ifixit banned from appstore and developer access for Apple TV teardown

pit5000

Apple is Apple, and Apple wants people to buy a new product instead of fixing the old one.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

lol so much for naming your company after the company that now wants to rip you apart...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They deserved it.

Btw, you should quote part of the article.

Edit:

It's like if nVidia told Linus not to release his review of an upcoming product and he did it anyways. You can expect nVidia to stop supplying him with products to review. You break a NDA, you face the consequences. 

Straight from iFixit's blog-

We weighed the risks, blithely tossed those risks over our shoulder, and tore down the Apple TV anyway.

They blatantly breached the NDA.

lol what did they expect. Good on Apple. 

I wonder how they deal with NDAs.

"Alright, we signed an NDA so that means we're not supposed to say anything under certain conditions."

*BLURTS ALL THE INFO*

I wonder how many warnings ifixit got before this... I hope Apple didn't just sever all ties on the first instance of a company who primarily makes guides and provides tools for tearing down products, who then preceded to tear down their product.

I like good humans and good food

And yet people still defend apple for being "innovative". So innovative that they'd hit you with a brick and steal your wallet if they could get away with it.

The amount of shill in the comments on that article is beyond absurd.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Don't do this, OK?!"

"Yes, yes officer Apple, we promise."

Ignores Apple and does what they're told not to do.

Gee I wonder why Apple doesn't like them now....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ugh, at this point people who drop their phone and break it exposing the inside of it might be sued for copyright infringement.

Not to mention being sued for reverse engineering because they saw the inside of the phone.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

#fapple

PMSL

I'm not really going to take sides with this one, apple shouldn't have given to ifixit if they didn't want it taken apart but if ifixit agreed not to tear it apart they shouldn't have.

"Don't do this, OK?!"

"Yes, yes officer Apple, we promise."

Ignores Apple and does what they're told not to do.

Gee I wonder why Apple doesn't like them now....

Seriously. It's amazing to see such a lack of professionalism especially when you're dealing with one of the most valuable companies in the world.

They deserved it.

Btw, you should quote part of the article.

Edit:

It's like if nVidia told Linus not to release his review of an upcoming product and he did it anyways. You can expect nVidia to stop supplying him with products to review. You break a NDA, you face the consequences. 

Straight from iFixit's blog-

They blatantly breached the NDA.

Unreal. I wonder how companies from now on will work with or collaborate with ifixit. Like you said, if Linus were to break NDA on confidential product launches or other information, not very many companies would want to work with him. 

Goddamn Apple at it's finest. I mean who cares?  " HOLY SHIT MATE THEY TOOK APART OUR SHITTY DEVICE THAT WE MILLIONS OF IN THE BACKROOM!"

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It's Apple, nothing surprising there. If you so much as rub them the wrong way, you're essentially blacklisted for life.

Also, I see a few people say they broke NDA, but was there really even an NDA on that? Not like nobody knew this thing was coming out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's Apple, nothing surprising there. If you so much as rub them the wrong way, you're essentially blacklisted for life.

And yet people still deny the fact that Apple does that.....

PMSL

Yes iFixit may have broke the agreement they had with Apple, but what advantages does Apple have by "cutting" them off? If anything iFixit helps Apple - because lets face it Apple likes money but I bet they don't really like having to fix broken screens for people and iFixit helps people do that them selves. Apple does however want to sell the person with a broken screen a new iPhone 6s- but that is besides the point. 

Apple knows what Ifixit does so if they didn't like it - why bother in the first place. Now iFixit will just get a sponsor to hand them products which will probably only escalate the problem and no one will be ahead anything. 

This is just another example of behind the scenes BS that frankly the Internet should just shrug off as It Apple being Apple and third parties not caring - then being woken up. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So ifixit could of waited to get a retail version of the product and they would of been fine. They have torn down every other Apple product with no consequences. I don't see why they decided to tear down their developer edition...

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Seems appropriate to me. Posting a detailed teardown of a product that is under NDA is a move that kind of deserves being blacklisted for. Kind of a dick move to remove the iFixit app from the appstore too though.

Yea it was a side affect of their developer account being deleted. They did break the developer contract with Apple so it makes sense that the account was deleted which took the app with it

Also, I see a few people say they broke NDA, but was there really even an NDA on that? Not like nobody knew this thing was coming out.

It was hardware supplied through the developer program which has restrictions on it. Similar to how Linus cannot sell engineering sample CPUs and was already pushing his relationship with intel when he gave away the Engineering Sample 6700K at the fan meetup (he did make it clear to the person that got it that they cannot sell it).

Yes iFixit may have broke the agreement they had with Apple, but what advantages does Apple have by "cutting" them off? If anything iFixit helps Apple - because lets face it Apple likes money but I bet they don't really like having to fix broken screens for people and iFixit helps people do that them selves. Apple does however want to sell the person with a broken screen a new iPhone 6s- but that is besides the point. 

Apple knows what Ifixit does so if they didn't like it - why bother in the first place. Now iFixit will just get a sponsor to hand them products which will probably only escalate the problem and no one will be ahead anything. 

This is just another example of behind the scenes BS that frankly the Internet should just shrug off as It Apple being Apple and third parties not caring - then being woken up.

It's more profitable for Apple to fix a broken screen than it is for someone to fix it themselves

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Seriously. It's amazing to see such a lack of professionalism especially when you're dealing with one of the most valuable company in the world.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)