Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

On 10/22/2020 at 7:23 PM, Chronified said:

Suggestion for a TQ video: 

Is Antivirus software really necessary in 2020?

Unless you live on Starbucks Wifi using Windows 7 without security patches, there's no real reason to have AV software like AVG and Malwarebites. Only 24/7 AV coverage you need in 2020 is for live downloads of sketchy files. If you're not downloading sketchy files, you don't need 24/7 AV. Period. Tools like ADW can check one-time for viruses and don't require a full install. 

Yea techs don't really need av as much, however regualr users...

If you worked in IT you still get about 1-5% of staff opening stupid attachements.

Suggested video: Can be a tech quickie

Have each staff member show off a personal peice of tech that they own and are personally enthustiastic about.

Learning about some of the non-pc related tech that each member likes would be interesting, and can open up new venues of videos based on what people comment they liked.

Ie: Keyboards, cars maybe even something crazy like a kitchen scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. What is Object storage (and S3 api), how does it compare to file storage?
  2. Iaas, PaaS, SaaS, DaaS (VDIs, thin clients)
  3. What is Git, and how is it used by online (remote) Git repository hosts? Maybe add in DevOps workflows?
  4. Directory Services (such as MS Active Directory, FreeIPA), what they're used for, and how they can be used by other services with LDAP.
  5. What are shells (DOS, Powershell, sh, bash, zsh etc)
  6. Reverse Proxies and load balancing
  7. Representational state transfer (REST) and HTTP methods 
  8. What are Ansible, Chef, Salt, Puppet, Terraform and how do they differ?
  9. Databases (Flat vs Relational, SQL, NoSQL, Distributed databases)
  10. Who is the Apache Foundation and what do they do? (HTTP server, Hadoop, Tomcat, Kafka, Cassandra etc)

On 9/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, mikeike951 said:

A lot of people have wondered about how much VRAM you need with the 3080 having 10 Gb and Big Navi rumored to have 16 Gb. Especially for 4K and VR where I assume the textures need higher VRAM. This could potentially be a LTT video given the hype of the new graphics cards, but I could also see this as a Tech Quickie as well.

In addition to this I'd very much like a video looking into vRAM usage and how to measure it properly. Until recently most of the tools we have measure vRAM allocated to the game but they don't measure how much of what is allocated is actually in use (which is what matters!)

Now the new MSI Afterburner beta can measure this, the download and instructions to do it are here https://www.resetera.com/threads/msi-afterburner-can-now-display-per-process-vram.291986/

You want to look at "GPU Dedicated Memory Usage \ Process", add that to the OSD and do some testing along side the normal vRAM measure and you'll notice there's really big differences in some cases, that what is allocated is normally a gross over estimation, and this has been throwing off our expectations of vRAM for many years.

On 4/25/2013 at 9:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Hello,

I would like to see a video addressing the Intel / AMD CPU/GPU stock reality because when I look online at black Friday flyers in Canada and US most of what is advertised is INTEL systems . Is AMD stock vapor ware, NVIDIA GPU ?

How can amd's stock be worth 2x intel when sellers have almost all intel systems for sale at retail, is the DYI crowd that big ?

• 2 weeks later...

Techquickie "Where are they now?" Episode: DFI (Diamond Flower International). Never heard of them until someone else older than me mentioned it earlier today...

Just randomly remembered this subreddit post I made that I thought I had deleted with a idea that I ironically wrote just like a LTT/Techquickie episode.

https://imgur.com/a/nFuv87U

So I always thought the way it worked was it doesn't matter what ram you buy, just as long as you get enough at the right speeds, the amount you want, you just stick it in your PC and you're good to go.

Boy was I wrong.

I'd never built a true highend PC with current parts till now (still havent yet but I had to do some part picking over the last 2 days and found out a lot of things I didn't know).

Turns out there's a thing called a QVL, or Qualified Vendors List. What is the Qualified Vendors List you may ask? Well simply put it's a list of hardware that's been verified by the manufacturer (RAM and MOBO's) to work together. Now it turns out these days, they make 2 separate versions of each new RAM kit. One for AMD and one for Intel. Now while you may be able to buy either or and just slap them in your system of choice and it'll work, there's also a chance you will be just shit out of luck.

The best part is one manufacturer (MOBO in this case) may list a bunch of different RAM kits on it's QVL that the RAM manufactures wont have that MOBO listed on their QVL, adding to the confusion if you simply google the RAM model number and check its QVL. This is probably because it's easier to take a MOBO and just keep swapping sticks of RAM out of it than swapping the same set of sticks between 500 MOBO's.

So if don't want to take any risks and buy ram that's guaranteed to work you may end up shelling out a few extra bucks to make sure you get a kit that's listed on the manufactures QVL.

