

44 minutes ago, Flatronic said:

Oh don't worry we have much more than that. The top 7 combined is the power that was simultaniously used. Once FAH servers are up to the task, we will crack 1 ExaFLOPS and write history.

8 minutes ago, kingbob666 said:

my system seems only to be gpu work while 2700x sat there idle any help would  be greatful 

Most likely waiting for a work unit. Lots of people have had issues getting assigned CPU work units in the last few days.

If you open the Advanced Control by right clicking the F@H icon in the tray icons and selecting Advanced Control it will give you a bit more information. Click on the CPU slot and check the "Selected Work Unit" panel on the right side.

What does it say for
Waiting On
Attempts
Next Attempt

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Most likely waiting for a work unit. Lots of people have had issues getting assigned CPU work units in the last few days.

If you open the Advanced Control by right clicking the F@H icon in the tray icons and selecting Advanced Control it will give you a bit more information. Click on the CPU slot and check the "Selected Work Unit" panel on the right side.

What does it say for
Waiting On
Attempts
Next Attempt

by the looks of it its having trouble getting work

2020-03-22_(1).png

2 minutes ago, kingbob666 said:

2020-03-22_(1).png

You should have another window when selecting a unit : 

image.thumb.png.4e89b34072334f8bb64bd4f607abd525.png

The F@H servers are so overwhelmed right now that I'm about to complete my second WU and the first one still hasn't been uploaded to the server yet lol.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

7 minutes ago, kingbob666 said:

The panel you need is hidden. Grab the little dots on the edge and drag it in to the middle and it'll show the Selected Work Unit panel. That'll have some extra information on it.

image.png.663b321e897909df3f9d2e724c58bb9f.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The panel you need is hidden. Grab the little dots on the edge and drag it in to the middle and it'll show the Selected Work Unit panel. That'll have some extra information on it.

image.png.663b321e897909df3f9d2e724c58bb9f.png

i have done it keeps timing out as one of the posters said there servers are very busy

13 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

True I should be more specific. I’m thinking more of like an i5 9600 paired with a GTX 1060 which to me is like an “average” PC since it’s not on the super high end or super low end but an in the middle computer.

I can help.

i5 8400

GTX 1660S

Pretty average build, estimated 600-700k, actual about 500k or less atm, CPU getting stuff all.

Folding.png

Regarding very high electricity costs in some countries, folding in the cloud may be a viable alternative, more so for those planning to build dedicated folding rigs in the near future which involves spending a lot of money on hardware. Just sent out this email to a hosting company offering dedicated GPU servers, will report on the response when I have it.

To whom it may concern

I am writing to enquire about a discount possibility for your GPU servers and/or your active participation in the folding@home fight against the coronavirus. We at team LTT and many other teams across the world are donating our hardware resources and electricity to help simulate the COVID proteine folding and thus help fight the COVID decease in a timely manner. The "Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for simulating protein dynamics, including the process of protein folding and the movements of proteins implicated in a variety of diseases. It brings together citizen scientists who volunteer to run simulations of protein dynamics on their personal computers. Insights from this data are helping scientists to better understand biology, and providing new opportunities for developing therapeutics." (https://foldingathome.org/about/). The project has seen immense growth due to media attention, NVIDIA, Intel, GitHub, MSI, Aorus and many more being partners. Team LTT is participating with currently over 10 000 active users and some of us are interested in folding in the cloud due to high electricity costs at their location when 24/7 folding at home.

Even better would be if you donate unused resources directly via deploying the official F@H client on the machines like other software and datacenter companies have done. If that is too much to ask, a discount code for a GTX 10 series/ RTX 20 series (preferrably) GPU server would help, I will make sure to share it in the LTT forum which could attract potential customers for your business.

Personally, I layed my eyes on your GTX 1080 Ti server for a 1 year period.

Additional resources you may find helpful:

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/crowdsourced-supercomputing-project-sets-sights-on-coronavirus/

NVIDIA tweet:  https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1238496311776653312?s=20

LTT Folding information and community Q&A boards: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1164541-ltt-folding-teams-emergency-response-to-covid-19/

Yours sincerely

[REDACTED]

LTT community member

On 3/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, yaboistar said:

Let’s go crash FAH’s work servers again!

And we've done it...

12 hours ago, elfensky said:

Why? It's a positive community effort, would be cool to have a (custom) badge to remember it by...

The FAH servers have crashed again! No WU are being downloaded :) :) 🙂 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Still out performing PCMR

image.thumb.png.4550667c38cee30e59ba98373fc9ba49.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240