Intel wants reviewers to benchmark using windows media player instead of cinebench for low end mobile

spartaman64
11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Not sure what you are trying to say, you highlighted the issue that explains all the misunderstanding yet you want to continue as if it isn't real. 

I think the problem here is everyone is getting way too specific and particular.  You know marketing is always going to be loose, that doesn't mean the odd ultra-book they claim can do light video processing undermines their claims that 99% of mobile users don't do any video work. Nor does it change the fact that cinebench gets used too much on devices that users clearly have no intention of using.

What issue? Everyone has replied "oh, yes, that intel slide", but not actually said what about it. XD

How is Cinebench a problem for Intel?

Is there any other metric they suggest should be used?

Is this mentioned in either the original slide, or the replies after?

I don't see how Media player is going to be a metric. I do know some sites *do* benchmark Excel. But does Excel really scale differently to Cinebench?

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It also doesn't mean Cinebench has no value though. Synthetic benchmarks give users a number they can look at to indicate how the device is going perform and that's valuable, especially to people who don't follow tech and don't know what to expect from a Core I5 6547864SFTR (because that's how confusing Intel's naming convention has got).

Intel is trying to push away from Cinebench because AMD is starting to win, they didn't care about it for the last 10 years while they were winning.

i agree but naming isnt anything different then the past really

its still almost linear in a way

but i think us consumers should be asking for more crippling benches knowing the limits notebook or desktop

multitasking limits

streaming limits

not their functional edit:half assed limits

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, out of everything that's what really pissed me off. Turns out it was a misunderstanding which is probably the best possible outcome.

Well, still Intel kind of unleashed Der8auer on themselves with that when they decided to release the slides without adjusting them to context :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Well, still Intel kind of unleashed Der8auer on themselves with that when they decided to release the slides without adjusting them to context :D

i'm lost on this

small print was always there

Just now, pas008 said:

i agree but naming isnt anything different then the past really

its still almost linear in a way

but i think us consumers should be asking for more crippling benches knowing the limits notebook or desktop

multitasking limits

streaming limits

not their functional limits

You're thinking like an enthusiast and like it or not, were the minority. Ignoring servers and workstations, OEMs make up the majority of Intel's CPU sales.

When the majority of your customers are going to buy a device to use Office and play LOL there's no real need for them to know the limits of their devices because those types of users will rarely reach those limits.

There's plenty of "power user" type reviewers on the net and YouTube providing those types of benchmarks for us enthusiasts types.

As a corporation you gotta cater to the masses.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Knowing Roman I fully expect him to release a follow up video explaining his error and more than likely apologising to Intel for the misunderstanding.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Knowing Roman I fully expect him to release a follow up video explaining his error and more than likely apologising to Intel for the misunderstanding.

To be fair, I don't think he has to apologize that hard for that. Even Shrout admitted that it was his ommision when releasing the slides so if there was any confusion then it definitely wasn't all Roman's fault.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, Lathlaer said:

To be fair, I don't think he has to apologize that hard for that. Even Shrout admitted that it was his ommision when releasing the slides so if there was any confusion then it definitely wasn't all Roman's fault.

Agreed but Roman is a very straight up guy (as are most Germans) and if he made a mistake he'll make sure to correct it.

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You're thinking like an enthusiast and like it or not, were the minority. Ignoring servers and workstations, OEMs make up the majority of Intel's CPU sales.

When the majority of your customers are going to buy a device to use Office and play LOL there's no real need for them to know the limits of their devices because those types of users will rarely reach those limits.

There's plenty of "power user" type reviewers on the net and YouTube providing those types of benchmarks for us enthusiasts types.

we are a minority but lenovo and dell label it same but easier 123z vs 124z models only change is cpu

not understanding this at all plz give examples

edit

even on notebooks i'd like examples

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

i'm lost on this

Small print only says how many systems were tested and that they were mobile. This without the voiced over context from the presentation gave wrong impression that Intel is tailoring what "real world performance" for desktops means even though these are different categories of devices. 

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

we are a minority but lenovo and dell label it same but easier 123z vs 124z models only change is cpu

I'm talking about volume of sale.

This is speculative but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Dell buy more CPUs from Intel in 6 months than every retail shop in the US sells in a year, and Dell is one OEM out of many around the world.

The people who are building their own PCs are by far the minority compared to the people buying systems from OEMs.

Small print only says how many systems were tested and that they were mobile. This without the voiced over context from the presentation gave wrong impression that Intel is tailoring what "real world performance" for desktops means even though these are different categories of devices. 

q3 19, 10million systems all notebook and 2 in 1's

Yes and?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is speculative but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Dell buy more CPUs from Intel in 6 months than every retail shop in the US sells in a year, and Dell is one OEM out of many around the world.

