Red Dead Redemption 2 PC benchmarks- move over Crysis ; UPDATED

Humbug
51 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

TLDR: DX12 is bad for this game, you should be playing it on Vulkan. 

Some people seem to be having better luck on DX12 and some on Vulkan with this game. Not sure why. Best to try it yourself on your individual rig and see which is smoother.

2 hours ago, Tedny said:

so, it's like GTA5, again 

GTA5? Don't you mean GTA4? Because GTA5 is much better optimized than RDR2. This is GTA4 all over again.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Update - 6/11/2019

Guru3d has posted their recommended settings in order to optimize performance with minimal visual loss. Most settings changed to high, texture quality maintained at Ultra, graphics API changed to Vulkan.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=557

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Switch it to Vulkan and you will see a good uptick in FPS since it supports both DX12 and Vulkan. Slides provided, only show Direct X. Here are some screenshots from the Gamers Nexus video: In the 1080p slide, there are some DX12 entries notated with [DX12] prior to the card name. 

TLDR: DX12 is bad for this game, you should be playing it on Vulkan. 

1080p:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.38420b27e8bf0c025fd47c15d55be9ba.png

So 980 Ti is on par with 390x. I replaced my 290x for 980 Ti 4 years ago just to get similar performance 4 years later. rip maxwell 

jk

I don't know why Pascal perform like shit though, i can imagine "gimping" threads growing like mushrooms in reddit already. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Lmao gained an awesome 2fps on my 1080 ti after the updated tweaks. Well I guess it's something. 

Pascal performance is probably garbage because, tinfoil hat, Nvidia realizes current pascal owners are cannablizing sales of the new stuff cause there just isn't a big enough increase in performance. In most titles at 1440p the 2080 is roughly within a couple fps of the 1080 ti. Now it's suddenly 20fps better in this game? My metal hat says purposefully shit optimization for pascal in the driver to make RTX cards more appealing to current pascal owners. 

Seems like Zero Optimization for Pascal compared to Turing.
Feels that way... until the next driver maybe they pushed Turing first as priority and silently the Pascals get faster on our next driver update...
Here's to hoping so...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I don't know why Pascal perform like shit though, i can imagine "gimping" threads growing like mushrooms in reddit already. 

Ya, even in the guru3d comments under this article there are lots of people accusing nvidia of gimping. I think many people don't understand that what is going on is not active gimping, it is just that the nvidia software engineers who have limited time are spending their manhours trying to make Turing as fast as possible in the latest AAA games.

Older generations don't get the same attention because they are not trying to convince people to buy them anymore, that doesn't mean they are gimped or intentionally slowed down- just less optimized.

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Ya, even in the guru3d comments under this article there are lots of people accusing nvidia of gimping. I think many people don't understand that what is going on is not active gimping, it is just that the nvidia software engineers who have limited time are spending their manhours trying to make Turing as fast as possible in the latest AAA games.

From what i noticed since Pascal, usually Maxwell performance will come back up in the next couple of driver releases. So i reckon Pascal performance will increase in next 1 or 2 driver release. Not sure if Maxwell will any performance increase though, probably not since it's not made for DX12/Vulkan. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

21 hours ago, Levent said:

I havent checked RDR2 PC release but I wonder if there is a significant visual upgrade over XOX or PS4P? otherwise this screams like a shitty console port.

I originally played it on PS4 Pro and have also played on the ONE X, the game on PC looks much better, especially textures, lighting, and, draw distance. You can definitely see all the improvements when playing. Other things were reworked as well, when in first person the character movement is smooth and flawless, console RDR2 first person was almost as bad as GTA V's just clunky and tons of input lag. On the PC version it's smooth as butter like playing a game made in first person, it was definitely reworked specifically for PC. Playing on a 1440p 144hz monitor and getting 80ish fps on ultra/high settings is pretty nice too. It's literally the second day of launch there will be some optimization patches coming shortly. Also use Vulkan if you plan on playing.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I am confused as to why a GTX 1070 would be struggling... The difference between a GTX 1070 and a RTX 2070 isn't that huge. Why the gap?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

What I find most interesting here is how much better the 5700 XT scales vs the 2080.  The 2080 is winning at 1080, but the 5700XT is winning by a decent margin at 4k.  So much so that the 5700 (non XT) is actually even with the 2070 Super at 4k in Vulcan and beating the 2070 Super in DX.

That's impressive since they've also moved away from HBM with the navi cards, so it isn't just a memory bandwidth advantage making higher resolutions work faster.

This game's optimization is not even close to how bad GTA4 was, it's just that it is extremely demanding and probably made for next-gen hardware in 2020.

It squeezes my RTX 2070 and R7 2700X to its very limit (GPU always 90 ~ 99% usage, CPU 40 to 50%), high setting in 1080p with AA turns off. None of any game in my Steam library can do that

Just because you can't push the sliders all the way to the right and not getting 60fps doesn't necessarily mean the port is bad, tweak your setting to get the best result. This game looks absolute gorgeous on a PC

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

1 hour ago, TigerHawk said:

Lmao gained an awesome 2fps on my 1080 ti after the updated tweaks. Well I guess it's something. 

Pascal performance is probably garbage because, tinfoil hat, Nvidia realizes current pascal owners are cannablizing sales of the new stuff cause there just isn't a big enough increase in performance. In most titles at 1440p the 2080 is roughly within a couple fps of the 1080 ti. Now it's suddenly 20fps better in this game? My metal hat says purposefully shit optimization for pascal in the driver to make RTX cards more appealing to current pascal owners. 

Honestly it's probably just better suited for Turing. I mean if you look at some games like wolfenstein they have a big gap between Pascal and Turing because I believe better asynchronous compute. This might be a similar case and it also would help explain why AMD cards tend to fair a bit better than Pascal as well. 

5 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

This game's optimization is not even close to how bad GTA4 was, it's just that it is extremely demanding and probably made for next-gen hardware in 2020.

It squeezes my RTX 2070 and R7 2700X to its very limit (GPU always 90 ~ 99% usage, CPU 40 to 50%), high setting in 1080p with AA turns off. None of any game in my Steam library can do that

Just because you can't push the sliders all the way to the right and not getting 60fps doesn't necessarily mean the port is bad, tweak your setting to get the best result. This game looks absolute gorgeous on a PC

Yeah I agree. Why limit the maximum visual settings just to make people feel good about their hardware being able to play it at ultra? Better to just make the game as beautiful as possible and let people adjust settings as required to run well on their hardware. I mean it will mean that in the future when there is better hardware on the market then people can enjoy those better visuals. 

8 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Looking at the internet I'm far from alone, that really really sucks. Friend of mine can't play it either. I hope they get their shit together real fast

I’ll wait for BF to see if I can save a few bucks. Hopefully they’ll have the game in order by then.

Theres a lot of people in here who need to learn the difference between a game being demanding and a game being unoptimised.

This is very much the former. Turn it down to high with no bells & whistles and it runs butter smooth and still looks better than PS4 Pro (and yes, I do have it on PS4 Pro and have done comparisons) and it runs very well on some pretty low end hardware as well.

They made ultra be ultra and everyone complains, welcome to the internet.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly it's probably just better suited for Turing. I mean if you look at some games like wolfenstein they have a big gap between Pascal and Turing because I believe better asynchronous compute. This might be a similar case and it also would help explain why AMD cards tend to fair a bit better than Pascal as well. 

I was thinking of building a little steam box for my living room and eyeing up the 5700XT, personally. It looks like a solid little performer if you get the right AIB model. Thinking the Sapphire or STRIX model.

I kinda want to wait for the 5800 or 5900 series first, though, but I dunno if there is an ETA on those....

But again in every other title the 5700XT is roughly the same performance as the 1080 Ti and in this game it leaps ahead just like the 2080, which lends credence to the poor optimization by nvidia for pascal tinfoil hat theory otherwise it would be right up there with them, no? Looking at techpowerup's GPU charts for raw performance numbers on OEM GPUs shows the 1080 ti has very slightly better performance for FP16, 32, and 64, as well as more memory bandwidth. I would have a hard time believing that at a hardware level it is optimized THAT much better to see a ~30% performance increase in this one specific title lol?

22 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Theres a lot of people in here who need to learn the difference between a game being demanding and a game being unoptimised.

This is very much the former. Turn it down to high with no bells & whistles and it runs butter smooth and still looks better than PS4 Pro (and yes, I do have it on PS4 Pro and have done comparisons) and it runs very well on some pretty low end hardware as well.

They made ultra be ultra and everyone complains, welcome to the internet.

The real question is how much more "ultra" is it? Does it justify the performance penalty?

On 11/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, Humbug said:

[...]We  are used to thinking about the GTX 1060 and RX 570 as 1080p 60fps ultra GPUs. Well not in this title.[...]

Are we?  Those are mid tier cards from a generation ago.  They're good, but I never would have expected Ultra from them in a brand new AAA.  More like High settings in games that came out when they were still new.  And the 1060 is closer to a 580, not a 570, so mentioning them together like that doesn't really make sense imo

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So my RX 580 is still relevant after all! I was worried that I might have to get a RX 5700 to play this game. Those cards aren’t cheap. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Think I'm only going to buy rockstar games on console from now on.... 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

So wtf is this? My 1080Ti is a piece of garbage shit now? Wow R*, you are as worst as Bugisoft.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

59 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

So wtf is this? My 1080Ti is a piece of garbage shit now? Wow R*, you are as worst as Bugisoft.

Your 1080Ti isn't any worse, they just made the game for hardware that is better.  Hate to break it to you, but that's tech.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

3 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

Your 1080Ti isn't any worse, they just made the game for hardware that is better.  Hate to break it to you, but that's tech.

In other words, terrible optimization because R* didn't bother to make the game run decently on anything older than Turing based cards.

IMO not worth getting this game for PC, guess i'll wait for a sale or stick to console for Rockstar games.

Calm down guys it's literally the second day the games been out, they have already pushed out 2 game and 2 launcher updates today, they're working as hard and fast as possible to get the game running smoothly for everyone. They can't test everyone's system before they release the game, they have some build combos they test it out on before release but it's not as intensive or the same drivers and programs, everyone's system is different, within the next couple weeks they'll have it sorted out and I'm sure running much more optimized.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |