[update] after July 17 2017, MicroSoft to support new CPUs only on W10

so, some android flagships bearly get 12 months support and your fine, MS decide that there not gonna support new CPUs on software that is some 7 years old and you all loose your shit.   really.  

windows 7, the new XP......move on already, and before someone mentions privacy.....bullshit.  i call bullshit. most of you run chrome and use android......fucking google, the kings of privacy. then most of you post your shit all over twitter and facebook. FACEBOOK. jesus they made there money form selling data, it feels like every day they find a new way to invade your privacy and sell it, you all bang on about privacy but how many of you gave a shit before snowdon?  its got nothing to do with privacy and everything to do with hating on whatever company happens to be in the middle of the shit storm.

No not really. Windows XP was older, and has serious security issues, and wasn't optimized/designed for modern hardware, let alone was based on a 1993 kernel. Windows 7 is still a solid OS. Modern Windows, now, is mostly about features as the focus, sure it is more secure, but nothing that requires immediate attention, like what Windows XP was.

Microshaft  "Windows 10 will be free for a year!"

User "Does that mean we can claim it for a year or just own it for a year?" 

Microshaft "Who fucking cares! Let me poorly explain it"

They've already explained pretty clearly several times that it's claim it within that one year grace period, it's yours forever. Gee, you people forget easily ಠ_ಠ

No not really. Windows XP was older, and has serious security issues, and wasn't optimized/designed for modern hardware, let alone was based on a 1993 kernel. Windows 7 is still a solid OS. Modern Windows, now, is mostly about features as the focus, sure it is more secure, but nothing that requires immediate attention, like what Windows XP was.

i ment it more in the way that every loved xp and refused to let go and upgrade when xp wasnt all that good

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I guess I'll be paying more attention to the Motherboards for AM4 sockets and what drivers they'll be supporting when they release to make my decision going forward.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

They've already explained pretty clearly several times that it's claim it within that one year grace period, it's yours forever. Gee, you people forget easily ಠ_ಠ

I was talking more about initially and how it took them over 3 days to finally explain.

i ment it more in the way that every loved xp and refused to let go and upgrade when xp wasnt all that good

Except Windows 7 is still very good. XP to 7 was an incredible leap forward in pretty much every single area. 7 to 10 is not that big of a leap.

I was talking more about initially and how it took them over 3 days to finally explain.

oh.

No no no.. you are not reading my post entirely. I clearly stated that the future updates will NOT BE TESTED for the CPU. In fact Microsoft says it, and adds that only emergency or SOME critical update will be tested.

Please read everything.

All I am saying, is that much like any older version of Windows, everything will work, despite having updates pulled. I CLEARLY state this.

Well it works. So you have nothing to say.

The day Intel goes "Well, let's ACTUALLY change x86 CPU architecture", now you should be concerned. Until then, Windows will work. So yes, you COULD make Windows 98 work on your system, however, due to the age of the OS, I recall it has trouble identifying 1GB of RAM and more, and the architecture of Windows is too old for PCI-E, SATA, etc, let alone have drivers, but they are ways to make it work to some level, and if it works to some level, then your CPU is operating the instructions, and hence compatible.

So I am not throwing crap, and I am not defending Microsoft. I am saying how the media is being sensationalism, and people like you, only read the title, let alone the first set of words, and assume the rest.

Windows 9*=PITA to run on my 2001 Abit VP6 due to it having 2GB SDRAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ok, so let me get this straight, Microsoft says that they will no longer support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with updates on Skylake processors in 18 months while those OSes are still supported in general for few more years, so does this mean that they will be still supported on Haswell, Broadwell and other processors for years? In that case can't we just trick the OS running on a Skylake processor to make it think it's running on Haswell (or Broadwell) processor? I mean I never install drivers from Windows Update so what could go wrong? Unless the update has something to do with a kernel but why would Microsoft even bother with something like that when they have Windows 10?

Thinking if my next build should be a Broadwell or a Skylake...

I can still run Linux if they pull something big though, it's just some stuff I do requires Windows.

The chances of me using Windows 10 are the same as Microsoft started supporting the old Symbian phones :P It's never gonna happen.

Ok, so let me get this straight, Microsoft says that they will no longer support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with updates on Skylake processors in 18 months while those OSes are still supported in general for few more years, so does this mean that they will be still supported on Haswell, Broadwell and other processors for years? In that case can't we just trick the OS running on a Skylake processor to make it think it's running on Haswell (or Broadwell) processor? I mean I never install drivers from Windows Update so what could go wrong? Unless the update has something to do with a kernel but why would Microsoft even bother with something like that when they have Windows 10?

Thinking if my next build should be a Broadwell or a Skylake...

I can still run Linux if they pull something big though, it's just some stuff I do requires Windows.

The chances of me using Windows 10 are the same as Microsoft started supporting the old Symbian phones :P It's never gonna happen.

Microsoft will not block you from using new processors. They just won't update old operating systems to support new processors and whatever new features they bring. This means that you can use any new processor just fine in most cases I'd think. Intel, AMD or Qualcomm might change some things in new processors that breaks compatibility with older versions of Windows in which case Microsoft will not commit to fixing it.

can't we just trick the OS running on a Skylake processor to make it think it's running on Haswell (or Broadwell) processor?

not necessary but yes you can: virtualise 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

As a Linux user it's not like I particularly care much, but for those of you who live on older versions of Windows this is quite the smack to the face. It's also something GNU classifies as device tyranny, where users' choices of operating systems are arbitrarily restricted against their will.

Also, Microsoft's try at sounding like they know at all what they're talking about when it comes to the suggested idea that "newer chips just can't handle it" is frankly bullshit. A Core i7-4790K can run DOS, but you want to tell me there's a limitation that isn't some arbitrary business decision between Intel and Microsoft out for 7? Yeah right.

No artificial RAM + CPU limits FTW. (BTW, Linux is my best friend when it comes to systems with 1 or more CPU, because "give us money to use all of your computer").

PMSL

• 1 month later...

updated OP

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsitpro/archive/2016/03/18/updates-to-support-policy-for-skylake-devices-running-windows-7-and-windows-8-1.aspx

Microsoft just announced they will extend support for "Skylake" CPUs on Windows 7 and Window 8.1

• To help provide greater flexibility for customers who have longer deployment timeframes to Windows 10, the support period for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices on Skylake systems will be extended by one year: from July 17, 2017 to July 17, 2018.
  • Also, after July 2018, all critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for Skylake systems until extended support ends for Windows 7, January 14, 2020 and Windows 8.1 on January 10, 2023.

So after July 2018, security support effectively ends for everyone prior to skylake. Nice loophole there, Microsoft. Can't wait to see how many people notice that one.

12 minutes ago, Rune said:

So after July 2018, security support effectively ends for everyone prior to skylake. Nice loophole there, Microsoft. Can't wait to see how many people notice that one.

upgrade if you dont want to thats not MS problem

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

32 minutes ago, Rune said:

You read it wrong. Microsoft has committed to support their operating systems until the listed dates, so that means security updates until then. What Microsoft might be saying is that they won't commit to fixing security issues related specifically to older hardware or they might just specify how support for Skylake will work independent of their standard update policy. 

23 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You read it wrong. Microsoft has committed to support their operating systems until the listed dates, so that means security updates until then. What Microsoft might be saying is that they won't commit to fixing security issues related specifically to older hardware or they might just specify how support for Skylake will work independent of their standard update policy. 

Seems pretty clear to me.

all critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for Skylake systems

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Only on Windows 7 and 8.1

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

50 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Only on Windows 7 and 8.1

Thats still quite a lot of people. My guess would be the vast majority.

4 hours ago, Eroda said:

That includes your i7.

7 hours ago, Eroda said:

Why they hell should I upgrade from my i7 4790K just because Microsoft wants me to switch to their latest stripped down OS?

PMSL

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Seems pretty clear to me.

You do realize this update was in regards to Skylake systems? You also realize that previously it was the case that all systems but Skylake was supported until 2020/2023?

So you're telling me that the policy has been reversed completely so all the other systems get abandoned except Skylake?

You see, while Microsoft has awful communication and continues to make incredibly stupid blunders, this is a very unlikely scenario. 

The whole Skylake thing came out of unhappy enterprise customers. However, it would piss them off even more if they were forced to upgrade all their machines.

will this finally make the hipsters move to windows 10 and let dx 11 die? i don't know.. only time will tell

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Well here is some good news for those that are not wanting to switch to Windows 10, I am not sure why you would not outside of a fear of being tracked.  In any case Microsoft just announced that they are pushing back the date when Windows 7 and 8 will no longer have vendor support for Skylake processors.  Article is on Computer World

Microsoft today retreated from an earlier retirement date for Windows 7 and 8.1 support on newer hardware, saying that it would now support those OSes on PCs running Intel's Skylake silicon until July 2018.

Which to me is a good thing as it provides everybody just a bit more time to make sure Windows 10 is safe for them.  Frankly I see no big deal with the original date but I think Microsoft was hoping Intel was releasing more chips faster and now that Intel has not they go maybe we will support Windows 7 and 8 a bit longer.  The biggest news is kinda like a footnote in my mind in the article and that is end of support date for Windows 7 and 8. 

The Redmond, Wash. company also retreated from another component of the earlier support policy: Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Skylake PCs will receive all critical security updates through their respective January 2020 and January 2023 retirement dates

Granted this is just about the skylake processors it is still good news that will support those windows versions with security updates.  I am happy to see Microsoft being a bit more opened.  Of course the article goes on to say that business partners that are rocking Windows 7 and 8 are not yet ready for the switch and have to do more work with windows 10 to get it ready for deployment I think the extension of getting the free upgrade might be extended in the near future as well.  The issue for a lot of these customers is trying to get Haswell processors might be in limited supply over the summer as Intel works on the Skylake processors.  Also given that Broadwell was pretty much just a mobile processor design Skylake is going to be only processor available to them if Haswell supplies start getting tight.  In any case we should see more out of Microsoft in the near future I am thinking about upgrade process.

Just so you guys know I did switch my windows on my Laptop to 10 last fall.  I am still rocking 7 on my desktop until the end of April when I will also upgrade to 10 after the last of the bugs get taken care of.  I am quite happy with 10 on the laptop and see no big deal with going to 10 on the desktop.  I am in class right now so moving to 10 in the middle of a term is quite literally very scary for me.  I try to avoid doing any type of upgrades or updates until the end of the semester.   In any case does anybody else think they may run the free upgrade to Windows 10 longer if they still are not moving enough people to 10 from 7 or 8 by say June or May? 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!