[update] after July 17 2017, MicroSoft to support new CPUs only on W10

Yeah, you can't install Windows 7 via USB on Skylake because Skylake doesn't natively support USB 2.0 and Windows 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0.

they changed that!? I looked at some older slides from them :mellow:

It was never changed. Bristol was always going to be Excavator-based. AM4 boards are launching in a couple months with Beistol Ridge APUs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It was never changed. Bristol was always going to be Excavator-based. AM4 boards are launching in a couple months with Beistol Ridge APUs.

not according the sheets I looked at  :huh:

Does Windows 2000/XP install and run on your Skylake CPU? or any modern CPU, despite Microsoft pulling the plug entirely on updates, especially Windows 2000. Yes? See. No special updates needed, all works.

What Microsoft meant is that, Microsoft and Intel have been working closely together for implementing unique system features. One of them is waking up the system from sleep via Cortana. And other security features. Those won't be coming on Windows 8 or older, as per usual, as many of them requires kernel changes for support. And Microsoft won't test updates on specific new CPU features that 99.9999% of software don't use, as it is only on Intel latest CPUs. Imagine selling a software for Skylake CPU only... won't be making money, and people won't go out and run and buy a brand new PC just for the software. The only affected are those making specialty/custom software. Say for example, a company really want to use Intel Skylake new security or new instructions set. They'll all work fine under Windows 7, but if there is an update from MS to solve a security update, and now the feature doesn't work right or reduce performance, well too bad.

So, this affects no one, basically. So now you can just relax, and enjoy your computer with whatever CPU and OS combo you enjoy.

Does Windows 2000/XP install and run on your Skylake CPU? or any modern CPU, despite Microsoft pulling the plug entirely on updates, especially Windows 2000. Yes? See. No special updates needed, all works.

What Microsoft meant is that, Microsoft and Intel have been working closely together for implementing unique system features. One of them is waking up the system from sleep via Cortana. And other security features. Those won't be coming on Windows 8 or older, as per usual, as many of them requires kernel changes for support. And Microsoft won't test updates on specific new CPU features that 99.9999% of software don't use, as it is only on Intel latest CPUs. Imagine selling a software for Skylake CPU only... won't be making money, and people won't go out and run and buy a brand new PC just for the software. The only affected are those making specialty/custom software. Say for example, a company really want to use Intel Skylake new security or new instructions set. They'll all work fine under Windows 7, but if there is an update from MS to solve a security update, and now the feature doesn't work right or reduce performance, well too bad.

So, this affects no one, basically. So now you can just relax, and enjoy your computer with whatever CPU and OS combo you enjoy.

So because they want to do wake up on cortana, people with newer hardware either get 10 or no official support or security updates?

With Windows 7 now in extended support, we are focused on our commitment to deliver security, reliability, and compatibility to our installed base on their current systems. Redesigning Windows 7 subsystems to embrace new generations of silicon would introduce churn into the Windows 7 code base, and would break this commitment. Thus, today we are clarifying our Windows support policy:

Windows 7 will continue to be supported for security, reliability, and compatibility through January 14, 2020 on previous generation silicon. Windows 8.1 will receive the same support through January 10, 2023. This includes most of the devices available for purchase today by consumers or enterprises.

Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support. This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.

Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends. After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.

Sorry but when you equate what you're saying with the OP it just doesn't add up. Don't need the newer features, but dropping support completely it's unreasonable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So because they want to do wake up on cortana, people with newer hardware either get 10 or no official support or security updates?

It has other new features as I well, if I recall correctly, and you'll get your security updates just fine.

It is just that, IF, and ONLY IF, it happens that you use some specific CPU feature new to Skylake, because you really want to use it as a developer, an update might, potentially, cause issue with it, as Microsoft isn't doing any testing. And that, the new features that Microsoft and Intel have working together, won't be coming to Windows 7/8. This is nothing new. Once again, if you install Windows 2000 on your system, you'll get all the updates, including SP4, and its update afterwards, and everything will be working.

It has other new features as I well, if I recall correctly, and you'll get your security updates just fine.

It is just that, IF, and ONLY IF, it happens that you use some specific CPU feature new to Skylake, because you really want to use it as a developer, an update might, potentially, cause issue with it, as Microsoft isn't doing any testing. And that, the new features that Microsoft and Intel have working together, won't be coming to Windows 7/8. This is nothing new. Once again, if you install Windows 2000 on your system, you'll get all the updates, including SP4, and its update afterwards, and everything will be working.

That's not what the article says. No support is what they said, nothing specific about "no support for x and y and z" features. So again you're just doing damage control minimizing things for the company you have such a profound bias for or like always, they completely and utterly failed at the most simple of press releases making it seem much more worst.

Also stop comparing Windows 8.1 that came out 4 years ago or so to an OS that came out 16 years ago. Your analogy it's terrible and completely unfair: TODAY I wouldn't expect it to work no, but if I had a system on say 2004-5 I would expect it to work with 2000 and in fact I remember that it did.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's not what the article says. No support is what they said, nothing specific about "no support for x and y and z" features. So again you're just doing damage control minimizing things for the company you have such a profound bias for or like always, they completely and utterly failed at the most simple of press releases making it seem much more worst.

No no no.. you are not reading my post entirely. I clearly stated that the future updates will NOT BE TESTED for the CPU. In fact Microsoft says it, and adds that only emergency or SOME critical update will be tested.

Please read everything.

All I am saying, is that much like any older version of Windows, everything will work, despite having updates pulled. I CLEARLY state this.

