[update] after July 17 2017, MicroSoft to support new CPUs only on W10

source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

Support Policy Updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Customers

With Windows 7 now in extended support, we are focused on our commitment to deliver security, reliability, and compatibility to our installed base on their current systems. Redesigning Windows 7 subsystems to embrace new generations of silicon would introduce churn into the Windows 7 code base, and would break this commitment. Thus, today we are clarifying our Windows support policy:

• Windows 7 will continue to be supported for security, reliability, and compatibility through January 14, 2020 on previous generation silicon. Windows 8.1 will receive the same support through January 10, 2023. This includes most of the devices available for purchase today by consumers or enterprises.
  • Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support. This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.
  • Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends. After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.
In clarifying this policy, we are prioritizing transparency with enterprises on where to find the highest reliability and best supported Windows experience: Windows 10 on any silicon, Windows 7 on the down-level silicon it was designed for, or a device on the support list. Although this silicon and platform alignment is entirely consistent with modern technology trends, we understand the need for our enterprise customers to adapt to it in the Windows context— and we stand by ready to partner with them on their Windows deployments. Companies of any size interested in upgrading to Windows 10 should contact their Microsoft technology representative today for assistance.

from MS' own wording, it looks like 6th generation Intel CPUs, codenamed Skylake will the last supported under Windows 7 as Windows 7 is already in long term support starting January last year

next will follow Windows 8.1 with long term support starting January 2018

what that means for the end user, not much; the only ones getting "hurt" by this sudden move are businesses that aren't as flexible to switch to new OSs very fast

why is that? generation to generation of OS, certain compatibility with the software the company is using can be broken and that leaves them exposed

this could potentially put a hurt on Intel and AMD respectively on hardware sales as most businesses tent to not jump to new OSes right away - people need new training and the other reasons (I mentioned above)

---

on Skylake and Intel N3xxx SoC, without a SATA optical drive and PS/2 k&m you will not be able to install W7 unless you inject the xHCI driver in the W7 iso

---

update 19th of March: http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsitpro/archive/2016/03/18/updates-to-support-policy-for-skylake-devices-running-windows-7-and-windows-8-1.aspx

Microsoft just announced they will extend support for "Skylake" CPUs on Windows 7 and Window 8.1

• To help provide greater flexibility for customers who have longer deployment timeframes to Windows 10, the support period for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices on Skylake systems will be extended by one year: from July 17, 2017 to July 17, 2018.
  • Also, after July 2018, all critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for Skylake systems until extended support ends for Windows 7, January 14, 2020 and Windows 8.1 on January 10, 2023.

That's strange.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

did not even read the article you posted??

In clarifying this policy, we are prioritizing transparency with enterprises on where to find the highest reliability and best supported Windows experience: Windows 10 on any silicon, Windows 7 on the down-level silicon it was designed for, or a device on the support list. Although this silicon and platform alignment is entirely consistent with modern technology trends, we understand the need for our enterprise customers to adapt to it in the Windows context— and we stand by ready to partner with them on their Windows deployments. Companies of any size interested in upgrading to Windows 10 should contact their Microsoft technology representative today for assistance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

from MS' own wording, it looks like 6th generation Intel CPUs, codenamed Skylake will the last supported under Windows 7 as Windows 7 is already in long term support starting January last year

next will follow Windows 8.1 with long term support starting January 2018

what that means for the end user, not much; the only ones getting "hurt" by this sudden move are businesses that aren't as flexible to switch to new OSs very fast

why is that? generation to generation of OS, certain compatibility with the software the company is using can be broken and that leaves them exposed

this could potentially put a hurt on Intel and AMD respectively on hardware sales as most businesses tent to not jump to new OSes right away - people need new training and the other reasons (I mentioned above)

all this means is that you MIGHT not be able to install windows 7/8 on next gen cpus

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

That's fine. I don't plan to upgrade either of my xeons, or either of my 4790ks for years to come.

By then there's bound to be a community patch to disable all of w10's internet access and snooping. As soon as that happens, I'm moving platforms.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

What does this mean?

Does it mean that you have to have the latest CPUs to get new updates?

Fuck, my Prescott P4 we be useless!

Nope, I just failed at reading again. Why is english so hard?

They never read them. They just see a clickbaity article and copy/paste it.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Truly doing everything to get people to upgrade

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

They never read them. They just see a clickbaity article and copy/paste it.

you're right, i never considered that...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what exactly I didn't read or you think I didn't understood?!

that MS will maybe grant extended support to enterprise on case by case - and that will cost them shit tons of money

as for the end user, yes, if you have a CPU released after July 17th 2017 you won't be able to install W7 and/or W8.1 to that system

Microsoft is really pushing Windows10 down our throats. I understand that they want to have one sort of eco-system that's connected but some people just like the older things that actually work and don't require newer things like cortana. Guess it's time for me to upgrade from Windows 7.

If by strange you mean stupid, yes very. 

Seriously if Microsoft keeps pushing this hard some people will start to push back.

We can only hope.

@Neemil don't fall victim to their trap. It's not an upgrade, it's a downgrade in security.

Edit: People are going to call me crazy, but when it happens, and you all get viruses via Windows Update, I am going to need to be hospitalized for hysterical laughter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Edit: People are going to call me crazy, but when it happens, and you all get viruses via Windows Update, I am going to need to be hospitalized for hysterical laughter.

Microsoft's pushed out bad updates for Windows 7 and afaict the last Windows Me update breaks the OS (because clearly, it wasn't broken enough as it is) so it's possible with any Windows version that supports updates for a bad update to come through.

wut I literally don't get it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Microsoft's pushed out bad updates for Windows 7 and afaict the last Windows Me update breaks the OS (because clearly, it wasn't broken enough as it is) so it's possible with any Windows version that supports updates for a bad update to come through.

Yes it is, unless you have the ability to turn off the Windows Update system. While yes, you CAN block the Windows Update servers IP addresses on Windows 10, you're eventually going to have to undo that for either a system stability update or some kind of security update, and chances are part of those updates will contain things that change the IP addresses from which your system gets it's Windows Updates, making your IP blocks ineffectual.

It's just a matter of time before the forced automatic updates thing completely blows up in their faces.

Yes it is, unless you have the ability to turn off the Windows Update system. While yes, you CAN block the Windows Update servers IP addresses on Windows 10, you're eventually going to have to undo that for either a system stability update or some kind of security update, and chances are part of those updates will contain things that change the IP addresses from which your system gets it's Windows Updates, making your IP blocks ineffectual.

It's just a matter of time before the forced automatic updates thing completely blows up in their faces.

And when they do... they'll enable disabling automatic updates. Or at least that's what I want them to do.

A guy can dream, can he not?

And when they do... they'll enable disabling automatic updates. Or at least that's what I want them to do.

A guy can dream, can he not?

I'd prefer to vote by not using Windows 10, rather than using it and just hoping.

Sadly, most of the general public is too ignorant to know about any of this.

I'd prefer to vote by not using Windows 10, rather than using it and just hoping.

Sadly, most of the general public is too ignorant to know about any of this.

Well aside from MS's bullshit and the glitches it's actually a pretty decent OS. Not the best ever, but it's decent.

Well aside from MS's bullshit and the glitches it's actually a pretty decent OS. Not the best ever, but it's decent.

The only problem I've ever had with Windows 7 is it asking me if I want to change my color scheme, in the middle of a game. Usually at the worst possible moment.