Google strongarm : YouTube just gave your favorite YouTube stars an ultimatum

Samfisher

Source 1 : http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/21/an-offer-creators-cant-refuse/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook#.iz1cic:xcBm

Source 2 : http://www.techinsider.io/youtube-is-forcing-partners-into-a-new-contract-2015-10

youtube-offer1.png?w=738

If they don't agree to support the ad-free service (thus accepting potentially less money from the loss of ad revenue), YouTube will have their videos hidden outright. It's not just a case of Google-owned YouTube being pushy, necessarily. YouTube's argument is that its "Partners" — some of YouTube's most prolific, popular video creators — need to support the service for consistency's sake.

According to Chief Business Officer Robert Kyncl at today’s YouTube Red launch event, 99% of content consumed on YouTube will be still available, noting that the vast majority of creators signed the deal. But they didn’t have much choice, otherwise they’d lose out on both the previous ad revenue, the new subscription revenue, and the connection with fans.

Kyncl says YouTube will pay out “the vast, vast majority of revenue” to creators, but he repeatedly refused to detail what that percentage would be. Subscriptions music service Spotify pays 70% and Apple Music pays 71.5%. Earlier this year, a change to YouTube Partner Program Terms said creators would be paid just 55% of revenue. That would be comparatively low.

The money will be split up according to watch time, so creators with longer videos could benefit more than quick clip producers. And to be clear, the removal situation and deal only apply to YouTube partners — very popular creators who already had a deal to earn 55% of ad revenue from their videos. Normal people uploading home videos to YouTube don’t have to worry about any of this.

Wow wow wow, did anyone expect this?  I....kinda did but not this harshly.  I don't know, yes 99% of the content would still be there for free, but would that 99% be the stuff the majority wants to watch?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Like I said on an earlier thread, Google is doing some sketchy stuff and I'm unsure how it will play out.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

If this is really true, that's really fucked up.

Hmm, this isn't right, im hoping youtube will pull theier head out of thier ass.

It's funny. People talk about every other company under the sun digging themselves into a hole they cannot escape. But this, this is downright insane. It's like they are using an excavator in place of a shovel.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I am sure the deal won't be to terrible, they sure don't want those big names going anywhere.  The industry is so big right now I'm sure they won't screw over the content creators to bad.

I think the money value of the video going up when the time is longer is nice, I hate seeing popular youtubers with millions of subscribers that just release like 2-3 minute videos.  I like watching 5-10 min videos, more content in them for sure.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If this is really true, that's really fucked up.

It's funny. People talk about every other company under the sun digging themselves into a hole they cannot escape. But this, this is downright insane. It's like they are using an excavator in place of a shovel.

their servers are powered by AMD :^)

/jk why the fuck is google doing this, we get it, you're a retarded company named alphabet, doesn't mean you get to act like nvidia

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I am sure the deal won't be to terrible, they sure don't want those big names going anywhere.  The industry is so big right now I'm sure they won't screw over the content creators to bad.

You think they won't?

Also I wonder wonder what LMG's take is on this, they'd have more insight into this than most of us.

NVM I found a response about the recent google things from nick

"We haven't received any more info than you guys have. #Google

I've heard that they are trying to create TV-level content to compete with services like Netflix (eg. the Pewds horror show or whatever)." NickLMG

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I dont like this

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Google "Don't be Evil".....yeah I'm not seeing them even trying to follow what they said.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You think they won't?

I know it seems bad, but I don't think they'd do something to severely damage their relationship with the content providers, considering they're the reason YT got so big in the first place ya'know?

I think once we have full details maybe it will make more sense.  I do agree it seems sort of messed up though.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I am curious how this will affect LTT channels.

I think I am missing something or misunderstanding something.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9.99 a month is a fucking joke...... That is $119 a year........

yup AND THERE'S RARELY EVER COPYRIGHT ISSUES THAT HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH

which is the EXACT reason why shit like netflix and hulu have to be paid

The information about YouTube Red is so damn sketchy, for all we know that cut could make Red subs view more valuable that free users which i'm actually hoping that's how is going to go, remember that a single view is worth less that cent of a dollar.

This can go either way, but people thinking worst case scenarios have good reasons to do.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So they're reacting like this after so many made the Vessel deal? This is like getting slapped and it literally taking them 6 months for them to react and say "Heeey! stop it!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Is youtube really trying to shoot themselves in the foot?, or is there something hidden that I'm not seeing?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

For all intents and purposes, YouTube has the best infrastructure of any online service.  Rarely if ever has a video failed to load when you want it to, unlike Vessel and even Twitch with that Amazon money (that doesn't seem to have done anything for bandwidth capacity even with the availability of in-house AWS...).  YouTube just works, but I'm not sure if that is enough to tide people over.  It really depends on what content is put behind a subscription and whether there are alternatives for those that are and whether you care at all about them or not.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.