Rocket League dropping support for MacOS and Linux. Refunds offered...kind of

Arika

Starting March 2020, Rocket League developer Psyonix will be dropping support for MacOS and Linux intending to only focus on development for Windows, per a recent announcement on their Steam Page.

As we continue to upgrade Rocket League with new technologies, it is no longer viable for us to maintain support for the macOS and Linux (SteamOS) platforms. As a result, the final patch for the macOS and Linux versions of the game will be in March. This update will disable online functionality (such as in-game purchases) for players on macOS and Linux, but offline features including Local Matches, and splitscreen play will still be accessible.

If you purchased Rocket League for Mac or Linux on Steam, the game will still work with full functionality when installed and played on a computer running Windows 7 or newer.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/252950/announcements/detail/1709614218556357755

so unless you want to play offline against bots or locally with friends, you're shit out of luck unless you move to windows.

But hey, at least they are offering refunds, right?

Refunds for macOS and Linux (SteamOS)

If you have played Rocket League on macOS or Linux you can request a refund through Steam. A refund is available even if you have owned the game for more than 2 weeks or played longer than 2 hours.

Well, yes, but actually no and this is where they are going to land themselves in very hot water

they are offering refunds for the BASE Game only, any microtransactions are not being refunded

Post image

The claim for the dropped support is that they are moving to DX11, the current compatibility with MacOS and Linux is relies on DX9.

They are saying you can try to run it on Linux through Proton or Wine and Mac through bootcamp

Players on Mac can try running Rocket League on Windows with Apple's Boot Camp tool. Boot Camp is not something Psyonix officially supports.

If you play Rocket League on Linux, you can try Steam's Proton app or Wine. These tools are not officially supported by Psyonix

But since we've also seen anti-cheat software ban people for using Proton, i don't know how keen people will be to attempt it.

This is where we run into the catch 22 of Linux gaming. Developers don't want to support it because there's not enough players (Pysonix are claiming 0.3% of players are on linux) and Players wont move to Linux until more games are supported.

Personally i think if you're not going to support a platform any longer, and you're offering refunds. refund the entire package, to draw the line at the base game will not leave fans with a warm fuzzy feeling towards you.

https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042201433

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's fine.  Linus wasn't very good at the game anyway.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Well Linus was thinking about retiring. Guess this will throw him over the edge.

57 minutes ago, nick name said:

It's fine.  Linus wasn't very good at the game anyway.  

55 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Well Linus was thinking about retiring. Guess this will throw him over the edge.

i dont think i've ever typed linux or linus the right way first time. :/

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Oh.  If it's Linux then I have no interest in this story.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Do people even play rocket league?  Iirc it was an attempt at an esports title but wasn’t picked up by esports or something.  Got a feeling the windows version isn’t far behind.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

When I started watching his videos I honestly though it was linux tech tips, in my defense the first few videos I watched were him explaining linux

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I wonder if there are enough Linux players to formally cause a legal complaint in those countries where consumer law is supportive?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean there is this thing called Proton...

And there is this thing called anti-cheat blocking users of Proton from playing... 

So it might be a good idea to unban Proton users. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

It's okay, we knew what you meant. We just had to poke fun. But now we both look like assholes since you changed it P:

Pshh. At least we can get a refund. Cements my hate of Epic Store just a little bit more.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

Gaming didn't used to be so hard. It amazes me each day how complicated the industry has made it for me to care. Feel bad for those who've invested a ton a time in a game they can no longer completely enjoy. That's how it goes though.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Update on refunds for macOS and Linux through Steam: 

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

18 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Because your "superior" OS is used by such a tiny percentage of the players that supporting it isn't worth the trouble ;)

Quantity =\= quality

7 minutes ago, IdlePX said:

Update on refunds for macOS and Linux through Steam: 

Tl;Dr they were using a dx9 to opengl translation layer

Just now, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Quantity =\= quality

When it comes to software support and development, if most of your users are running DOS on a toaster then that's what you support.

Doesn't matter how "superior" another OS is, if your users don't use it then supporting it is costly and possibly making a loss.

10 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

When it comes to software support and development, if most of your users are running DOS on a toaster then that's what you support.

Doesn't matter how "superior" another OS is, if your users don't use it then supporting it is costly and possibly making a loss.

Yeah but how is software compatibility related to the quality of the kernel or the architecture?

That was the point there, even if it could run better on older hardware if the game was running on Vulkan than DX11 or anything else that doesn't matter if it doesn't give money return in this case

It just perfectly makes sense even if it's sad that's how it is 

2 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Yeah but how is software compatibility related to the quality of the kernel or the architecture?

That was the point there, even if it could run better on older hardware if the game was running on Vulkan than DX11 or anything else that doesn't matter if it doesn't give cash

It just perfectly makes sense even if it's sad that's how it is 

I think you missed the point a bit....

5 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I think you missed the point a bit....

Mind to show it? 

1 minute ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Mind to show it? 

jagdtigger said "Why would we want to use an inferior OS" when it was mentioned that the alternative is to use Windows for the game.

I said that it doesnt matter how superior Linux is, if no-one plays it then it isn't worth supporting.

By the way, Linux is a better OS is many respects, but is of no use to me so I use Windows.

9 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

jagdtigger said "Why would we want to use an inferior OS" when it was mentioned that the alternative is to use Windows for the game.

I said that it doesnt matter how superior Linux is, if no-one plays it then it isn't worth supporting.

By the way, Linux is a better OS is many respects, but is of no use to me so I use Windows.

I use Windows too at my home just because I just want to play games when I'm not at work. (At work I'm full Linux)

I will consider switching at home until Proton becomes able to support EAC, and I think this is the case

Isn't this game EAC? Then it doesn't have support with wine, but only with native Linux and MacOS versions

Anyway considering a translation layer from DX11 to Vulkan or OGL isn't a big deal in 2020, they don't have to rewrite code that much

I think there are still valve toolkits around here to make the transition relatively painless.

It's even possible to embeed DXVK without using wine for native steam games, so they would only need to add the native Linux EAC 

I've played Rocket League on Linux before and always thought it felt like shit anyways, so this news really isn't that shocking. The refund issues are what I'd expect from Epic Games, so again, not shocking. Overall I think this is good news for Rocket League players if they can actually make switching to DX11 worth it. A fresh coat of pain on this game could be neat.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD