LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Tetsurou said:

Ah, an inaccurate number of users and just ascribing the remainder of the points generated to Team 0 just to have a place to put them.

Pretty much

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hello guys, new here on the forum, but I've known LTT for a long time now.

First, I just wanted to say how amazed I am that there are still people in this world like you, who are passionate about science and don't bother giving some of your spare time and few cents on electricity for the best of humankind. This passion fills me with joy in these dark times.

I have a few questions to ask. First, on the web control page it say "These are high-priority **CPU** projects". Does it mean there are no GPU tasks for COVID-19 research and it is preferred to run CPU ones?

Secondly, how can I be sure if I am contributing to COVID-19 related tasks and not other? The only option available is "Any disease". (Don't get me wrong, I'm keen on supporting all research fighting against those horrible diseases, but right now I kinda prefer to focus on the SARS-CoV-2 research). I tried searching the project ID on the web, but the only page I could find is this webpage that apparently indicates all current tasks, but doesn't provide any description whatsoever on what is the related virus/disease.

One more question: I am full power now, and my Ryzen 5 3600 is standing at a toasty 94 °C with 100% load, and I'm a little bit concerned about it. I tried setting it on "medium power", but nothing changed, remaining at full load and same temperature. Is there a way to limit CPU cores and usage like with the BOINC client?

Thanks in advance.

Keep up the great work guys. Let's smash those F@h server with all the computing power we have!

So I'm averaging about 100-120 entries per hour validating them and we have over 3500... this is going to take a while...

Also due to the number of people who have entered the sheet twice or done it wrong I now need to validate the whole thing rather than starting off from where I left it... not fun.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Newish to fah, i have done it a long time ago but switched to boinc, i'm having troubles getting wus is this just because it is overloaded atm? seems like i got one last night but that was it.

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So I'm averaging about 100-120 entries per hour validating them and we have over 3500... this is going to take a while...

Also due to the number of people who have entered the sheet twice or done it wrong I now need to validate the whole thing rather than starting off from where I left it... not fun.

OOOOOOOOOOOF, You had made it through so many of them as well.

I think I pulled a dumb the other day when I had my GT 1030 in my system. Thing wasn't clocking like it should, and I think the reason is I'm a dummy. I didn't even try putting the card under load to see how it reacts to it, I just assumed something was wrong with PCIE power in that slot or something.

Here in a few I'm gonna try the 2nd GPU again and see if I can get it chugging

5 hours ago, SpicyMustard said:

But why is it a cube? Almost five GPU WUs look like cubes while the CPU WUs look like actual proteins.

If you zoom in that "cube", you will probably find a hell of a lot of proteins moving around.

2 hours ago, ShortRouter said:

Regarding very high electricity costs in some countries, folding in the cloud may be a viable alternative, more so for those planning to build dedicated folding rigs in the near future which involves spending a lot of money on hardware. Just sent out this email to a hosting company offering dedicated GPU servers, will report on the response when I have it.

You should check this out too:

Also, on the other note, you (@ShortRouter) and @LordKitsune should both request a badge, since you are eligible for at least first one.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

If you zoom in that "cube", you will probably find a hell of a lot of proteins moving around.

You should check this out too:

Also, on the other note, you (@ShortRouter) and @LordKitsune should both request a badge, since you are eligible for at least first one.

I'm gonna request once I hit 1mil. No point in doing it now when I only have 1 or 2 GPU WUs left :D (about 5 hours if I get another GPU WU instantly)

7 minutes ago, vivident said:

Hello guys, new here on the forum, but I've known LTT for a long time now.

First, I just wanted to say how amazed I am that there are still people in this world like you, who are passionate about science and don't bother giving some of your spare time and few cents on electricity for the best of humankind. This passion fills me with joy in these dark times.

I have a few questions to ask. First, on the web control page it say "These are high-priority **CPU** projects". Does it mean there are no GPU tasks for COVID-19 research and it is preferred to run CPU ones?

