Samsung Galaxy S10 has 4k video front camera? Samsung teaser hints towards it...

RobbinM

This teaser was posted on the Vietnam Samsung channel, and while the video itself doesn't seem to clarify anything, the title reveals a little more.

There are currently no phones that can record in 4K with their front facing camera.

The title of the video says 4K, and the imagery in the video shows that it's about the front facing camera. The title also says "professional vibrations", translated, what may hint to stabilization.

It is unclear if stabilization will be optical or software mode.

It is also unclear if the 4K resolution is about video, or photo resolution. The format however highly suggests that it is about the video resolution, photo resolution would be about 8MP.

Do we need 4K front camera?

No signature found

7 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Do we need 4K front camera?

I would much rather the money spent developing this went to something more useful, like optimization or battery life, not a spec to be marketed.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I would much rather the money spent developing this went to something more useful, like optimization or battery life, not a spec to be marketed.

There was a rumour about a 5000 mAh battery version. And it's Samsung, so of course they would put in a lot of money for their battery department. We all know what happened when their budget was lower.

2 minutes ago, Snipekillz said:

There was a rumour about a 5000 mAh battery version. And it's Samsung, so of course they would put in a lot of money for their battery department. We all know what happened when their budget was lower.

You could say that their battery R&D budget explosively increased...

Let’s finally get this to notebooks. 720p is not good enough!

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Let’s finally get this to notebooks. 720p is not good enough!

1080P all the way

Won’t visit often..

1 minute ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

1080P all the way

Would still be an upgrade!

Sounds like Apple's pricing won't be alone anymore.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I do not and never have used a front camera, can they just make a phone without the fucking punch hole as a separate version ? you have everything to gain nothing to lose by giving customers that option!!! 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just drop the front facing camera

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Doesn't matter how good it is, I put tape over it anyway. 

Based on what I've seen so far, I'll probably be upgrading to an S9 or S9+ instead of an S10. Just gonna wait for the prices to drop as a result of the S10 release.

I'd rather not have front camera but a proper display. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Can we get stable 4k60fps rear camera instead?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 2/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Doesn't matter how good it is, I put tape over it anyway. 

Based on what I've seen so far, I'll probably be upgrading to an S9 or S9+ instead of an S10. Just gonna wait for the prices to drop as a result of the S10 release.

You seriously put tape over your front facing camera like a webcam on a laptop?

I am really looking forward to such phones once they drop the prices in a few years

I'm all for improved spec, even if it's not something I'm likely to use. If it's stabilized, that's even better...and rather impressive given it has to be under the display.

If they mean 4k video, I'm sure this will be great for Vloggers who use something better atm. Nothing like being able to reduce the number of things you have to carry around.

I'd imagine the actual cost to incorporate something like this is minuscule when it comes to the overall cost of the device. As the modules advance, prices drop. Surprise.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, firelighter487 said:

y tho...

Why not?

On 2/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

What makes you think they spent money developing it at all? Unless it was made by Samsung (which is unlikely, and honestly even if it was, isn't the same division that makes the phone..) it cost them nothing to develop. They simply put it in the phone. Since prices go down over time, the cost is likely minimal if anything at all compared to what they had before.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I do not and never have used a front camera, can they just make a phone without the fucking punch hole as a separate version ? you have everything to gain nothing to lose by giving customers that option!!! 

Haha, for the handful of people that would use it? Doesn't make sense at all from a financial aspect. You have a lot of money to lose. So. There's that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why not?

because who wants/needs to record something with the front camera in 4K?

the only thing this will do is drive up the amount of ads and tracking we have to put up with on sites like instagram because all that 4K footage has to be stored somehow. it will also require a lot more bandwidth driving up cost of data plans and to top it off will require a lot more processing power on all of those fronts meaning a lot more energy used which is bad because renewable energy isn't good enough to support us yet and fossil fuels will run out someday.

She/Her

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

because who wants/needs to record something with the front camera in 4K?

the only thing this will do is drive up the amount of ads and tracking we have to put up with on sites like instagram because all that 4K footage has to be stored somehow. it will also require a lot more bandwidth driving up cost of data plans and to top it off will require a lot more processing power on all of those fronts meaning a lot more energy used which is bad because renewable energy isn't good enough to support us yet and fossil fuels will run out someday.

I don't really understand how this would be Samsung's fault?  This is just the current trend in general with tech. If Samsung didn't do it Apple would or some other manufacturer would beat them to it.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I don't really understand how this would be Samsung's fault?  This is just the current trend in general with tech. If Samsung didn't do it Apple would or some other manufacturer would beat them to it.

i doubt that. 4K on front camera's is so useless i doubt Apple would sacrifice making the notch smaller etc to do it.

She/Her