iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

"Apple confirms some iPad Pros ship slightly bent, but says it’s normal"

Gosh... Apple loves the memes on them it seems. Welp

ITS A FEATURE!!!

✨FNIGE✨

23 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

perhaps. but my argument is still valid. devices shouldn't need to survive a bend test. 

Cars are not expected to survive a crash test.

Headphones are not expected to output every range (sub/super sonic).

But they are expected to reach reasonable results... neither happens here with the iPad Pro.

6 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Cars are not expected to survive a crash test.

Headphones are not expected to output ever range (sub/super sonic).

But they are expected to reach reasonable results... neither happens here with the iPad Pro.

They should be expected to reach reasonable levels of durability, but I'd disagree with the needing to survive a bend test to show it. 

The problem is that it bends easily enough to be bent out of the box -- but you can't attain that level of detail from a bend test -- at least a bend test that isn't conducted with measurement tools, which is what makes them a poor measure of durability. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

it's not the bend that's the problem, it's them cliaming this is normal and refusing to fix it, or anything every for that matter until they decide they want to stop the bad press. 

JcKZteD.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it's not the bend that's the problem, it's them cliaming this is normal and refusing to fix it, or anything every for that matter until they decide they want to stop the bad press. 

JcKZteD.png

At least the problem has hit news outlets far sooner. Apple will be forced far sooner than usual to actually do what they're supposed to do: fix their products defects.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I don’t want to defend Apple, quite the opposite. But other companies get away with bad software support, bad designs and bad overall quality because they’re not as scrutinized as Apple. 

not defending anybody here, but bad software is a whole different story than broken hardware. Bad software is typically just annoying. bad hardware can be flat out unusable.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Usually I should come up with an excuse, but even for me this is rediculous. Should have fixed their process and thought this out before sale. For an otherwise amazing device, this is just appalling - especially paying that amount of money. They can sort it out in most of these iPads, why are some actually being sold like that? They can afford that kind of quality control!

Loved the title, thought it was a joke but Apple themselves claim 'it's normal' so who knows.

U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 14, 2018 and 25 December 2018, may be returned through 8 January 2019. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2018 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.

Standard Return Policy

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased online from Apple:

• You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
  • Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
  • Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.

Source: https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

If your iPad Pro came bent, return it and get a refund or a replacement. Don't give me that "Apple won't fix it" bs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

They should be expected to reach reasonable levels of durability, but I'd disagree with the needing to survive a bend test to show it. 

The problem is that it bends easily enough to be bent out of the box -- but you can't attain that level of detail from a bend test -- at least a bend test that isn't conducted with measurement tools, which is what makes them a poor measure of durability. 

Yes. Yes you can from a bend test. Deny all you want. But materials work that way. It's not "science", but it is data.

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If your iPad Pro came bent, return it and get a refund or a replacement. Don't give me that "Apple won't fix it" bs. 

So what happens when your replacement comes bent from the factory as well? How many times will Apple replace a product that comes defective from the factory?

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

So what happens when your replacement comes bent from the factory as well?

You can get another one until it isn't bent or you can have your money back. 

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

How many times will Apple replace a product that comes defective from the factory?

I am unfamiliar with iOS device repair/replacement for situations like this since I've never had any issues. But I do know after about 3 repair attempts on Macs they usually just give you a new one that is often of a higher spec config than what you bought. I imagine a similar thing would happen with an iPad Pro if you still didn't want a refund and weren't being a dick to the manager. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don't give me that "Apple won't fix it" bs. 

Are people claiming that Apple wont fix this? That or you are taking "wont fix" out context. The few mentions are in relation that Apple seemingly didnt have an attitude for fixing it

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Are people claiming that Apple wont fix this? That or you are taking "wont fix" out context. The few mentions are in relation that Apple seemingly didnt have an attitude for fixing it

my biggest issue is that they told The Verge that they don't "consider it to be a defect". which is the biggest load of bullshit ever it IS a defect. especially if it came from the factory like that.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

my biggest issue is that they told The Verge that they don't "consider it to be a defect". which is the biggest load of bullshit ever it IS a defect. especially if it came from the factory like that.

And the counterpoint to that is it's not Apples decision within the return period. If you think it is unacceptable, you can get you money back. 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

It isn't a defect.

It's a glaring design flaw.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And the counterpoint to that is it's not Apples decision within the return period. If you think it is unacceptable, you can get you money back. 

There is no counterpoint. Regardless of whether or not the 14 day return time-frame exists, for them to say this is "not a defect" is unacceptable.

If you buy a tablet (or any other mobile device) worth as much as these, you expect it to be perfect from the factory. For apple to say "eh, it's part of the manufacturing process, it's fine" is a big middle finger to their customers.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

For apple to say "eh, it's part of the manufacturing process, it's fine" is a big middle finger to their customers.

Then those customers can get their money back and get a different tablet from a different company ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then those customers can get their money back and get a different tablet from a different company ?‍♂️

That's the thing, they aren't acknowledging it as an issue and offering warranty coverage or probably returns? for it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That's the thing, they aren't acknowledging it as an issue and offering warranty coverage or probably returns? for it. 

Within Apples Holiday/standard return policy, you can get a refund no questions asked. Apple doesn’t have to acknowledge it for consumers to demand a refund for it. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

i know you're the resident apple fan and defender. so instead i'll ask you directly for my own sanity because i don't think you're irrational;

Do YOU think it's fine for them to ship bent iPads worth $800 - $1800 and say it's not a problem?

Ignore the 14 day return policy because that's irrelevant.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Within Apples Holiday/standard return policy, you can get a refund no questions asked. Apple doesn’t have to acknowledge it for consumers to demand a refund for it. 

I think more about the third parties. If it's a return for defect, it sometimes helps if the company recalls or acknowledges an issue, or nothing at all. Now they got a "that normal, there's nothing wrong with that" excuse to deny. What gets me inst the not acknowledging it's a problem, it's saying it's not. 

muh specs 

All parts black

37 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yes. Yes you can from a bend test. Deny all you want. But materials work that way. It's not "science", but it is data.

No, you really can't. Some asshole on the internet bending an iPad means absolutely nothing without some data supporting the amount of force required. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Do YOU think it's fine for them to ship bent iPads worth $800 - $1800 and say it's not a problem?

No, they shouldn’t and Apple shouldn’t have downplayed it, but they did and I can’t change that. I can only remind everyone else that the consumer isn’t getting totally shafted here. 

Personally I don’t believe that just because something costs a lot, it should be perfect. Imo that is irrational. But if Apple can make it right in the end with a refund or a replacement, I see that as good customer service reguraldess of the initial mistake. 

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

not defending anybody here, but bad software is a whole different story than broken hardware. Bad software is typically just annoying. bad hardware can be flat out unusable.

Bad software can make a device unusable as well. Think bootloops. But that’s a different type of problem with a different solution.