Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Can you review the ASUS OLED laptops? I have the Zenbook 14, and find that it's cheap and underrated. 13th gen i5, wifi 6e, 512 m.2 nvme, 8gb ram, 11 hours of battery life on an OLED display. Pantone validated and 100% on rgb spectrum.

Bought mine at best buy last year for $600 US. I'm not editing videos on it, but I find that it's an excellent video for daily use. 

• 2 weeks later...

With HDMI and Display port now capable of Variable Refresh at a variety of resolutions, how come there aren't switch boxes that can mix and match between the two? And why aren't there audio capture devices for DP compared to HDMI?

I'm not sure if this has been done or not, but I'd genuinely would like to know why we're unable to have both game drivers and studio drivers (for Nvidia at least. I'm unsure what it is like for team Red and Blue respectfully) and what do we give up if we choose to game, but also do something like Blender or Photoshop on the side.

And if we go with studio drives, what are we really giving up for game play. A possible talking point could be how (if testing shows or not) that if you're not playing AAA games 24/7, then gaming with out "Game ready drivers" downloaded means that you don't have to give up any of that creative performance.  

A quick overview of software you use for capture, FPS on screen, etc would be nice and potentially helpful for people.

Inspired by a thread on the subreddit where someone asked about the FPS / 1% counter visible on screen in some videos and got multiple people telling them it was FRAPS, which hasn't updated in a decade at this point so I find it difficult to believe you'd still be using it and getting good (and reliable) results.

• 1 month later...

Best Battery Care?

• Long Term Storage
  • Chargers that discharge for longevity
    • Why discharging matters for battery chargers
  • Different care requirements for different types of batteries (Led batteries, Lithium-Ion, etc.)
  • Explain Trickle Charging.

Still find it confusing to find all this information in one place.

How aeroplanes are changing their entertainment now that hella dudes bought iPads and smarty-pants phones. 

Like dis

A vid about the differences between normal RAM and VRAM, perhaps?

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

• 3 weeks later...

I have a longer post on the LTT suggestion thread, but thought that TQ might also be able to do a short video explaining what OpenPleb is and why it's being started.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How your ISP controls your speed

Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! 

ALWAYS HAPPPY TO HELP NO CHALLENGE IS TO HARD FOR ME

Sorry I make lots of typos

• 1 month later...

Sound is created by wind when it hits an object and there is friction. (Source)

Called eolian sound or aeolian tones, the sound is produced when the wind blows over objects and causes friction. This friction produces sound waves, which travel through the air and can make a range of sounds. For example, wind encountering moving objects, such as leaves, can produce irregular sounds.

Q: Which mechanical part and operation (seek, read, write, ?) does create what unique sound?

Somebody created a YouTube Channel of HDD noise, from different HDD manufacturers versions and production year. e.g. Seagate 1994, Blog post with more details like pictures from the PCB. 

• 4 weeks later...

How your ISP controls your speed

Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! 

ALWAYS HAPPPY TO HELP NO CHALLENGE IS TO HARD FOR ME

Sorry I make lots of typos

• 2 weeks later...

I would quite like to know more about the different parts of a CPU (Cache, etc). I also think that a comparison for generations of cpus is in order, along with the different ways AMD/Intel create CPUs as as most people (like me) don't really know the difference other than AMD = Red, Intel = Blue and how AMD gpus are better than Intel ones (I swear if anyone corrects me). Also I'd like a video explaining Virtualization as its a very cool subject that lots of people don't know about... I'll shut up now ok 😄

• 3 weeks later...

About CyberBunker servers (more info in netflix shortfilm)

• 2 months later...

I've recently been struggling with my TV and the use of eARC from native TV apps. My Sony a95L won't do HD audio from within native apps. Hours of searching the internet and lots of reading later it is 1 giant confusing mess. What is clear is that pretty much no tv out there does it from within native apps, but the reason is completely unclear. Some say its the manufacturers blocking it and other say its a hardware limitation.

So a TQ on this to clear is all up would be real nice. Since you guys can probably get information from the manufacturers themselves. I would really like to learn why this is a thing, you'd think that after so many years the hardware limitation wouldn't exist anymore... so are they blocking it and why? Right now i see no reason for eARC to even exist, since i can't make use of it at all...

I have no signature

I would love to see an update to the og mineral oil build with modern components. This was one of the PCs that began my love of building PCs.

I just watched the Noob vs Pro challenge and then rewatched Sarah Butt's first build. From the latter, I think a very useful TQ would be "What is PC Part Picker and why (and how) should you use it?" Linus cringed that Sarah didn't seem to realize PCPP was not a retailer. Other people building their first PCs may find a bunch of build videos but never encounter tools like PCPP, or encounter references to them but not realize how useful they can be. When I built my first computer I didn't find out about it till I was pretty much done. And to me (and a lot of people, I think), the LEGO part of the process is much less stressful than learning enough to choose the parts well. You can of course get in shoutouts to the LTT forums as well.

Deleted (I mistook this thread for short circuit.)

Hardware vs Software Acceleration

I know what hardware is and what software is, but how do these relate to acceleration? What does it mean for a task to be "hardware accelerated" or "hardware encoded"? Isn't it all done on hardware anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

lets see linus on an infinadek in a haptic suit. 

Have ultimate builds for an OS.

Example: have an ultimate Windows 9X build, Ultimate XP Build, Ultimate Windows 7 Build and test them with games that were relevant at the peak of the OS paradigm and push it by having it run late games that were compatible with them as say a torch passing.

Ultimate Windows 98 Build test Quake 3 performance then have an Ultimate Windows XP Build and test Unreal 2k4 on both XP and Windows 98. Have the Ultimate XP build go against Windows 7 with Crysis and Tomb Raider 2013 and test the Ultimate Windows 7 Machine with a modern lowest end machine like an intel N100 and a modern reasonable machine. Bonus points to see if Crysis Remastered is more modern machine optimized for the same Crysis classic fidelity. (Like Remastered medium looking like classic Ultimate and be optimized for AVX2)

I want to see how far we have gone.

I think a short video discussing the pros and cons of this interesting combo hdmi and DP port, it can have both hdmi and display port plugged into it and work perfectly between the two. I think it would be interesting for the video to discuss the pros and cons of the port and discuss why we dont see it much and if we may start seeing more or not. Here is a link to the youtube video that a friend sent me that shows it off: