Comcast tests $30 fee that gets rid of internet data cap

jos
 While Verizon, Charter, and other wired ISPs usually have a breaking point with their unlimited service plans, it's nothing as formal as Comcast's series of "data usage plan trials," which set a (generally) 300GB limit in certain areas of the country. Now, though, Florida subscribers can get truly unlimited data — but it costs an extra $30 a month

Now we can eat as much data as we want.. take a gigabit connection and just consume data..

Source:  http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/1/9241613/comcast-unlimited-data-option-test

You shouldn't have to pay for both speed and capacity. You should have to pay for one or the other. Either unlimited data and a set speed or unlimited speed (1000/1000) and data caps. 

kek.

Comcast, doing stuff that is normally included in many parts of the world..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

haha 30 USD for unlimited. I can get 250mbps for 84$ a month CAD including no download cap.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

this is such BS... yet i have no other highspeed internet option from another provider where i live... 

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

So Comcast wants to take away the unlimited data that the majority of the country has had for the last 7-10 years then sell it back to us for $30 more per month just so we could get back what we had. That's like if someone came into your house and stole your refrigerator, then asked you if you wanted to rent it from them for $30 per month. 

Fuck off Comcast, you're drunk.

I know it's not available everywhere, but, how much was Google Fiber? $40/month for unlimited 100mbps internet access?

Comcast keeps on digging.

Inb4 they do the same thing as Telecom did and target those who use 'absurd' amounts of data on their UNLIMITED data plans.

If you're referring to T-Mobile going after those 200tb users, you really need to learn to read. Tmobile's plan offers unlimited data to use on your phone, not to tether to other devices, the people they labeled as "abusers" bypassed tmobile's way of detecting tether, hence they are abusing their unlimited data plan.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What? American has data caps? Every American i've spoken to say they don't or they do but it's not enforced wtf! How come when i go on Comcast's website and look at the plans i can't find the data cap anywhere?

If you guys really have 300gb data cap thats messed up. In Aus if you go with a not so good ISP which you have to deal with congestion you can get unlimited for $60 a month but they have been known to bitch you use 2TB, also for $120 with a decent ISP you can get a 1TB cap. I can't believe Comcast has a 300gb cap, i can go over that with my shitty 11mbps easy so if i had 75mbps i would easily go to 1TB lol.

If you're referring to T-Mobile going after those 200tb users, you really need to learn to read. Tmobile's plan offers unlimited data to use on your phone, not to tether to other devices, the people they labeled as "abusers" bypassed tmobile's way of detecting tether, hence they are abusing their unlimited data plan.

You really need to learn to read. It was 2TB users, I think you will find.

You really need to learn to read. It was 2TB users, I think you will find.

Oops, I got the number wrong, still not as bad as thinking t-mobile is going after people who use 2tb of data while following the terms of service.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What? American has data caps? Every American i've spoken to say they don't or they do but it's not enforced wtf! How come when i go on Comcast's website and look at the plans i can't find the data cap anywhere?

It's not country-wide, Comcast doesn't operate across the whole country. Even in the areas where Comcast operates, it depends on the region. They charge for data in markets where they can get away with it.

I have Time Warner where I live. No data cap.

Bullshit. We're paying for the bandwidth so fucking give us it. The amount of data is meaningless, what matters is the total bandwidth being used. Upgrade some of that infrastructure with your 98% profit and maybe then you'd lose your shit reputation

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

This does make one wonder though, could you legally take them to court if they try to throttle you in any way?  Since you are specifically paying for no restrictions?  Or is it still worded for unlimited "fair use", where if you use more than everyone else they punish you?

I don't currently have a data cap, but if it was my only option (as it is in many areas), I would likely pay it.  Since it is worth it to me, still cheaper than a business line.

Dear god I wish I was in charge of the FCC, or able to force congress to bring anti-trust/anti-consumer investigations against the big ISP's.

"unlimited"

remember, this is Comcast we're talking about

Meaning "f**k you, give us your money, but we're still going to f**k you anyways"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Either way, the data is being used in the exact same manner just on a different device. So straight up the 'phone only' part of that plan is stupid.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Either way, the data is being used in the exact same manner just on a different device. So straight up the 'phone only' part of that plan is stupid.

Data is data, traffic is traffic, treating any of it differently is retarded.

And this coming from someone in a bachelor degree program for network security. God I hope none of the companies I ever apply for (I guess it only counts for ISP's though) see my anti-corporation/anti-throttling posts.

Data is data, traffic is traffic, treating any of it differently is retarded.

Which is exactly the way T-Mobile is acting.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Which is exactly the way T-Mobile is acting.

Indeed.

I swear, if I was president, 99% of our problems as a society would be gone over-night.

Indeed.

I swear, if I was president, 99% of our problems as a society would be gone over-night.

"problems" will be gone along with capitalism. Most of your "solutions" lead to a communist country.

"problems" will be gone along with capitalism. Most of your "solutions" lead to a communist country.

Actually no, I would be just as tough on the government. I would enact/enforce a "fourth" branch of government. Consisting of a popular vote by the entire country. Nothing that the other three branches pass, would be law until it was finally approved by the fourth branch.

Not to mention imprisoning those currently occupying the 3 branches right now. I would also continue the NSA's prism program (mass spying) but only for the purpose of spying on politicians, and anyone who has any direct family or social relation to them. And all of that information would be immediately declassified as public information.

Actually no, I would be just as tough on the government. I would enact/enforce a "fourth" branch of government. Consisting of a popular vote by the entire country. Nothing that the other three branches pass, would be law until it was finally approved by the fourth branch.

Not to mention imprisoning those currently occupying the 3 branches right now. I would also continue the NSA's prism program (mass spying) but only for the purpose of spying on politicians, and anyone who has any direct family or social relation to them. And all of that information would be immediately declassified as public information.

That would end up as a chaotic situation, and doesn't sound like you have a deep understanding of the government, just basics that is taught in school.

telus already does in canada.  And our bandwidth caps are ridiculously low to begin with.....