There are a good amount of people out there who may find this info useful. I know I wish I'd known this going into things.

EDIT: If you read this in linus's voice is reads like a episode of techquickie.

Can we get a video revisiting AMD PBO with the +200 option enabled.

Most videos focusing on AMD's precision boost overdrive for Ryzen CPUs focused on early and pre-release BIOS. During that time, virtually every review showed it not helping performance. They have since done many updates to it, as well as added new PBO options, but no one seems willing to revisit it even though if it is finally working,, it has the potential to be amazing for Ryzen users since traditional overclocking results in you giving up some single threaded performance for increased multithreading performance, while the on paper ideal of PBO is one of maximizing both single threaded and multithreaded performance dynamically.

Hi, could we get a video about super budget gaming pc builds? like the 70 USD gaming pc, Would be fun if you could make a annual one to see how much you could push a system on a super low budget.

thanks!

On 6/13/2013 at 10:15 AM, MooseParade said:

How to buy and apply thermal paste for CPU's and GPU's

REEEEEEEEE. The forbidden topic. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know you don't do many motherboard reviews but the new ASrock Razer X570 with built in Chroma seems to be interesting especially for the RGB fans out there.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Taichi%20Razer%20Edition/index.html

I just created a new topic about this on this Forum and I am sure most people are still very confused about this even on 2021.

So, I would love to suggest on making a video about Mobile and Laptop Batteries and how to prolong their life span

https://www.nexalus.com/

Capturing heat generated from server/crypto mining operations and using it to power/heat the residential sector or even other industries. 

One of the company's co-founders is Canadian.

I have a feeling this technology/approach to energy capture is going to be huge. 

Fun side note, Nexalus has even worked with infamous overclocker 8pack on creating high-end cooling solutions for pro-sumer gaming rigs......and they even have RGB!

https://www.nexalus.com/gaming/

Would love to have a Tech Quickie video on SFP Transceivers in the networking world. 

There seems to be like a million different kinds and configurations and speeds and whatnot, and it's kind of overwhelming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Per these comments I made in the main thread debating about whether or not Linus "should" carry through with his USD 50K Gamestop investment:

An overview of how investment firm (mega)titans like BlackRock and The Vanguard Group, Inc. make it almost impossible to truly "protest the existing financial system" through the sheer scope and size of those firms, and at least one or two major implications of this fact for the tech industry as a whole.

Disk Wiping differences between

• filling sectors with 0
  • filling sectors with 1
  • filling sectors with 0 and 1
  • DoD

and how successful are these methods

I suggest a tech quickie on ad bubble.

Freakonomics did a 2 parter on effectiveness on ads. Stuff like 60% of ads aren't even seen and how search engine ads lose money for big players like eBay.

https://pca.st/episode/da1e2604-4782-48c7-bebe-bf40951634dd

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Now that graphics cards have ridiculous prices and almost nobody can afford one share some wisdom to the poor children and make a video about getting a mxm to pci-e x16 adpter like this one DMltXqgW0AIAkFl.jpg

And add a used/sourced from an other laptop (or buying a laptop extracting the GPU selling the laptop or "returning it" as doa 😛 ) mxm GPU to play your games! 

probably not here but just build water loop pc that keeps your coffe hot in mid tower case.

Redo the 'Why This WEIRD USB Connector Exist' due to some minor errors. 

USB is directional in nature and that is why the USB-A and USB-B ports exist:  order is enforced by the cabling.  It is not exclusively power though as was alluded to in the video.  Other connectors like the 6 pin Firewire that came out at the same time as USB also handled power and had the same physical connector on both ends.  Even in the video, an Ethernet cable with a RJ45 end is presented but power-over-ethernet has been a thing for decades now.

Discussion of mini USB-B is skipped entirely as that was a size between full sized USB-B and micro USB-B.  I still bump into a few mini USB-B devices today though both full sized USB-B and micro USB-B are far, far more common.  It does make an appearance in a picture at the beginning of the video.

USB-C being able to have the same end on each side of the cable is because they re-ordered the pins to be reversible on its two sides.  Ever notice that you can flip the USB-C cable's connector upside down and nothing changes?  Due to the way the pins are defined, there is always an initial host and device config between two devices.  The two devices with USB-C connectors can then negotiate their relationship of who is the host (and later revisions of USB support both devices being hosts).

While power is provided over a USB-C cable, the idea of negotiation is not a requirement of USB-C cabling itself. Later USB specs do permit power negotiation to increase both the voltage and amperage of the power provided.  However, this negotiation is not exclusive to the USB-C cabling as various high current USB-A chargers can go beyond the 7.5 W of default power initially defined using other USB connectors.