The people who are building their own PCs are by far the minority compared to the people buying systems from OEMs.

but you adding other variables into the mix see below

edit above lol

small print has it printed

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Yes and?

thats huge for testing or anything fuck do you realize this might be a admission of privacy

which is why i brought up the point of how they are accumulating this data

thats huge for testing

But you quoted me and this isn't anywhere near the thing I was discussing. I was talking about misleading slides that have no transistion from talking about desktop to talking about mobile which required verbal presentation.

Even with the clarification, the slid s are shitty and can easily deceive. Imo intel needs to start acting like a big boy and stop being an angry middle schooler on its marketing

But you quoted me and this isn't anywhere near the thing I was discussing. I was talking about misleading slides that have no transistion from talking about desktop to talking about mobile which required verbal presentation.

Phew, it's not just me then LOL

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Even with the clarification, the slid s are shitty and can easily deceive. Imo intel needs to start acting like a big boy and stop being an angry middle schooler on its marketing

Yep, like I said earlier, Cinebench was fine for the period they were winning, now they're losing all of a sudden it's not representative of real world performance?

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, like I said earlier, Cinebench was fine for the period they were winning, now they're losing all of a sudden it's not representative of real world performance?

giphy.gif

Exactly. The clarification should never have been needed had intel been mature and simply admitted that a price drop is needed. Instead, they're screaming at reviewers to test with Word and WMP. Intel need a better business strategist and marketing lead since such laughable scenarios as the slides and the 9900 Keep Sheeping should never exist.

29 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

26 minutes ago, pas008 said:

i'm lost on this

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

19 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Agreed but Roman is a very straight up guy (as are most Germans) and if he made a mistake he'll make sure to correct it.

16 minutes ago, pas008 said:

edit

even on notebooks i'd like examples

14 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

9 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Yes and?

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

but you adding other variables into the mix see below

edit above lol

small print has it printed

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

thats huge for testing or anything fuck do you realize this might be a admission of privacy

4 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Phew, it's not just me then LOL

what am i missing

i see the small print

small print says notebook and 2 in 1

what am i missing?

what am i missing

i see the small print

small print says notebook and 2 in 1

what am i missing?

You're missing the bigger picture. A billion dollar company is acting like an angry toddler.

what am i missing?

The previous slide was about desktop CPU's. The next one is about real world usage statistics with small print that it was taken from mobile devices. Without any kind of transition between those slides it looks like Intel is dishonestly trying to show real world usage of desktops using mobile data so people got confused and angry.

48 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I would say that's actually highly under what Dell would be buying. If we even just stick to desktop processors not laptop etc (also not server), I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 100:1 than 10:1 all US retail shops.

Could be completely wrong but based on what I know about how many computers companies have and how often they get replaced Dell should be having tens to hundreds of thousands of purchase orders for multiple thousand computers on the go every month consistently throughout the year.

And before posting I'll check my assumption with some data *looking up information*.

Dell Technologies’ personal computer shipments in the second quarter of 2019 amounted to 10.65 million units, out of a worldwide total of just above 57 million units. Dell is the number three PC vendor in the world, behind HP Inc. and Lenovo. 

Going to assume that includes laptops.

10.65 * 4 = 42.6 million per year (assumption of each quarter being equal which is wrong).

Units per month: 3.55 million

Units per week: 887.5 thousand

Units per day: 126,785.7

Latest firm figure I can find Intel sells 400 million CPUs per year, all SKUs.

Edit:

In the second quarter of 2018, 17.3 million personal computers were shipped within the United States.

52 minutes ago, pas008 said:

where are you getting them passing laptop data as desktop clearly they have 2 different slides for 2 different markets

like i said i believe you linked an article back in the day, but could have read it elsewhere on intel focusing more on notebook and server platform because of ryzen for time being but different ceo etc etc etc

and i hope amd does pin them against the wall, means you and i  get the better deal if we are in the market

and for the intel haters they arent going anywhere, too much money and too fricken good at what they do

but i do think ht and ime exposure needs to hit them in the jaw

z370 system connected to internet before windows install it was like my phone

do i have a problem with it no

but what other info is passed  on that?

info is info

like i said few times now i'd love for a few multitasking benches

I'm going by what is mentioned here and the Der8auer video,Intel used a slide with mobile laptop data without any clear indication it wasn't taken from desktops, unless someone is really paying attention to the fine print then it could be very misleading. I'm not biased and want to see companies treated equally, Intel needs a good kicking and while I see the point of suggesting reviewers using more realistic benchmarks I like to see as many tests as possible of whatever can push the CPU hard.