Secondly, how can I be sure if I am contributing to COVID-19 related tasks and not other? The only option available is "Any disease". (Don't get me wrong, I'm keen on supporting all research fighting against those horrible diseases, but right now I kinda prefer to focus on the SARS-CoV-2 research). I tried searching the project ID on the web, but the only page I could find is this webpage that apparently indicates all current tasks, but doesn't provide any description whatsoever on what is the related virus/disease.

One more question: I am full power now, and my Ryzen 5 3600 is standing at a toasty 94 °C with 100% load, and I'm a little bit concerned about it. I tried setting it on "medium power", but nothing changed, remaining at full load and same temperature. Is there a way to limit CPU cores and usage like with the BOINC client?

Thanks in advance.

Keep up the great work guys. Let's smash those F@h server with all the computing power we have!

for processors  which has 6/12 like ryzen 2600/2600x/3600/3600x, there is no difference from full and medium power settings if you fold with GPU too. it happens because engine can't use 11 treads and always change settings from 11 to 10. so for you its better to make custom slot with less threads number.

you can see project description when you are folding in web control.

15 minutes ago, Favebook said:

I see that the cube structure sprouts out wtih some complex protein, but the actual cube itself doesn't have as much molecular variation, I was concerned whether I was generating malformed data because of the lack of variation in shape (I know, this kind of sounds stupid but judging by other posts, it may not be malformed data, but instead how it just looks)

Either ways, I like pretty shapes

Hey all just joining the team now.  I started folding last weekend when there was a story about the need for SARS-Cov-2 processing time.  I used to fold some way back in the day on my Pentium 4, but never really kept going because running the computer 24/7 was noisy 15 years ago and it would keep me awake at night because it was also in my bedroom.  

My computer is not as cutting edge as it was in my college days.  Just an old 4770K and a 1060GTX, but I hope to make up for lack of power by running it full blast 24/7 (hooray for having a bedroom that my computer isn't in).  

Pff, almost 12 hours with no WUs. And not been able to uppload one too... Hope they can get some new servers up soon!

Ok maybe i just needed to restart everything, got wu for both cup and gpu. My old 2700k is cranking at 4.4 on air may have to invest in a aio as its running a toasty 97 degrees. 1070 is doing ok at 70 degrees. thank you all for your effort and time

Just now, 42thgamer said:

Pff, almost 12 hours with no WUs. And not been able to uppload one too... Hope they can get some new servers up soon!

strange, even few days before i din't have to wait so long for WU. now its really easy to get one

Yeah, when I was doing this 15 years ago I was never wanting for WUs.  It's awesome for the causes that we keep running the well dry. 

Does anyone getting new WU assigned?

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

23 minutes ago, efka112 said:

for processors  which has 6/12 like ryzen 2600/2600x/3600/3600x, there is no difference from full and medium power settings if you fold with GPU too. it happens because engine can't use 11 treads and always change settings from 11 to 10. so for you its better to make custom slot with less threads number.

you can see project description when you are folding in web control.

Thanks, solved the temperature problem by allocating 6 threads. Now at 80 °C, way better.

Also, just checked the project description. Didn't notice that!

Just now, abrackers said:

Folding.PNG.49892fca31354adaa309133ae3dedb6b.PNG

Yay my 1st million

Congrats.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

now we have so much compute power that all projects will move forwards a lot

WOO!!!!

I'm folding on all 7 slots!!!

image.png.32c4a1833cd854850aac01fea47e3398.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Xsilent(X) said:

Does anyone getting new WU assigned?

Yeah. Today has been a decent amount compared to the last few days.

Updated my drivers for the Geforce Game ready ones, and able to play the new Doom at Ultra-Nightmare settings at 3440x1440 60fps while folding as well.

Happy days for the lazy Sunday.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

WOO!!!!

I'm folding on all 7 slots!!!

image.png.32c4a1833cd854850aac01fea47e3398.png

Wow! may I ask what are in those slots?

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Wow! may I ask what are in those slots?

5960X, 1700, GTX 980, 1080 x2, RTX 2060, 2070

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

5960X, 1700, GTX 980, 1080 x2, RTX 2060, 2070

Woow! That's a lot! Keep it up!