Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

I was wondering if there was a possibility of an explainer of LPDDR#x memory. I know it stands for low power but I've always wondered why they seem to run at higher frequencies as opposed to their higher-powered counterparts when you'd think it should be the other way around.

• 3 weeks later...

Linus, a Techquickie Video on MUX switches which are part of RTX 3000 series laptop Graphics .   

Ok well maybe an actual benchmark results video on laptop, about how it is affecting performance when on & off.

I saw with ASUS advertise with TUF 2022 laptops

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the "What UPS To Buy As Fast As Possible" as I'd like to know more about them for an up coming build of mine, and it's a bit boring and to some degree painful I.e. a pure white background and nothing other then the voice of the host. No offence to Luke but I think it may be worth looking into remaking some of these older informational videos with the hindsight of any new developments that may have occurred between then and now. Just making some of this older content more engaging for the viewers. 

15 hours ago, BotherRed said:

Watching the "What UPS To Buy As Fast As Possible" as I'd like to know more about them for an up coming build of mine, and it's a bit boring and to some degree painful I.e. a pure white background and nothing other then the voice of the host. No offence to Luke but I think it may be worth looking into remaking some of these older informational videos with the hindsight of any new developments that may have occurred between then and now. Just making some of this older content more engaging for the viewers. 

Merged to Tech Quickie suggestions thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

HTTP3 behind the scenes seems cool, but this 1 hour video has more info than I need.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I have two tech quickie video suggestions!

1. A basic soldering guide/what to buy etc. I get the concept but I have had bad luck and just don’t understand what I need to buy, how to properly use flux, etc. On Amazon there’s a million “100 piece soldering kits” for $20 but no idea if its any good or whatever. Just something that breaks down how to get started and the basic concepts to solder/desolder wires etc. 

2. A video explaining power and charging. Specifically how to know what amps/volts/watts means on the inputs and outputs of devices and chargers, as well as how to know if a charger will work or is even safe for your device etc. I have some handheld emulator thing and it’s very picky with the chargers it can use and I’ve actually broken it by using a wrong type of charger, and I just don’t know how it happened or why, so I’m stuck to use the crappy cable and wall wart that came in the box so I don’t break it again. 

I realize that both of these topics have huge risks for people breaking their devices if they don’t know what they are doing, but hopefully a huge disclaimer can resolve that. But would love for some help understanding these confusing topics!

Thanks!

I have a fun/great idea for a LAB video:

Sinking ship, or Heatsink.

Where all kinds of [M.2] heatsink are tested, from cheapo 3$/2pcs heatsinks. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003119126882.html?

All the way up to weird coolers like

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004291960573.html?

With every kind of cooler you can find, will be tested.

In order to keep tests fair, LTT should contact a company like Thermalright [or der8auer], and see if they can get a large spool/roll of precut, silicone thermalpads, of varying thicknesses.

This way the error margin decreases, due potential quality differences with the thermalpads that are included with the product.

Though this would require 3 tests 

1 with the included thermal pads

1 with the good quality identical thermal pads

1 Idiot installation, [Where you install it wrong on purpose]

-----

Even things like Soddim Ram heatsinks/spreaders would be a great thing to test, to see if this improves performance on laptops/SFF systems

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002871038537.html?

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Your newest episode on cell phone companies had an issue, I know a cell phone company called Indigo Wireless, previous Americell, in Pennsylvania who owns its own network, most of its own towers, equipment and provider service. It might be rare these days, but smaller independent, non-virtual networks, still exist lol.

As far as I know, they sold AT@T their Nebraska's network a while back, I think they had a stranglehold out there before singular or at@t did.

I think they allow at@t to roam on their Network too, been a while since I looked into them.

So there's FDM printing and resin printing.

So a high level explanation of them would be cool.

Also I have FDM and store the scraps to have them bio recycled, but...

What do resin printers do with their forbidden chocolate milk?

Is there a techquickie on T9 dialing yet? Just finished wan show today and with how frequent Linus bringing up T9 dialing and I thought, shouldn't this be a video already? Or is it not a video worthy materials is why they don't have a video for it yet?

My suggestion is to make another PSU video and judge the safety of a PSUs on compliance and safety agencies certifications and ratings instead of the weight of a PSU.You do know there is some viewer right now holding two PSUs thinking the lighter one will explode into a fireball..

For this one a few things:

1. Review cheap capture cards under $35, perfect thing to use your new LTT lab on as it is cheap, probably pretty quick to do, and a hot topic among people who want to get in to streaming or simply want to play a console on the same device without swapping back and forth.
  2. What is in these things compared to something like a Elgato Cam Link? What do these things do?
  3. Explain why I can't just plug HDMI in to a USB-C port and have it work. HDMI Type A has 19 pins and USB C has 24, plus I have all this video encode and decode hardware in my GPU and a CPU plus memory and storage, and usb C should have the I/O bandwidth required even uncompressed. A modern PC should have plenty of firepower to get this done and yet I need at the minimum a $10 dongle to do it.
  4. Make a good point that if we have all this hardware, especially on the GPU, and yet it still takes a $10 dongle to do it, manufacturers like AMD and especially Intel should probably look in to providing this functionality baked directly in to their products. Kind of silly I don't have some kind of built in option in 2022.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Windows, there is a startup tab in Task Manager. Some programs are there and you can enable/disable them to start at startup.

But why some programs like Facebook Messenger will not be listed there but still opens up with the system?

• 2 weeks later...

What are all these suffix on modern cpu? 

I feel like I'm buying an EVGA 3070... You got the 3070, the super, the ultra, the black super ultra...

With cpu you have the k, the kf, the t, the x, the...

Back in my day you had the i3, the i5, the i7... If you could afford the i7, then the k stood for overclock... Somehow

What in the world are these stupid letters and do they make them without letters anymore? 

Can I buy just a regular processor without the algebra? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a TQ or even an LTT vid on how to strip Win10 and/or 11 down to 'just what it needs'... no bloatware, no 'phone home'... nothing but the OS so apps you do want to use run as fast as possible without breaking Windows so its unusable. Oh yeah! Include tweaks to speed Windows up too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why do keyboards have caps locks buttons and what can we do about it?

I'm rewatching the old video about mechanical keyboard switches. Given the explosion of DIY enthusiasts for keyboards in the past 10 years, I would love to see a whole SERIES about the ins and outs of the keyboard hobby

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Bad video suggestion: gas engine cpu cooling 

Based on 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 9:11 AM, MartIILord said:

Bad video suggestion: gas engine cpu cooling 

Based on 

That sounds stupid and nonsensical, I love it! Have a steam powered LAN part or something. Though Nuclear reactors are steampunk with extra steps.