Bethesda removes DRM from Rage 2 after just two days

LukeSavenije

Source: Tweakers (Dutch)

Bethesda removed the Denuvo-drm from Rage 2 only two days after releasing. The developers say they have had a 'number' of requests to do that. Earlier it turned out that the version that Bethesda sells through its own launcher did not have Denuvo.

The Steam version of Rage 2 has received a hotfix that removes the Denuvo copy protection from the game. Bethesda supplied the game via its own platform from the first day without Denuvo-drm and as a result the game was cracked quickly. It's not unusual for developers to remove the Denuvo drm from their games after it has been cracked. This often happens quietly, without the developer explicitly reporting it. Bethesda also does not provide a detailed explanation, but at least acknowledges that the drm has been removed and also indicates that people have requested this. Many gamers are fiercely opposed to the Denuvo drm because it can negatively influence the performance of games.

I don't mind it having a DRM for the first day, even as heavy as Denuvo. It keeps some money for the developers before it gets cracked. So I think it was a bad idea from Bethesda to not running it on their own launcher in the first place.

Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Bethesda to not running it on their own launcher in the first place.

the DRM is outsourced to Denuvo, that means DRM is added to the original launcher.... not create the launcher for the game

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

There's really no point to anti-piracy matters on the SW as they usually fail within a month. 

you're not entirely wrong, but most of the sales happen in that first month, or even week. if it gets cracked earlier, the sales can go down hard

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the DRM is outsourced to Denuvo, that means DRM is added to the original launcher.... not create the launcher for the game

i don't think you understand me right

if you bought it via Bethesda you didn't have the drm, via steam you did

why not steam though? More vulnerable to pirating with steam? I dont think so.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Seems like an odd choice to put it on one platform and not the other, knowing full well it will be cracked anyways. Also if you went to the expense of putting DRM on, surely you'd want to use it on both platforms? I wonder if the amount they spent on implementing DRM outweighed the amount they saved on piracy, even though they handed the game on a silver platter to pirates.

Just seems like a strange decision all around!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Sweet, if we are going to have DRM this is the way id want it done, just for the first few days to avoid the day 0 pirates and stuff and then its FFA

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

in fact yes, steam DRM is like cracked on or before release date  lol

yeah but Bethesda's own launcher is like, naked?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I, for one, don't buy products with DRM anymore.  It does limit my choices quite a lot, but I refuse to be treated like a criminal and then not be able to use a product later on when they're no longer supporting it.

Odd choice to not have a uniform policy of having or not having it across all stores, and I don't agree with its use in the first place due to the performance issues, but good on them for removing it so early on.  I guess they got the day or two of protection they were aiming for and realize trying to claw on to more is not worth annoying everyone with this garbage.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't think there is a point to having Denuvo now, considering that hackers can already crack the game in a matter of days or even hours at this point.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't think there is a point to having Denuvo now, considering that hackers can already crack the game in a matter of days or even hours at this point.

That's all most game makers hope for actually.  Apparently those early sales are enough that it's worth it to bother with the DRM.  I'm happy to see them remove it after that initial period rather than leave it in like a cancer though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

you're not entirely wrong, but most of the sales happen in that first month, or even week. if it gets cracked earlier, the sales can go down hard

Could go down, but it wont. Most pirates just wait for the crack. New games are pretty buggy at day one anyway (deep respect to the ones that arent)....

Be honest, who cares anymore? When talking about AAA titles any game of any given genre is pretty much the same as any other game of the same genre these days.

Games are slowly becoming this grey soup of cookie cutter mechanics.

Can you name a single AAA game from the last 5 years that hasn't had XP, a levelling system based on said XP, gear/loot based on level/rank? How about an open world game that hasn't had "towers" to unlock the map? A driving game that hasn't used rewind/flashback (sims don't count)?

I can name 2 that don't fit, GTA V & RDR2.

The entire industry is incapable of an original thought these days.

Rage 2 is simply another open world game, it's nothing special.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Can you name a single AAA game from the last 5 years that hasn't had XP, a levelling system based on said XP, gear/loot based on level/rank? How about an open world game that hasn't had "towers" to unlock the map? A driving game that hasn't used rewind/flashback (sims don't count)?

Civ6 ?

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Source: Tweakers (Dutch)

Bethesda removed the Denuvo-drm from Rage 2 only two days after releasing. The developers say they have had a 'number' of requests to do that. Earlier it turned out that the version that Bethesda sells through its own launcher did not have Denuvo.

I don't mind it having a DRM for the first day, even as heavy as Denuvo. It keeps some money for the developers before it gets cracked. So I think it was a bad idea from Bethesda to not running it on their own launcher in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Are less people really going to pirate the game if they have to wait a few days? Surely if you plan on pirating it then you would have the patience to wait a few days, don't think having DRM for the first few days will make any difference. Then again all DRM is pointless imo, developers should stop using it, it just hurts consumers. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

2 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Are less people really going to pirate the game if they have to wait a few days? Surely if you plan on pirating it then you would have the patience to wait a few days, don't think having DRM for the first few days will make any difference. Then again all DRM is pointless imo, developers should stop using it, it just hurts consumers. 

Not at all speaking from experience but if you don't intend to pay for the game you'll wait as long as it takes.

7 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

the problem with piracy protection in general is that it only works well for a while, after that it'll be cracked by some software or hardware

but that first cycle is most important for sales

that's why

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the problem with piracy protection in general is that it only works well for a while, after that it'll be cracked by some software or hardware

but that first cycle is most important for sales

that's why

I don't see how it is though? Surely if you are planning on pirating something you won't mind waiting a few weeks? There will still be plenty of people who buy the game. DRM isn't necessary at all. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

Just now, bradwiggo said:

I don't see how it is though? Surely if you are planning on pirating something you won't mind waiting a few weeks? There will still be plenty of people who buy the game. DRM isn't necessary at all. 

it's how it happens tho... hard to say much more about it

Good move. Everyone using it could just stop though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Below is why they had to remove it.

Probably was asking your CPU to go through some heavy decryption workload each time you start the game.