About James...

** THIS IS NOT A HATE POST - MERELY IN THE INTEREST FOR THE BEST OF LINUS MEDIA GROUP **

James appearance on the show has recently been dominated by his personality, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when he can't control his urge to steal the spotlight, it's starting to become a problem.

I'm here to share my concern on James, skewing the brand image of LMG and their youtube channels towards a negative direction.... concerns, not blames.

From the first time I saw james. I had a hard time with him, and tried not to judge. And I would lie if I said he didn't trigger my ego-detector.

What I'm refering to is, as a video host (on LMG) you have a role to fulfill which is; Read the script, stay in character, and dont skew too much off script... and always ALWAYS keep the news in the focus (and not yourself).

The issue at hand, and some video references (or evicence, if you wonna turn this into a crime investigation lol):

- First time I SAW him on WAN show... no wait.. really just pick ANY WAN show which stars James:

https://youtu.be/C0UeWlaeBOA

https://youtu.be/GMF9Av4BhLE

And here the latest WAN show: https://youtu.be/rOpYUw2V4B0

If this isn't enough for you... I got the meat of the treat here:

Please tell me your thoughts...

Here we see the alpha male reassuring his audience of his dominance: 

And here we see a silent gazelle camly sipping off the lake in serenity, UNTILL ABRUPLTY DISTURBED BY A VICIOUS CARNIVORE (roar.. it's james time):

This time it's Riley time..... deal with it.

My honest suggestion for Linus Media Group is NOT to fire or dismiss him, but to merely give him less screen time (and microphone time in general)... seems like it's getting to his head.

Please be kind to James in the comments. My concerns lies at LMG.

I think James is awesome and he should host more videos. 

#dealwithit

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I’ve never found him arrogant at all. He’s not a seasoned presenter but he’s getting considerably better, and at this stage I’d say only Linus, Luke and Riley (all well-seasoned) are more competent as hosts. Though I also very much enjoy videos by Anthony, Brandon and whoever else,

6 minutes ago, PowerDuDe_DK said:

I'm here to share my concern on James, skewing the brand image of LMG and their youtube channels towards a negative direction.... concerns, not blames.

How?

Like i can understand someone not liking a person of a cast.

I just dont see how James is doing any of it. Its just a style of hosting afterall

Frankly, I MUCH prefer Anthony's gentle style to the more extreme ones of James and Riley (especially James'). He is even better than Linus (although Linus is still much better than James and Riley). I just hope Anthony doesn't feel a need to become so outrageous as James and Riley. I don't want to see anyone go away but it would be nice to see people tone things down at least somewhat.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Only problem I have with James is he can sometimes be to fast with his presentation. Otherwise I don't get the egocentric or arrogant vibe at all. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, PowerDuDe_DK said:

Translation:

"Please let's keep James himself out of this and get the opinions about him straight to Linus behind his back"

A lot of the material he presents is scripted and if you listen you can tell from the tone of his voice (and the others like Riley, Linus, etc) that when they go "off script" it's really IN the script, they're still reading off the teleprompter they put that in the script deliberately.

Makes me cringe.

Now when they do something Vlog style or the WAN show you can find his real personality. I find he fits right in with the rest of them. Not to mention I don't think he has massive say in how much screen time he gets. It's kind of like, here's some new tech or tech news, who's available to work on it? And that just lands on James, or Linus is out of the office who's free to cover for WAN show? It lands on James.

I don't think he's trying to hog for screen time or steer the channel some odd direction. If he was I think Linus would be having words with him.

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Translation:

"Please let's keep James himself out of this and get the opinions about him straight to Linus behind his back"

That seems a little harsh, let me clarify:

I can understand you're trying not to offend anybody, and even your detailed analysis and explanation of how you don't like his personality is still fine. I don't mind people sharing their honest opinion and giving feedback on LTT hosts. 

but what I find quite nasty is how you suggest to Linus (I guess Linus bc he's in charge but your message didn't really have a clear recipient) how James should get less screentime. You make assumptions about the public perception of James based on your own opinion, and you also make assumptions about what the best way to "go about James" is for LMG. You're talking about James as a direct object, which I don't like.

Aren't those scripted in to be more just funny or witty interactions, while not the most refined in it's own sense have a relative humor to them.

sigh ... another one of these threads?

The regular hosts are all pretty much equally bad when it comes to wit and humor, that's just an LTT thing.  The difference is that James and Riley simply don't get as much slack as the others do.
Anthony of course is the notable exception.  He doesn't feel the need to insert a joke every 3 seconds, and when he does sneak one in there it's a lot more refined.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that I like seeing either of them in front of a camera, because quite frankly I don't.  At least not the regular videos, during the WAN show they tend to be a lot better because it's less scripted and they're not actively trying to be funny all the time.

I just think it's unfair to publicly hang only those 2 (or in this thread only James) while the others commit the exact same crimes against humor and good taste.

Personally, I think James might be overdoing things quite often, but I still like him. Sometimes he reminds me of the stereotypical vacuum cleaner/ insurance policy salesman, but it's not always the case. Linus too has his particularities, like emphasizing random words or parts of words during his segments.

My favourite hosts are Luke and Riley by the way.

17 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Nobody:

OP: James sucks.

This is vearing off topic, but I've been seeing this format of..joke? meme?...recently, but I don't understand it. Can you explain?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

23 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

How?

Like i can understand someone not liking a person of a cast.

I just dont see how James is doing any of it. Its just a style of hosting afterall

I guess he just sets off my ego meter too much. Which is too bad because James can be fun in his own right, and people clearly enjoy him because he brings something unique to the set... I'll see if I can make peace with him one day :/

23 hours ago, FloRolf said:

I think James is awesome and he should host more videos. 

#dealwithit

Looks like I'll have to.

23 hours ago, Dredgy said:

I’ve never found him arrogant at all. He’s not a seasoned presenter but he’s getting considerably better, and at this stage I’d say only Linus, Luke and Riley (all well-seasoned) are more competent as hosts. Though I also very much enjoy videos by Anthony, Brandon and whoever else,

Yeah, everyone got it's favorites... and you sure know who isn't mine.

23 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Frankly, I MUCH prefer Anthony's gentle style to the more extreme ones of James and Riley (especially James'). He is even better than Linus (although Linus is still much better than James and Riley). I just hope Anthony doesn't feel a need to become so as outrageous and James and Riley. I don't want to see anyone go away but it would be nice to see people tone things down at least somewhat.

Yeah Anthony is a smash hit with his otherworldly knowhow, but I also like Rileys goofey way of talking... it feels so natural to him, almost humble in a way. But Linus will always seem like the biggest Nerd of them all, just because we like to mug him xD

James is Ringo...the youngster with the excitement that keeps the band moving.

Anthony would be George, less charisma than the others but with an understated genius that's all his own.

Riley is Paul, bringing some old fashion showmanship.

Alex is Billy Preston, one of several 5th Beatles, who joins in bringing a whole different dynamic.

Linus is John, dresses funny, Asian wife.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

5 minutes ago, PowerDuDe_DK said:

I guess he just sets off my ego meter too much. Which is too bad because James can be fun in his own right, and people clearly enjoy him because he brings something unique to the set... I'll see if I can make peace with him one day :/

But... Linus is very egocentric as a host, too. That's part of the fun.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Translation:

Hahaha.... I was just afraid of setting the forum on fire ?

23 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

A lot of the material he presents is scripted and if you listen you can tell from the tone of his voice (and the others like Riley, Linus, etc) that when they go "off script" it's really IN the script, they're still reading off the teleprompter they put that in the script deliberately.

Makes me cringe.

Now when they do something Vlog style or the WAN show you can find his real personality. I find he fits right in with the rest of them. Not to mention I don't think he has massive say in how much screen time he gets. It's kind of like, here's some new tech or tech news, who's available to work on it? And that just lands on James, or Linus is out of the office who's free to cover for WAN show? It lands on James.

I don't think he's trying to hog for screen time or steer the channel some odd direction. If he was I think Linus would be having words with him.