Also stop comparing Windows 8.1 that came out 4 years ago or so to an OS that came out 16 years ago. Your analogy it's terrible and completely unfair: TODAY I wouldn't expect it to work no, but if I had a system on say 2004-5 I would expect it to work with 2000 and in fact I remember that it did.

Well it works. So you have nothing to say.

The day Intel goes "Well, let's ACTUALLY change x86 CPU architecture", now you should be concerned. Until then, Windows will work. So yes, you COULD make Windows 98 work on your system, however, due to the age of the OS, I recall it has trouble identifying 1GB of RAM and more, and the architecture of Windows is too old for PCI-E, SATA, etc, let alone have drivers, but they are ways to make it work to some level, and if it works to some level, then your CPU is operating the instructions, and hence compatible.

So I am not throwing crap, and I am not defending Microsoft. I am saying how the media is being sensationalism, and people like you, only read the title, let alone the first set of words, and assume the rest.

July 17 2017 is my 22nd birthday so i guess that'll be a nice opportunity to upgrade to some Kaby Lake-E Maybe? Intel? ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

In a way I'm favourable to as many people as possible doing the update, there aren't many reasosn not to and the higher the diffusion, the higher the security, just like vaccines. That said I still wish people had a choice in the matter without resorting to linux or freebsd

How does that work? Pretty sure windows xp was not coded for a 4790k ever but it still works

It's a matter of support for skylake specific security features - other windows versions will still work, but they may not support them.

So if you're running skylake and care about security you'll want windows 10 or no windows at all.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

In a way I'm favourable to as many people as possible doing the update, there aren't many reasosn not to and the higher the diffusion, the higher the security, just like vaccines. That said I still wish people had a choice in the matter without resorting to linux or freebsd

It's a matter of support for skylake specific security features - other windows versions will still work, but they may not support them.

So if you're running skylake and care about security you'll want windows 10 or no windows at all.

if they are skylake specific that means that people with haswell don't have those measures so its not the end of the world right?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if they are skylake specific that means that people with haswell don't have those measures so its not the end of the world right?

I'm not sure, maybe so - but maybe the same features are implemented differently

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm not sure, maybe so - but maybe the same features are implemented differently

I doubt this is new. I don't think windows xp got support for skylake.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Waiting for an unofficial patch to run Windows 7/8 on Zen...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I doubt this is new. I don't think windows xp got support for skylake.

It probaby still works, but many new features won't be available. For example I'd expect stuff like turbo boost to be completely broken.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It probaby still works, but many new features won't be available. For example I'd expect stuff like turbo boost to be completely broken.

windows has no idea what's going on during turbo but turbo goes through the bios not the os I think

windows has no idea what's going on during turbo but turbo goes through the bios not the os I think

Actually it goes through both the way I understand it - the settings and max/min frequencies are controlled by the bios, but the kernel is the one telling it when to turbo and how much.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Actually it goes through both the way I understand it - the settings and max/min frequencies are controlled by the bios, but the kernel is the one telling it when to turbo and how much.

I guess it only down locks in the bios but if you were to somehow put a load in the bios if won't turbo?

I guess it only down locks in the bios but if you were to somehow put a load in the bios if won't turbo?

The bios can't really tell when you're doing an intensive task, that's the os' job - as a result if the os doesn't know how to "speak" to the bios correctly you may end up running constantly at full turbo or never turbo at all

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So I am not throwing crap, and I am not defending Microsoft. I am saying how the media is being sensationalism, and people like you, only read the title, let alone the first set of words, and assume the rest.

Well these news sounded weird to me so I went and read the blog post, as well as several other websites reporting on it. It is so vaguely worded that I think it is just as big of an assumption to say it is only new features that won't be added to older versions of Windows, as it is to say they will completely stop security updates.

You'd think that explainig such a simple thing would be an easy task, but apparently Microsoft messed it up somehow.

edit:

I should probably add that it would make sense though, and I really hope, that it will just be that they won't port new CPU/motherboard based features back to older versions of Windows. So if Intel announces some biometric sensor hub in their next CPU then we won't get features that relies on that ported to let's say Windows 7. That's how they have handled things in the past, but then they go on about how the OS is more tightly integrated with the SoC nowadays, and stuff...

You'd think that explainig such a simple thing would be an easy task, but apparently Microsoft messed it up somehow.

Microshaft  "Windows 10 will be free for a year!"

User "Does that mean we can claim it for a year or just own it for a year?" 

Microshaft "Who fucking cares! Let me poorly explain it"

I heard Skylake required Windows 10 soon now old CPUs cannot use Windows 10? :o

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

so, some android flagships bearly get 12 months support and your fine, MS decide that there not gonna support new CPUs on software that is some 7 years old and you all loose your shit.   really.  

windows 7, the new XP......move on already, and before someone mentions privacy.....bullshit.  i call bullshit. most of you run chrome and use android......fucking google, the kings of privacy. then most of you post your shit all over twitter and facebook. FACEBOOK. jesus they made there money form selling data, it feels like every day they find a new way to invade your privacy and sell it, you all bang on about privacy but how many of you gave a shit before snowdon?  its got nothing to do with privacy and everything to do with hating on whatever company happens to be in the middle of the shit storm.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Well these news sounded weird to me so I went and read the blog post, as well as several other websites reporting on it. It is so vaguely worded that I think it is just as big of an assumption to say it is only new features that won't be added to older versions of Windows, as it is to say they will completely stop security updates.

Yea. Microsoft, for some reason, has horrible communication when it comes to announcement\communication.

That and most of their ads. They keep assuming, we all work for Microsoft, and we know exactly what is going on, to know what is being said exactly.