Intel wants reviewers to benchmark using windows media player instead of cinebench for low end mobile

spartaman64

I'm actually surprised intel didn't advocate 720p gaming benchmarks cause "that's what cs players want"

Fairness, North Korea style!

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

You know what, I love the internet because Intel can no longer play dirty like they did in the Pentium4 era where the internet was not common. So they could manipulate the benchmarks and people believed that when they were in the stores. It's very good we got Der8auer, LTT and many more Youtuber journalists.

And to the subject of the topic, the first thing when I read the article: "Intel, are you trying to manipulate again?" This won't work. When I have to upgrade my CPU, it will be definitely AMD. Seriously, fuck Intel and they shady tactics.

And also Chrome??? LMFAO what the actual fuck??? That shit makes the map of GTAV disappear when I open Chrome. Firefox FTW!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

The point is that sometimes those conclusions are drawn using workloads that the end user won't so the end conclusion if not properly qualified will be pointless. 

Some reviews are more than 50% production/tool workload based and if the conclusions and recommendations don't properly explain that (which many don't) then the only way to work out how good the CPU is for your specific task is to go through the whole review and work out which bits are irrelevant. 

It's just that you cannot throw "normal" use workloads at modern desktop CPUs and expect to get any kind of trustful or useful results without going synthetic. Even the mid-tier i5s and Ryzen 5s eat Chrome and Office for breakfast and the top-tier laughs at them and at that point it's just completely waste of time to test anything like that because the reason why Chrome opened that 0.0001 seconds slower with CPU Y compared to CPU X is more likely to be caused by Windows having a hiccup or even a bit being in a different place in the RAM than did you spend more on the CPU. Not to even talk about testing some most played games, currently I would remember CSGO runs with i9-9900K+RTX 2080 Ti in some +600FPS ranges when it's not restricted, at that point even the HDMI/DVI/DP-link connection starts to affect the results, not to even talk about how long distance there's between the CPU and GPU on the motherboard, that 3mm difference might be 2-3FPS less because latency (not to even mention some games that have shown that i7-7700K is still the king of the CPUs because for some magical reason they attain higher FPS with it (and that is called optimization)).

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I like to get from stand still to the speed limit rather quickly all the time ?. Not in a dangerous way but the woosh is fun sooo.... WOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.

It's fun especially if the car is geared well enough to break traction from a stop, not something I do anyway cuz its extra wear and tear. But off the line acceleration is something most people don't care about and isn't much fun in most cars with autos or crap CVT's.

21 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It's fun especially if the car is geared well enough to break traction from a stop, not something I do anyway cuz its extra wear and tear. But off the line acceleration is something most people don't care about and isn't much fun in most cars with autos or crap CVT's.

I leave my TC and ESC on always, not looking to buy a new car ?. But with that all on 0-60 in 5.3. Not looking to tear through BS RE050A's quickly either, too expensive.

In fairness to Intel, if someone could figure out an even remotely consistent office suite test that was more than opening the programs, I and a lot of other productivity focused individuals would love to see those done and it would actually be an influence in our buying decisions (because you haven't been living if your excel isnt on the verge of crashing every day at work due to being stuck with shitty hardware).

And yes, solution is partially "don't use excel", but python matlab (both of which I also use) whatever live filtering is much faster with pivot tables, even if less robust.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Is it just me or is cinebench actually one of the most fair tests out there?? You’re just rendering a picture...

Different types of code will behave differently, and be influenced by the rest of the system differently. Cinebench R15 has a characteristic of scaling near perfectly with cores, has a high benefit from HT/SMT, and is minimally affected by ram performance. Haven't got to know R20 as well yet, but it seems pretty similar. It is near enough the ideal case to show off peak CPU performance. 

9 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Have people seriously forgotten that Cinebench is the benchmark for the Maxon Cinema software? Like it's actually a benchmark for a real world 3d rendering software...

That how many people actually use? If you're in that niche, great. If you're not, how much value does it really provide you?

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They also miss that R20 shifted to a lot more AVX2 workload, which improve Intel vs AMD in Intel's favor. At least until Zen2 launched. 

That doesn't really change the number of people who actually use the product though.

I run Cinebench as much as the next person on the forums. As said, it is useful as an indication of peak scaling potential, but it certainly wont be representative of software that is more demanding of resources. I'd like to see it kept in reviews, but its importance shouldn't be over-stated.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 hours ago, For Science! said:

I'm more concerned about the 0.22% running cinema4D on their tablets.....

I'm pretty sure they only do it for science.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

But really, do you really need a 9900K to run a... BROWSER?

Nope, definitely nope ?

25 minutes ago, porina said:

Different types of code will behave differently, and be influenced by the rest of the system differently. Cinebench R15 has a characteristic of scaling near perfectly with cores, has a high benefit from HT/SMT, and is minimally affected by ram performance. Haven't got to know R20 as well yet, but it seems pretty similar. It is near enough the ideal case to show off peak CPU performance. 

That how many people actually use? If you're in that niche, great. If you're not, how much value does it really provide you?

That doesn't really change the number of people who actually use the product though.

I run Cinebench as much as the next person on the forums. As said, it is useful as an indication of peak scaling potential, but it certainly wont be representative of software that is more demanding of resources. I'd like to see it kept in reviews, but its importance shouldn't be over-stated.

The data was from 15w laptops and tablet form factors. Once 7nm Zen2 APUs are out, I expect all of those programs to be in AMD's favor.

Cinebench is relative to a huge chunk of professional workloads, so it works very well, as a benchmark, for testing. 

18 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Cinebench is relative to a huge chunk of professional workloads, so it works very well, as a benchmark, for testing. 

It isn't an area I've looked into closely, but what would be a "professional workload"? I don't recall any reputable reviewer saying words to the effect "It runs Cinebench great, so it'll also do well in other professional workloads". They would generally test different workloads, and relative performance can and does vary depending on the specific software used. I'll take Cinebench scores, but I also keep in mind it is the best case scaling of any benchmark that is commonly run.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

It isn't an area I've looked into closely, but what would be a "professional workload"? I don't recall any reputable reviewer saying words to the effect "It runs Cinebench great, so it'll also do well in other professional workloads". They would generally test different workloads, and relative performance can and does vary depending on the specific software used. I'll take Cinebench scores, but I also keep in mind it is the best case scaling of any benchmark that is commonly run.

Blender, Handbrake, C-Ray, modeling programs and most of the editing programs. R20, especially, is a good combined workload that threads well. It also lets you "sanity check' results pretty well. It's very useful benchmark to have publicly available in general, but Cinema 4D is a program that's used professionally.

If you want deeper, individual program benchmarks, hit up Puget Systems. They've got a lot of them.

31 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Once 7nm Zen2 APUs are out, I expect all of those programs to be in AMD's favor.

WinRAR probably won't be, but that's because WinRAR is either a poor program or poor compression algorithm. Has anyone done RAR (de)compression tests in 7Zip to find out?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I leave my TC and ESC on always, not looking to buy a new car ?. But with that all on 0-60 in 5.3. Not looking to tear through BS RE050A's quickly either, too expensive.

What car are you driving?

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

Kinda silly on Intels part. Do they watch the reviews? Yes there is usually a segment with Cinebench since it can be used as a standard baseline where its more of a level playing field. But alot of reviews then show in game benchmarks. This usually has Intel in the lead since they have higher clock speeds on single threads and have drivers for each game. This can heavily skew data just having game benchmarks since when a reviewer looks at the CPU it could be using prerelease drivers which could have a negative impact on performance. 

Its silly of Intel to ask reviewers to change what they are doing since its the consumer who likes to see cinebench scores. instead of fighting against what their consumers are doing why not work with them? Its about time that Intel had to actually work for their position as the "Top gaming cpu's".

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Blender, Handbrake, C-Ray, modeling programs and most of the editing programs. R20, especially, is a good combined workload that threads well. It also lets you "sanity check' results pretty well. It's very useful benchmark to have publicly available in general, but Cinema 4D is a program that's used professionally.

Thanks for the clarification.

When people are buying a system for specific task(s), for sure it'll make sense to get something with good performance on that, but it becomes more of a narrow focus than the broader landscape.

30 minutes ago, porina said:

Thanks for the clarification.

When people are buying a system for specific task(s), for sure it'll make sense to get something with good performance on that, but it becomes more of a narrow focus than the broader landscape.

Intel were talking about HEDT, though. If those aren't the broad landscape for 12+ cores, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, porina said:

this is the main problem here people keep forgetting

isa, ipc, frequency, memory, cores, compilers etc all play roles

so many variables that these synthetic benchmarks are nice to get an ideal and sterile but no way real

pcs are multitasking machines and in no way anyone simply runs these alone with everything else closed, which I think reviewers should include multitasking bench scenarios with real life uses for few similar products

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Intel were talking about HEDT, though. If those aren't the broad landscape for 12+ cores, I don't know what is.

OP says "notebook and 2-in-1 devices"

18 minutes ago, porina said:

Exactly, I wonder how high Steam and LoL are amongst x299 and TR4 users xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

35 minutes ago, porina said:

That's what Intel are basing their review "suggestion" for HEDT parts on.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

That's what Intel are basing their review "suggestion" for HEDT parts on.

Nah, intel are using data collected on portable devices to show how the average DESKTOP user uses their PC.

That's disingenuous at best and flat out misleading and misrepresentation at worst.

It's like BMW collecting speed data from the M5 then releasing a marketing slide saying "all our cars can do 180mph" with an annotation saying "data collected from the M5 only".

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)