As I see it Linus OUGHT to have some words with him. He's interrupting people while in WAN show... but I usually dont like dominant people ?

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

This is vearing off topic, but I've been seeing this format of..joke? meme?...recently, but I don't understand it. Can you explain?

Well, he's just too dominant of a character compared to all the other staff members. I really dont see why Linus hired him.

Only reason I see is he brings something new to the table...... And I dont like him.. yeah.

And the reason for this post was just to see if anyone else agreed with me.

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

James is Ringo...the youngster with the excitement that keeps the band moving.

Anthony would be George, less charisma than the others but with an understated genius that's all his own.

Riley is Paul, bringing some old fashion showmanship.

Alex is Billy Preston, one of several 5th Beatles, who joins in bringing a whole different dynamic.

Linus is John, dresses funny, Asian wife.

Fits them perfectly ?

From an outside perspective I can see it for me now.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

But... Linus is very egocentric as a host, too. That's part of the fun.

Shh.. Linus is holy ground.. and he got a free pass since he's the boss ? (he needs to be a bit ego to make up for his pussyness anyway)

20 minutes ago, PowerDuDe_DK said:

Well, he's just too dominant of a character compared to all the other staff members. I really dont see why Linus hired him.

Only reason I see is he brings something new to the table...... And I dont like him.. yeah.

And the reason for this post was just to see if anyone else agreed with me.

I was asking about the

NOBODY: <left blank>

OP: stuff

joke/meme format.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, PowerDuDe_DK said:

** THIS IS NOT A HATE POST - MERELY IN THE INTEREST FOR THE BEST OF LINUS MEDIA GROUP **

James appearance on the show has recently been dominated by his personality, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when he can't control his urge to steal the spotlight, it's starting to become a problem.

From the first time I saw james. I had a hard time with him, and tried not to judge. And I would lie if I said he didn't trigger my ego-detector.

What I'm refering to is, as a video host (on LMG) you have a role to fulfill which is; Read the script, stay in character, and dont skew too much off script... and always ALWAYS keep the news in the focus (and not yourself).

The issue at hand, and some video references (or evicence, if you wonna turn this into a crime investigation lol):

- First time I SAW him on WAN show... no wait.. really just pick ANY WAN show which stars James:

https://youtu.be/C0UeWlaeBOA

https://youtu.be/GMF9Av4BhLE

And here the latest WAN show: https://youtu.be/rOpYUw2V4B0

If this isn't enough for you... I got the meat of the treat here:

Please tell me your thoughts...

Here we see the alpha male reassuring his audience of his dominance: 

And here we see a silent gazelle camly sipping off the lake in serenity, UNTILL ABRUPLTY DISTURBED BY A VICIOUS CARNIVORE (roar.. it's james time):

This time it's Riley time..... deal with it.

My honest suggestion for Linus Media Group is NOT to fire or dismiss him, but to merely give him less screen time (and microphone time in general)... seems like it's getting to his head.

I'm just wondering when he's going to make a video about hacking The Gibson

Image result for the plague hackers

8 hours ago, PowerDuDe_DK said:

As I see it Linus OUGHT to have some words with him. He's interrupting people while in WAN show... but I usually dont like dominant people ?

Linus and Riley and also Luke do that too, and I haven't noticed James doing it particularly. So, you sure that's what you take issue with?

I think it's just the hosts getting what's on their mind in while it's still relevant, before the discussion moves too far onto something else.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I can't see the issue. He is not the best presenter, but he gets the stuff done. He neither seems overly arrogant ( a little bit of ego is not only okay it is necessary) nor over the top. Maybe a bit louder than Riley, but that's not a problem for me.

These guys are still young writers and are finding their voice. It’s best to give them constructive feedback, they aren’t doing too bad considering they are relatively new at this.

Well, that's part of his character. He is somewhat of an asshole, but has charisma. 

Meanwhile, Riley is absolute garbage tier. He sucks as presenter (unless his role is to suck, hint hint), sucks as script writer and sucks as a forum staff (CONSTANTLY messes up video uploads).

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold